Scullpt/carve A Cake?

Decorating By honeydragon Updated 6 Aug 2009 , 8:36pm by Cake_Princess

honeydragon Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
honeydragon Posted 5 Aug 2009 , 7:53pm
post #1 of 9

How would I go about sculpting/carving a cake? Do I need to freeze it first? Please, any info!

8 replies
Normita Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Normita Posted 5 Aug 2009 , 8:09pm
post #2 of 9

It is much easier to carve a frozen or semi-frozen cake. It will lead to less crumbs. And also use a dense cake recipe. Hope this helps icon_smile.gif

honeydragon Posted 5 Aug 2009 , 9:58pm
post #3 of 9

thanks! that's what i thought, but I just wasn't sure. it will help a lot! thumbs_up.gif

varika Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
varika Posted 5 Aug 2009 , 10:18pm
post #4 of 9

Using a serrated steak knife that is smaller than the huge honkin' things you see on Ace of Cakes is much easier, too. You carve away smaller pieces but you have more control over it.

Jen80 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jen80 Posted 6 Aug 2009 , 1:17am
post #5 of 9

varika is right the smaller the better. I used a serrated paring knife with my first sculpted cake and it was perfect. You can also freeze it again after you put your buttercream on and then do more carving just to get a bit more detail and smoothness in the buttercream itself.

I've also found that if I substitute pineapple juice instead of milk in a cake batter the cake ends up firmer (perfect for carving) and more moist.
You can only just notice the difference in taste.

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 6 Aug 2009 , 1:33am
post #6 of 9

I find sculpting refrigerated cakes easier than frozen cakes. The frozen cakes seem too hard.

Wendl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Wendl Posted 6 Aug 2009 , 1:45am
post #7 of 9

From what Bronwen Weber said at one of the Austin Cake Competitions she was a guest at, carving a frozen cake is a NO WAY IN HECK thing to do. It's like using a dull knife to cut something. On a frozen cake, you use more pressure w/the knife - and when the knife slips on the frozen cake - it's bodily damage time.
I only carve chilled cakes, never frozen. I can't be cutting a ligament, severing a finger tip. I can always make up for a rough cut w/more buttercream and working the fondant. Can't do the same to fix a fleshwound.

honeydragon Posted 6 Aug 2009 , 5:31pm
post #8 of 9

thanks everyone! you've been a big help! thumbs_up.gif

Cake_Princess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cake_Princess Posted 6 Aug 2009 , 8:36pm
post #9 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by honeydragon

How would I go about sculpting/carving a cake? Do I need to freeze it first? Please, any info!

The best tip I can give you is to use a sharp knife. The sharper the knife The less crumbs you will need to deal with. I rarely chill any of my carved caked. I just start carving with a sharp knife. Also, the size of the knife should be appropriate to the size of the cake you are carving.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%