White Cupcake Liners...

Baking By FromScratch Updated 7 Aug 2009 , 7:10pm by FromScratch

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 5 Aug 2009 , 1:57pm
post #1 of 19

I have a customer who is being very particular about her cupcakes. I love her... she is a sweet girl and I want to make sure that she gets what she is looking for. She is concerned about the brown from the chocolate cake showing through the liners. I was thinking about just double lining them, but I am still thinking it's going to show. We are going to use laser cut cupcake wrappers, but I am looking for a truely grease-proof white cupcake liner. Does anyone have a brand/company to recommend?

I was thinking maybe a white foil liner, but I'm not sure. I don't like the foil liners, but if it's the only way I'll do it.

18 replies
KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 5 Aug 2009 , 7:50pm
post #2 of 19

I've seen people use nut cups, they're much thicker than reg. cupcake liners and the choc. doesn't show through

Here's a pic of one

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_ikF1I-EK5Po/R_5B85G5L5I/AAAAAAAAARs/Il07lLarp94/s400/Cupcakes2%2B4-4-08.jpg

you can see the difference between the reg. white liners and the ones in the nuts cups below them.

are you just worried about the brown showing through the white liner and seeing it with the cut liner??

FromScratch Posted 6 Aug 2009 , 1:43am
post #3 of 19

Thanks for the feedback. I have nut/portion cups and they are still too brown. She wants #1 to not see the brown through the laser wrapper and #2 have the cupcakes not look messy when they are out of the wrapper. She is very particular and her aunt is even more so. Not to the point of being a bridezilla or anything. She is a sweetheart and I really am trying my best to deal with the fussier parts of the whole thing. I just didn't know if maybe there were spme grease-proof white liners that would work or if I am going to have to go foil.

Apparently it's imperative that the cupcakes be all white. I have to be sure that 100% of the cake part is covered with icing as well.

snarkybaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snarkybaker Posted 6 Aug 2009 , 1:59am
post #4 of 19

The papers at confectionery house are the best I've found, but pastels are still going to be a problem. You'll probably need to double paper as well, although if you are using a wrapper, I guess I don't get why the opacity matters.

FromScratch Posted 6 Aug 2009 , 8:10pm
post #5 of 19

I don't really get it either, but the aunt (who is doing the wedding details) is adamant that it is an important detail. I was close to not taking the order, but she is a sweet person. I hate foil wrappers, but I think it will be the only way that she will be happy. I wish she had just decided to go with a cake.

PinkZiab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PinkZiab Posted 6 Aug 2009 , 8:19pm
post #6 of 19

Unfortunately, foil is going to be the only way to go here. I use the nut cups often, and while they show through less, chocolate will still show through, and any standard paper liner will show through even more so.

sewlora Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sewlora Posted 6 Aug 2009 , 8:37pm
post #7 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by FromScratch

I hate foil wrappers, but I think it will be the only way that she will be happy. I wish she had just decided to go with a cake.

Maybe she should have the cupcakes made from WHITE cake, not chocolate icon_wink.gif

punkinpie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
punkinpie Posted 6 Aug 2009 , 11:06pm
post #8 of 19

My first thought was - it's like wearing black undies with white pants. Just doesn't work well LOL

You can buy white grease proof liners here but I would think you would still see the dark shadow.
http://www.bakeitpretty.com/item_559/Black-White-Baking-Cups.htm

hammer1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hammer1 Posted 6 Aug 2009 , 11:30pm
post #9 of 19

glad you asked, i have a similar cake coming up later....we only purchased the laser wrapers to do the tiered cake tower, not the kitchen cupcakes. what if you only put the white cupcakes in the front and the chocolate one in the back, its kind of what we were thinking. the white wrappers in the front with the lasser wraps. we are doing perriwinkle wrappers with white cups...chocolate, white and strawb erry, i am sure the pink will also show through a little.

FromScratch Posted 6 Aug 2009 , 11:35pm
post #10 of 19

Thanks for all of your suggestions. She was even worried about the vanilla cake showing through. I don't know why it's so important, but I think it's a case of someone who isn't a caker trying to make cake do something it really can't (or having too much to worry about). I'm sure none of the guests are going to speak ill of them if the chocolate cake shows through the liner a bit, but I digress. I will run the idea of foil liners by them. I'm going to try double lining them too.

marag Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
marag Posted 7 Aug 2009 , 12:38pm
post #11 of 19

I just found this. I have never used these (or ordered from this site), but according to the description, it says that cake will not show through.. even dark chocolate.

https://www.artfire.com/modules.php?name=Shop&op=listing&product_id=347527

Maybe if you have some time before this order you can experiment (if it's worth it).

Hope this helps!

Mara

FromScratch Posted 7 Aug 2009 , 12:50pm
post #12 of 19

Thanks Mara! I think I'll order some just to see how they work. It's worth a shot.

marag Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
marag Posted 7 Aug 2009 , 12:56pm
post #13 of 19

You're welcome! I'd love to know how it works for you!

Mara

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 7 Aug 2009 , 12:59pm
post #14 of 19

I didn't read everything but...

My daughter did a cuppie wedding cake for a friend and I just took parchment and cut 10" circles I think it was and just made quickie flat smooth liners--the kind that just surround the already baked cupcake. I did cut the top edge with scrapbook scrollie kinda cutters for a scalloped edge.

Then just a piece of carefully placed tape. Seams placed out of sight. Very simple that part.

I thought I understood that you are placing them in laser cut wrappers anyhow? I mighta misunderstood but anyhow that's I overcame that issue--she had chocolate, carrot & lemon cuppies so they all looked the same color when we displayed them.

The parchment I used is the commercial sheet pan liner kind.

Harmoniously colored cuppie thought for you.

FromScratch Posted 7 Aug 2009 , 1:07pm
post #15 of 19

Thanks K8... if this doesn't work I might just be doing this. Though the thought of cutting out 60 custom liners makes me cringe. I am not sure why the color thing is such a huge issue, but then again it's not my wedding so I am trying to be nice and accomodating. I know... not like me right? icon_wink.gificon_lol.gif

-K8memphis Posted 7 Aug 2009 , 1:28pm
post #16 of 19

I mean if it's just gonna show through little tensy little hoes in a lasercut wrapper--I mean the hole is gonna show dark anyhow otherwise it won't look like a hole

I think an extra cupcake pleated liner, the white ones we bake in inserted after baking would do---

Hey--y'know what? to get the maximum white showing through the laser cuts--you should simply line the laser cut wrappers you are getting with white paper--because that will decrease the distance that your eye travels through the hole--did I explain that where you know what I mean?

Like just glue it on--but test & make sure it will still fold ok. If you score the white pieces of parchment paper that you apply it will bend properly I think.

I think your chicklette wants a different liner--a solid decorated liner--because the laser cuts have to show darker to show up.

Oh God it's at times like these I'm glad I'm a book peddler.

FromScratch Posted 7 Aug 2009 , 2:51pm
post #17 of 19

LOL... I know huh? Can I come to 10 C and peddle books with you? icon_lol.gif

She wants the holes.. but she want's everything white and she wants the cuppies to look "pretty" when they are out of the wrappers. I rolled my eyes in my mind and said I'd see what I could do.

-K8memphis Posted 7 Aug 2009 , 2:59pm
post #18 of 19

Come on down!

I got it--my driver will pick you up and we can stop by Dkelly's for mimosas on the way!!!

FromScratch Posted 7 Aug 2009 , 7:10pm
post #19 of 19

Sweeeeeeeet!!! I'm totally there.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%