Fondant Question

Baking By toleshed Updated 6 Aug 2009 , 8:40pm by toleshed

toleshed Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
toleshed Posted 5 Aug 2009 , 8:28pm
post #1 of 3

I just got a job at a bakery as their cookie decorator. The bakery isn't open yet. I have been told to go ahead and make a list of everything I will need. I am terrible as far as anything on sugar cookies other than fondant. I just can't get the hang of it. So my question is this: should I tell them I want to buy fondant or should I try to make it? In my home business, I make all of the fondant. But of course this will entail a much bigger production. But I have never tasted store bought fondant and have heard a lot of negative thoughts.
Anyone care to comment? Thanks

2 replies
BeeBoos-8599_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BeeBoos-8599_ Posted 5 Aug 2009 , 10:12pm
post #2 of 3

I think I would give them the chance to decide what works best for thier budget. Price out the ingredients yo uwill need to make your own and the price for whatever brand you want to work with. Have they seen your work? If you showed them pictures of the cookies you have done with fondant and they hired you based on that then great. If they are expecting you to be able to decorate with royal icing, butter cream etc... then I would start practicing. There are also some beautifull rice papers out there for placing on cookies. Try www. fancyflours.com I hope this helps you.

toleshed Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
toleshed Posted 6 Aug 2009 , 8:40pm
post #3 of 3

Thanks BeeBoos-8599_
They looked at my website and then hired me. So guess I'm good to go. icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%