Help!!! How Do I Add The Gumpaste Flower To A Wire?????

Decorating By cakeflake80 Updated 5 Aug 2009 , 9:43pm by cakeflake80

cakeflake80 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeflake80 Posted 5 Aug 2009 , 6:33pm
post #1 of 4

So I made my very first gumpaste flowers for an upcoming cake, and ran into a problem that I didn't expect. How do I put the flower onto a wire so that it stays put? I poked the wire through the center (not all the way through), but it just seems as though it would fall off if the wind blew! Any help is GREATLY appreciated!!!

3 replies
PinkZiab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PinkZiab Posted 5 Aug 2009 , 6:38pm
post #2 of 4

You usually make the flower directly on the wire. Depending on the type of flower, I make the centers ahead of time with the wires in them and allow them to dry, then make the flowers themselves later on, or if it's the type of flower that doesn't have a "center" exactly, I just build on the wire. It helps if you make a hook in the end of the wire to catch inside the gumpaste.

Since your flowers are already made, I suggest using a little gum glue to glue the wires into the flowers.

Mensch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mensch Posted 5 Aug 2009 , 6:41pm
post #3 of 4

I heat the end of the wire and stick it in.

cakeflake80 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeflake80 Posted 5 Aug 2009 , 9:43pm
post #4 of 4

Thank you very much! What is 'gum glue'? I have heard it mentioned on this site, but never knew what it was (or if it's something that you can make). I use the Wilton pre-made gumpaste. The flowers I am making are daisies using the daisy cut out. If I were to make the center on the wire first, would I then just thread the other end of the wire though the center of the daisy until it meets the center, and let it dry? That makes sense...hopefully that is what you mean!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%