Best Friend's Breast Cancer Cake

Decorating By TheBlonde Updated 10 Aug 2009 , 11:13pm by Bunsen

TheBlonde Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TheBlonde Posted 6 Aug 2009 , 4:30pm
post #1 of 16

I'm not going to go into a ton of details because I don't want to depress anyone but here's the situation. I have 2 best friends. One of them died from leukemia 3 years ago and the other was diagnosed with breast cancer 4 months ago. We're only 26...go figure... Well, my best friend is going through Chemo and is having a horrible time keeping up with the medical bills so one of her friends is throwing her a huge benefit. So I knew the question was coimng... can I do the cake? LOL So I need some fantastic ideas. I don't want to do an all about breast cancer cake...I want to somehow work my friend's spunky attitude into it...something modern looking. Any and all ideas are welcome...pics too if you can find anything...thanks!

15 replies
Dalicha Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dalicha Posted 7 Aug 2009 , 4:00pm
post #2 of 16

Well i think like a women upper body with the foundant like this fabric (i don't nkow how to explain) like this peace of fabric tha we used with a fancy dress at the shoulder make out of foundant and shaped around the "body" cross at the front simulating the sign of the breast cancer symbol that cover the body discretly, have they symbol and you can make some cosmetic around because they are beatyfull all the time, in side and out.

SuzyNoQ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SuzyNoQ Posted 7 Aug 2009 , 5:08pm
post #3 of 16

What about a pink ribbon?

arosstx Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
arosstx Posted 7 Aug 2009 , 5:24pm
post #4 of 16

CC told me it wouldn't submit, then it did - sorry for double post!

arosstx Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
arosstx Posted 7 Aug 2009 , 5:26pm
post #5 of 16

Maybe this cake I did will give you an idea? I was in a similar boat, and this is what I came up with. Good luck and prayers to your friend.
LL

JoJo0855 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoJo0855 Posted 7 Aug 2009 , 5:59pm
post #6 of 16

Is the cake being served at the event? Personally, what I'd do is a simple sheet cake to feed everyone PLUS a showcase piece (2 tier w/fun design?) to be raffled during the benefit.
This way you're letting others know what your cakes taste like and what kind of incredible decorating you do plus you're adding to the amount raised for your friend.

icon_smile.gif

pkinkema Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pkinkema Posted 7 Aug 2009 , 6:15pm
post #7 of 16

Don't know about your friend, but I'm speaking from my personal (and very recent) experience.

I was diagnosed on Good Friday, had a mastectomy in May. I'm a total advocate (nut) for breast cancer awareness now--and anything pink ribbon is what I would want!

I have a very cute pink ribbon pin that is shaped like a daisy. The "feet" of the ribbon are towards the inside and the loops on the outside--all joined. Does this make sense? It would be adorable on a round cake. Could put a round on top of another cake to feed more if you needed to.

Ebay also has the pink ribbon sprinkles that are a combination of light and dark pink. You could sprinkle them on the borders....

Spinning Leaf has a Oreo cookie mold that has the pink ribbon. Once you put pink in for the ribbon, white in for the covering and the oreo, you get a freekin' fantastic tasting and adorable cookie!

OR....a friend sent me the most magnificient chocolate covered strawberry arrangement. The choc s'berries were drizzled in shades of pink and some had ribbons on them. Those would be gorgeous on a cake.

Your friend will be touched by your thoughtfulness. Thank you for that.

madgeowens Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
madgeowens Posted 8 Aug 2009 , 6:13am
post #8 of 16

That pink ribbon cake is perfect and as soon as I read this post I thought pink ribbon. I think thats perfect.

miasuzzette Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
miasuzzette Posted 8 Aug 2009 , 6:41am
post #9 of 16

What an amazing Cake. My sister at the age of 30. Was Diagnose with Breast Cancer. Now it's been a Year, We are Praying that her Mammogram, comes back,Normal and she would be Cancer Free. Now, I have a Good Friend that was Diagnose with Breast Cancer, We really have to do something to Fight this Monster. I Did the walk last year & Would be doing it this Year. It's called Making Strides Against Breast Cancer... We have to get this out in the open for Women to read and know more about it. It hit me. When it touched my Home...

Thanks for reading...Have a Good one... thumbs_up.gif

TheBlonde Posted 10 Aug 2009 , 12:10am
post #10 of 16

Thank you everyone. I really got some great ideas. I'm still torn between the torso cake and a 2-3 tier cake with the pink cancer ribbon and some kind of funky design to it. I may just do both icon_smile.gif .... We are having a bunch of raffles at the fundraiser. Maybe one of my cakes could be a raffle. Well, at least I have until October 4th to figure it out. Thanks ladies!!!

three4thequeen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
three4thequeen Posted 10 Aug 2009 , 3:00am
post #11 of 16

If your friend is spunky maybe you'll find inspiration from this. It's a bumper magnet that I'm going to give my 'survivor' mom. She's got a great sense of humor and this is a worthwhile organization as well. Best of luck. Great project.
LL

TheBlonde Posted 10 Aug 2009 , 10:30am
post #12 of 16

OMG....HAHAHA I love the bumper sticker magnet...I may just have to get one for my car as well! icon_smile.gif

Eisskween Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Eisskween Posted 10 Aug 2009 , 10:49am
post #13 of 16

I don't know if this will help with ideas, but I did this one for a wedding. The bride requested a breast cancer theme cake.

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1397524

Bunsen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bunsen Posted 10 Aug 2009 , 11:02am
post #14 of 16

What about using diamantes to make up the pink ribbon design? Add a bit of bling to it!
Wishing your friend all the best for her recovery.

TheBlonde Posted 10 Aug 2009 , 12:42pm
post #15 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunsen

What about using diamantes to make up the pink ribbon design? Add a bit of bling to it!
Wishing your friend all the best for her recovery.

What are diamantes and where can I get them. She would love some bling bling on her cake!

Bunsen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bunsen Posted 10 Aug 2009 , 11:13pm
post #16 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBlonde

What are diamantes and where can I get them. She would love some bling bling on her cake!

Have a look at the princess cake and tiara in my pictures, these have pink Swarovsky crystals on them - I used the "flat backed non-hot fix" ones, they come in lots of different shapes, sizes and various shades of pink. I ordered mine from a company called Beadcharm here in Australia.

They are not edible so have to be removed before the cake is served and it has also been raised on here before that they may not be food safe as they are made with lead - some debate as to whether this can leach out into the food (that said I know several of the bigger cake companies here use them) So I would suggest you put them on a separate piece of gumpaste and stick that onto the cake instead of directly onto the bits people will eat.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%