Does This Seem A Little Odd?

Business By Jessica1817 Updated 8 Aug 2009 , 9:23pm by 1234me

Jessica1817 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jessica1817 Posted 6 Aug 2009 , 5:03am
post #1 of 28

I recently took an order for a birthday cake. The client followed up with an email asking:

"I also wanted to know if it would be ok to put your business information on the party invitations in case someone would like to know anything?"

I asked what she had in mind, and she wanted to put my company name and phone # on the invites. I can't imagine a problem or anything here, it just hit me as a little odd. On the other hand, I guess it puts my name out there to potential clients. Any thoughts before I respond???

27 replies
__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 6 Aug 2009 , 5:05am
post #2 of 28

That is odd. I want to say right on, but I have never heard of anyone requesting such a thing. I guess it's like....looking a gift horse in the mouth or something? I do not know what to think of that.

Rose_N_Crantz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rose_N_Crantz Posted 6 Aug 2009 , 5:21am
post #3 of 28

Is the guest of honor not interesting enough that the host feels the need to "bait" more party guests by advertising who is doing the cake?

I would feel oddly insulted and complimented at the same time, though I can't put my finger on where the insult would be. . .

JaimeAnn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JaimeAnn Posted 6 Aug 2009 , 5:24am
post #4 of 28

A little odd.. Do you know the people wanting to do this or is it just a random customer?

The only thing I get out of that is in case someone has food allergies or questions about what will be in the cake.

madgeowens Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
madgeowens Posted 6 Aug 2009 , 5:26am
post #5 of 28

Yes, thats what I thought, about food allergies...but its still odd

Jessica1817 Posted 6 Aug 2009 , 5:30am
post #6 of 28

I don't know the client, this is the first order placed by her. I had thought of food allergies as well, but still can't imagine having my info on all the invites icon_confused.gif As odd as it seems, I can't think of a legitimate reason to ask her not to.

Rose_N_Crantz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rose_N_Crantz Posted 6 Aug 2009 , 5:57am
post #7 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessica1817

I don't know the client, this is the first order placed by her. I had thought of food allergies as well, but still can't imagine having my info on all the invites icon_confused.gif As odd as it seems, I can't think of a legitimate reason to ask her not to.

On the other hand, I can't think of a legitimate reason why she would want to put that information on the invitations.

Maybe you should just flat out ask her. "Sure, may I ask why? I only ask because I've never had this request before. . ."

G_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
G_Cakes Posted 6 Aug 2009 , 6:22am
post #8 of 28

Maybe what you can do is offer to give her your business card instead that she might include it in the envelope with the invite instead of writing it on the actual invite.

Win Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Win Posted 6 Aug 2009 , 6:33am
post #9 of 28

I went out to your website and looked at your pictures... icon_eek.gif Your wedding cakes are gorgeous, and your others are great as well! LOVE that starfish bride and groom! Anyway, allergies might be a reason for the request, but might also be that she respects your work and just wants to give you props. If you are uncomfortable with actually being listed on the invitation, you could possibly divert yet save by stating you would be happy to leave additional business cards with the cake so that she does not have to go to all the trouble of adding your info to the invitations... (you'd hate it if there was any kind of mix-up like a number transposed, etc., this way you still have your name out there without any possibility of a mistake in the printing.)

Jessica1817 Posted 6 Aug 2009 , 7:39pm
post #10 of 28

Thanks so much for your thoughts and ideas! I'm emailing her now, we'll see what she says thumbs_up.gif

Ruth0209 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ruth0209 Posted 6 Aug 2009 , 8:02pm
post #11 of 28

Based on the cakes on your web site, you may just be the status symbol component of the whole celebration. We have a cake designer like that where I live (alas, not me YET...) who if you tell people you're serving one of his cakes everyone oohs and ahhs and is very impressed because he's good and he's expensive.

If that's the case, it seems like a tacky thing of the hostess to do, but I wouldn't worry about it. I had one bride put me in her wedding program which I thought was goofy, too, but it was free advertising.

brincess_b Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brincess_b Posted 6 Aug 2009 , 8:59pm
post #12 of 28

im actually thinking it might be a ploy to ask for a discount! since she is doing your advertising... maybe thats just cynical though, lol.
xx

klallen21 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
klallen21 Posted 6 Aug 2009 , 9:22pm
post #13 of 28

I recently went to a wedding where the caterer placed a price list on the food table. I thought it was a bit tacky....

But this is a bit different...I think asking "why?" is appropriate...

Looking forward to seeing what your customer says! icon_smile.gif

3GCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
3GCakes Posted 6 Aug 2009 , 9:27pm
post #14 of 28

Well....for instance if the cake were from "Charm City Cakes"....

yeah...I can see where putting the name on the invites would "attract" more YES RSVP's than no's....

Maybe you are more popular and sought after than you are giving yourself credit for?

