Need Help With Strawberry Birthday Cake

Decorating By wharvey86 Updated 6 Aug 2009 , 12:25pm by KHalstead

wharvey86 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wharvey86 Posted 5 Aug 2009 , 5:45pm
post #1 of 2

Hey everyone, i have just recently gotten into cake decorating and my fiance's brother wants me to make his birthday cake for him. I dont plan on doing anything too fancy decorating wise i am focusing more on the taste than the look for starters. He wants me to make him a cake that uses yellow or white cake with strawberries filling in the middle and chocolate icing ontop with some chocolate dipped strawberries ontop and around the sides. I have been looking for a good recipe/technique for doing this type of cake and have come across quite a few different fillings to make with strawberries. I was wondering which type of filling would taste the best with that combination of cake and icing. Should i got with a strawberry and whip cream mix, strawberry and vanilla custard, just put icing and sliced strawberries? Is it better to use the strawberries slices or pureed? Any othe tips/techniques/ or even example pictures would be great !!! Thanks!

1 reply
KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 6 Aug 2009 , 12:25pm
post #2 of 2

judging by the fact that he wants choc. icing and choc. dipped strawberries I would assume choc. and strawb. are a combo he loves. I would take strawberries and slice them, (not too thin because they start to soften and break down and you still want a nice fresh texture to them) and put them in a bowl, sprinkle a tad of sugar on them if they're not fully ripened and give them a little dousing of vanilla extract....not too much, maybe a capful for 2-3 cups of strawberries. Toss them around and throw them in the fridge until you're ready to work with them. Then I would say just use some of the choc. icing or even a choc. ganache (choc. and heavy cream) to put in between the cakes and add the fresh slices of strawberry.

One of my most popular fillings is a cassada filling, which is just sliced strawberries and bavarian cream filling (which is like a van. custard).......I would definitely go with the fresh strawberrries though, especially since you'll already have them on hand for dipping in choc. Pick out the prettiest ones for dipping and then slice the rest for inside the cake!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%