New York State Laws

Business By vmertsock Updated 13 Aug 2009 , 3:06pm by cutthecake

vmertsock Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vmertsock Posted 5 Aug 2009 , 8:20pm
post #1 of 4

Does anyone have links to official information on home bakery businesses in New York State? I'm having an awful time finding what is an isn't allowed. A few years ago when I looked into I found that NYS was rather strict about what was and was not allowed but I can't seem to locate the source. I'm actually looking at starting a chocolate business, and until I find a location, get capital, etc I would consider doing it out of my home. I called them directly but haven't had a response. Thanks so much for any information anyone might have! I think I've heard that at least in PA you need a designated kitchen for baking, but candy and chocolate making are a different matter. It'd be great if that were true and it was a similar situation in NYS.

3 replies
peg818 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peg818 Posted 13 Aug 2009 , 2:31pm
post #2 of 4

The last i checked into it (was several years ago) you could bake some out of your home (if local zoning permitted) but you could do no chocolates, cream fillings, cream or custard pies. There was quite a list, and you are only allowed wholesale through your home kitchen. Check with the department of agriculture, they are who regulates the home processors.

NYCGiGi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NYCGiGi Posted 13 Aug 2009 , 2:44pm
post #3 of 4

I am also trying to find information on this as well; I live in New York City so I know the laws can be quite different here in "this magical land." icon_smile.gif

cutthecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cutthecake Posted 13 Aug 2009 , 3:06pm
post #4 of 4

Laws in New York State vary by county. I think the more rural areas are more likely to allow home baking. The downstate counties are more restrictive. You have to contact your county's department of health and/or agriculture. I think some upstate counties allow home baking for farmer's market-type sales.
You can start by looking at NYS Department of Health's website.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%