How Would You Charge For A Gluten Free, Dairy Free Cake?

Decorating By anjaligg Updated 6 Aug 2009 , 2:52am by LaBellaFlor

anjaligg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
anjaligg Posted 5 Aug 2009 , 7:01pm
post #1 of 5

After 4 years of experimenting with various gluten free cake mixes, I can bake a delicious cake that is gluten, dairy and nuts free. My friends are asking me to bake (same recipe) for them as well. My question is what should I charge for a, say, 10" buttercream birthday cake. I have to be charging way more than supermarket prices since this is allergen free specialty. None of the places that I know sell such a cake. Would it be unreasonable to quote them $200?
What would you charge?

4 replies
EatSomeCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
EatSomeCake Posted 5 Aug 2009 , 8:04pm
post #2 of 5

I think $200 is quite a lot for a 10" birthday cake, that would probably send most people running. I would say that charging 1/3 more than your regular priced cake of this size would be adequate to cover the extra hassle and the expensive cost of special ingredients. Obviously there are other factors too such as how extensively or not it is decorated...

Ironbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ironbaker Posted 6 Aug 2009 , 2:02am
post #3 of 5

I wouldn't charge anything different from other cakes unless you're using more expensive ingredients (flour, etc)...of course, account for those added costs. But you're also not using things like butter, eggs, etc. So those expenses would not be there.

To me, you're using the same process to bake a cake and decorate it, just different ingredients. I wouldn't charge $200 for a 10in cake. I can understand doing a bit more because it's "specialty" but not that much more.

LaBellaFlor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaBellaFlor Posted 6 Aug 2009 , 2:50am
post #4 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironbaker

I wouldn't charge anything different from other cakes unless you're using more expensive ingredients (flour, etc)...of course, account for those added costs. But you're also not using things like butter, eggs, etc. So those expenses would not be there.

To me, you're using the same process to bake a cake and decorate it, just different ingredients. I wouldn't charge $200 for a 10in cake. I can understand doing a bit more because it's "specialty" but not that much more.

I agree. A 10" cake serves 38, so at a base cost of $3.00 for basic buttercream, it would only be $114.

LaBellaFlor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaBellaFlor Posted 6 Aug 2009 , 2:52am
post #5 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiffraine

I think $200 is quite a lot for a 10" birthday cake, that would probably send most people running. I would say that charging 1/3 more than your regular priced cake of this size would be adequate to cover the extra hassle and the expensive cost of special ingredients. Obviously there are other factors too such as how extensively or not it is decorated...

And adding a 1/3 more to the cost, you still only get $148.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%