President's Birthday Cake

Decorating By kayjess Updated 6 Aug 2009 , 6:51pm by evasmama

kayjess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kayjess Posted 5 Aug 2009 , 12:40pm
post #1 of 24

Did anyone else see this??

http://www.nbcwashington.com/around-town/food-drink/Stylish-Prez-Hideous-Birthday-Cake-52458537.html

I have to admit the cake looks a bit busy....I think they forgot that less is usually more....

23 replies
cutthecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cutthecake Posted 5 Aug 2009 , 12:57pm
post #2 of 24

What's with the 44? He's 48 years old, and the 44th President.

sambugjoebear Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sambugjoebear Posted 5 Aug 2009 , 1:02pm
post #3 of 24

Wow.. I feel kinda bad for him. I never would have thought that Michelle would order a grocery store cake for him icon_eek.gif

tenleysmommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tenleysmommy Posted 5 Aug 2009 , 1:07pm
post #4 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by sambugjoebear

Wow.. I feel kinda bad for him. I never would have thought that Michelle would order a grocery store cake for him icon_eek.gif

icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

tbittner Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tbittner Posted 5 Aug 2009 , 1:22pm
post #5 of 24

The comments after the article are interesting as well.
Tracy

emrldsky Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emrldsky Posted 5 Aug 2009 , 1:32pm
post #6 of 24

While it is busy (and sometimes busy = ugly), the decorating techniques used were executed well.

But I think Michelle could have spent more time researching cakes. This cake does not really scream, "Obama."

cutthecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cutthecake Posted 5 Aug 2009 , 1:41pm
post #7 of 24

Do you think the little Mrs. baked it herself?!

SHogg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SHogg Posted 5 Aug 2009 , 8:21pm
post #8 of 24

It's a good thing I didn't bake it, might have slipped something in it icon_evil.giftapedshut.gificon_evil.giftapedshut.gif
Totally kidding......as secret service agents peek in my window!!!

cindy1176 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cindy1176 Posted 5 Aug 2009 , 9:01pm
post #9 of 24

"Generically Presidential" would be what I call this cake...not personal at all, but hey, he is after all just the prez...

diane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diane Posted 5 Aug 2009 , 9:07pm
post #10 of 24

i actually like it. i'm not crazy about the white shells, but the design logos are quite good. as for it being for a president...well, maybe that's what he wanted. he's not your average president. he is a down to earth type of guy.

Bugaboo_Bakery Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bugaboo_Bakery Posted 5 Aug 2009 , 9:42pm
post #11 of 24

It isn't that bad. The White House pastry chef did a fine job. What bothered me about this article are the comments. Some of them are just awful.

tracycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tracycakes Posted 5 Aug 2009 , 9:50pm
post #12 of 24

I think it is a little overdone personally but I agree that it was executed well. It would have been nice to be more about him, not just his job.

Bugaboo_Bakery Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bugaboo_Bakery Posted 5 Aug 2009 , 9:53pm
post #13 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by tracycakes

I think it is a little overdone personally but I agree that it was executed well. It would have been nice to be more about him, not just his job.

I think this was the "public" cake. I bet he had a family cake with his wife and girls.

Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 5 Aug 2009 , 10:14pm
post #14 of 24

That's about what I would expect a "President's" birthday cake would look like......I mean she really couldn't get him a "naughty" cake now could she?

The "44" is odd icon_confused.gificon_rolleyes.gif

bamberc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bamberc Posted 5 Aug 2009 , 10:20pm
post #15 of 24

I personally prefer a more "clean" looking design, but I thought they did a nice job. I especially thought the presidential seal on top and all of the seals surrounding the cake were perfectly done.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 5 Aug 2009 , 11:23pm
post #16 of 24

I agree w/many of the others.....what was done is done very well but it is a bit over decorated.

........"Generically Presidential" would be what I call this cake...not personal at all.......

Definitely have to agree w/that statementicon_smile.gif

diane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diane Posted 6 Aug 2009 , 12:21am
post #17 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by bugsmama

It isn't that bad. The White House pastry chef did a fine job. What bothered me about this article are the comments. Some of them are just awful.

i didn't care for the comments in the article either.

from what i remember...beauty is in the eye of the beholder. icon_wink.gif

SweetResults Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetResults Posted 6 Aug 2009 , 2:28pm
post #18 of 24

I don't really think Michelle had much to do with it either, she would have put his AGE on it instead. A lot of work went into it, it is actually very retro with all the piping. Maybe the white frosting is some kind of stablized whipped cream and really yummy?

Mensch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mensch Posted 6 Aug 2009 , 3:40pm
post #19 of 24

Those plaques must have taken hours to make!

evasmama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
evasmama Posted 6 Aug 2009 , 6:28pm
post #20 of 24

Just plain fugly, in my opinion. I don't think former WH pastry chef Roland Mesnier would have put out such an abomination. The "44" made me snort as well.

Mensch Posted 6 Aug 2009 , 6:30pm
post #21 of 24

Ya know.... if that cake had been made by someone here on CC, all y'all would be just fallin' all over yourselves with the compliments.

evasmama Posted 6 Aug 2009 , 6:38pm
post #22 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mensch

Ya know.... if that cake had been made by someone here on CC, all y'all would be just fallin' all over yourselves with the compliments.

Not me. If I don't like it, I don't pretend to, even online. I'd just keep my mouth shut.

Mensch Posted 6 Aug 2009 , 6:41pm
post #23 of 24

It was the generic 'you', not singling anyone out.

evasmama Posted 6 Aug 2009 , 6:51pm
post #24 of 24

Mensch-

But of course! I just think it's very old fashioned and overdone, and not very in keeping with the image that our president has fashioned for himself. And the whole "44" thing is just weird, since this is purported to be his birthday cake, not his inaugural cake.

I will say something nice about the cake: it's obviously done by a professional with great effort and time expended. The work itself is quality; it's the design I don't like.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%