A Little Survey

Decorating By ZlatkaT Updated 6 Aug 2009 , 2:06am by jlsheik

ZlatkaT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ZlatkaT Posted 5 Aug 2009 , 5:02pm
post #1 of 12

yes pricing Q. I would like to ask you how much do you think cake like this will cost? I am to shy to go to the bakery and "play customer" to get idea of pricing. I noticed, that most of you, bakers charge per serving, let say $3.50, and this cake should serve 120 people it should be priced for $420?
I have talked to a few friends, who recently have been married, and they told me wedding cakes are around $800+??? So I am confused here.
Info of cake: 3 tier (14,10,6) each tier has different recipe, all BC cream cheese icing, fresh strawberries added to fillings. Scroll work.
This cake I made for a frined's daughter, I told them for my cost only + tools I will need to make this cake (pans, leveler, spatulas, turntable etc), so I ended up $250.
LL

11 replies
diane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diane Posted 5 Aug 2009 , 5:05pm
post #2 of 12

i would charge by the serving first. then you have to add in the cost of the items and time it took to make the cake. some people charge between $2.00-$4.00 a serving for buttercream and $3.00-$5.00 for fondant...and then you have to add in the flowers, modeling chocolate, etc. icon_wink.gif

Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 5 Aug 2009 , 5:07pm
post #3 of 12

closer to $4/serving due to intricate scroll work.

so $480 at least.

Mensch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mensch Posted 5 Aug 2009 , 5:44pm
post #4 of 12

I recognize those scrolly things! It is the Wilton scroll press kit!

QueenJessica Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
QueenJessica Posted 5 Aug 2009 , 5:57pm
post #5 of 12

I'M NOT SURE WHAT TO TELL YOU TO CHARGE; I JUST WANTED TO TELL YOU YOUR CAKE IS BEAUTIFUL! icon_smile.gif

ZlatkaT Posted 5 Aug 2009 , 6:36pm
post #6 of 12

Why would fondant covered cakes cost more? I understand that kneading and rolling takes time, but for me smoothing BC or even cream cheese is very time consuming.
I know making flowers is very time consuming, but these are added to the price later as extra cost??? Just curious, I covered only couple of cakes.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 5 Aug 2009 , 6:44pm
post #7 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZlatkaT

Why would fondant covered cakes cost more? I understand that kneading and rolling takes time, but for me smoothing BC or even cream cheese is very time consuming.
I know making flowers is very time consuming, but these are added to the price later as extra cost??? Just curious, I covered only couple of cakes.

I just did a 6/10/14 square dummy cake. I used about $40 worth of fondant. I could have iced the whole thing in BC for about $5-$6 worth of my BC icing. So why do I charge more? Because the icing part costs me 8 times as much. And I've been doing BC for 30 years, so smoothing it is not an issue. WAY faster for me to smooth buttercream than to get fondant rolled out and applied smooth.

smoore Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
smoore Posted 5 Aug 2009 , 7:09pm
post #8 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZlatkaT

I just did a 6/10/14 square dummy cake. I used about $40 worth of fondant. I could have iced the whole thing in BC for about $5-$6 worth of my BC icing. So why do I charge more? Because the icing part costs me 8 times as much. And I've been doing BC for 30 years, so smoothing it is not an issue. WAY faster for me to smooth buttercream than to get fondant rolled out and applied smooth.

Right -- and remember it's not an either or situation..... you'd still cover the cake in butter cream first and then cover in fondant. So you've got the time in making both butter cream and the fondant (if you don't purchase it), the cost of all those ingredients to make two separate recipes, plus the extra time fondant will require - especially if you need to color the fondant. Don't forget the cost of those tools you'll need to handle fondant as well (rollers, mats, cutters, crimpers, etc... vs your preferred spreader (and maybe roller for the "melvira method").

sweet-thing Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweet-thing Posted 5 Aug 2009 , 7:25pm
post #9 of 12

Beautiful cake!

ZlatkaT Posted 6 Aug 2009 , 1:48am
post #10 of 12

Got it! Like I said, just covered 2 cakes, and did not track it the cost of fondant. Make sense now. Thank you for the comments of my cake, my first stacked, and I am proud of it.

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 6 Aug 2009 , 2:01am
post #11 of 12

your cake is beautiful. you did a great job on the scrolls, etc. no matter how you did them.. love the color .. just really neat and well done..

jlsheik Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jlsheik Posted 6 Aug 2009 , 2:06am
post #12 of 12

Your cake is beautiful....scroll work looks fabulous!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%