Also, my sister and her new husband THANKED each person who provided any kind of service (paid for or not) in their wedding program. I was billed as 'cake artist" (it was my gift) and the band was thanked (they were paid for) as well as the venue (paid for).

I think your customers are really just trying to be gracious.

all4cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
all4cake Posted 6 Aug 2009 , 9:52pm
post #15 of 28

I'd say it was a combination of bragging and satisfying the curious as well as passing on the info (seems far easier than passing out business cards. I think it's a great idea for the one sending the invites as well as the one(s) being mentioned.

colleenant Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
colleenant Posted 6 Aug 2009 , 9:53pm
post #16 of 28

Maybe she's listing all the providers of the party on the invite, so its clear what type of party it is. Kind of like advertisement for an event, they list everyone that is participating in the event.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 6 Aug 2009 , 10:00pm
post #17 of 28

It seems odd that she asked. Doing it doesn't seem odd but asking permission seems odd.

I mean I would brag or comment that Hey guess what we're getting the eats from blablabla place. But I would not ask blablabla place if I could mention it. Yes odd.

Hope all your legalities are in order.

Jessica1817 Posted 6 Aug 2009 , 10:14pm
post #18 of 28

I sent her an email but haven't heard back yet. Thanks so much for all of your nice comments, it never occurred to me that using my company name was possibly to attract guests icon_smile.gif I'll keep you updated.....

And yes, I am fully legal--proudly licensed and insured since 2007 thumbs_up.gif

Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 6 Aug 2009 , 10:26pm
post #19 of 28

She's not expecting a discount on the cake in return for her giving your business "advertisement" exposure is she? Just a thought..........

nickymom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nickymom Posted 6 Aug 2009 , 10:26pm
post #20 of 28

If your business is well known in your area I really don't see anything odd about it.......she just wants to let her guests know where the cake is coming from.....perhapes she has heard of your business and thinks it will impress her guests to know she is getting the cake from your business. LOL
If I had a cool bakery in my idea and it was well known like for example Ace of Cake I'd put "come to my party the cake will be from Ace of Cakes!" on all the invites. LOL

sweetcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetcakes Posted 7 Aug 2009 , 3:23am
post #21 of 28

i hadsomething similar once, aperson called to order a cake, then mentioned that she planned on talking about it on her blog and that i would be mentioned, then she wanted a discount. actually i think she wanted it free. i didn't do her cake.

all4cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
all4cake Posted 7 Aug 2009 , 3:42am
post #22 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetcakes

i hadsomething similar once, aperson called to order a cake, then mentioned that she planned on talking about it on her blog and that i would be mentioned, then she wanted a discount. actually i think she wanted it free. i didn't do her cake.

LOL!

cakeladyofga Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeladyofga Posted 7 Aug 2009 , 5:27pm
post #23 of 28

I had this happen just last month. I did wedding cake (as a gift) but was asked if I would like my name and number on a list of other people helping out with the wedding (DJs, flowers...etc). I said "no" because I'm not a legal. But I could have kicked myself for not getting all my ducks in a row for the inspection. I thought it was a great way to get more customers, if they liked the cake.

Rosie2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rosie2 Posted 7 Aug 2009 , 5:46pm
post #24 of 28

She probably wants a free cake....or a big discount!

alvarezmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alvarezmom Posted 7 Aug 2009 , 8:00pm
post #25 of 28

Your cakes are beautiful. I am in AWHHHH with the aqua (?) and brown cake that is on the 2nd page! Very elegant and modern. I love it.

Maybe she is just one of those ppl who list where the food is from..she could be a stickler for appearances. One of my boss' is that way. Some ppl think she is being snobby or want to show off but she does it so she's not having to tell 20+ ppl where she got certain things from.

Jessica1817 Posted 8 Aug 2009 , 12:32am
post #26 of 28

Here's an update, sort of... She said she wanted to include the company name/phone number in case anyone had any questions (same thing as before). I told her it would be fine, at this point I figured it could just give me more exposure.
Thanks for all your responses!!!

ceshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ceshell Posted 8 Aug 2009 , 7:23pm
post #27 of 28

I think she answered you the way she did, because she doesn't want to admit that she is trying to brag about getting the cake from you thumbs_up.gif. Seriously, I think it was meant as a compliment. I only do cakes for friends, but the last two friends for whom I baked had casual parties and used Evites for their invitations. Both of them put in the evite that *I* was doing their cake. Obviously it wasn't to advertise for me since I don't sell, but it was a nice way to honor my contribution and also they wanted people know they were going to have a cool cake icon_biggrin.gif. I'll bet it's the same for you, but she doesn't want to come out and say it.

Hey it's better than the opposite, where they want to pretend they made it themselves LOLOL.

1234me Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
1234me Posted 8 Aug 2009 , 9:23pm
post #28 of 28

I would offer to give her cards at pick-up and if she wants to give them out at the party, then let her. I wouldn't want my name in the invite - to me that is strange. Will she list where she got the plates, decorations, food, etc?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%