Manequin For Cake... Where To Find?

Decorating By jolie1977 Updated 5 Aug 2009 , 4:40pm by lilyanddayne

jolie1977 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jolie1977 Posted 5 Aug 2009 , 12:36pm
post #1 of 13

I saw a couple cakes (ie. Cinderella & Bridal shower) on here that were of a dress, hung onto a manequin (without a head)... I'd really like to know where to find that, and what it's called? I'm sure it's not called a manequin and I'm hoping you know what I mean!

Can anyone help me?

12 replies
alidpayne Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alidpayne Posted 5 Aug 2009 , 2:01pm
post #2 of 13

Most of the cakes I have seen on here like that (I call that type of manequin a "dress form") they usually form the dress form out of cereal treats and then cover it with black fondant or modeling chocolate.

jolie1977 Posted 5 Aug 2009 , 2:30pm
post #3 of 13

Wow I thought for sure it was something made of plastic that was inserted into the cake! OK, so I guess I'll have to get my modeling skills sharpened!

alidpayne Posted 5 Aug 2009 , 2:37pm
post #4 of 13

I also found a tutorial that uses a doll pick and covers it in fondant... here is a link.

http://jennycrafts.blogspot.com/2008/10/here-comes-bride.html

CakeandDazzle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeandDazzle Posted 5 Aug 2009 , 2:47pm
post #5 of 13

what i heard was people (eww) ripped the head and arms off a doll... lol hth

jolie1977 Posted 5 Aug 2009 , 2:53pm
post #6 of 13

Oooh... ripping the head and arms off!!! LOL That sounds so horrible but I could see that it could very well work... I'll have to take a closer look at one of my daughter's Barbie doll!

Thank you for the link, I can't access it right now because I"m at work and some sites are restricted (not this one, thank goodness!). I can't wait to look up the tutorial later today!

alidpayne Posted 5 Aug 2009 , 3:03pm
post #7 of 13

Jolie, don't cannibalize your daughter's barbies! LOL Go to walmart or hobby lobby or somewhere and buy doll picks. (like in the tutorial I linked, you will see when you get home!) Basically they are just a head arms and torso, with a plastic pick coming out the bottom of the torso that you stick in the cake. They are made for doing the barbie cakes where the dress is made of cake. You can rip the head and arms off THAT and cover, not your babies dolls. lol

jolie1977 Posted 5 Aug 2009 , 3:26pm
post #8 of 13

Oh I already have some doll picks at home that used once for a Barbie cake. Never used it again because I find them.... well, not as pretty as a real Barbie. So I'll canibalize those! Thanks for reminding me of the obvious!!! LOL The only thing is, the ones I saw on the cake photos were brown or black in color... Could I paint them maybe??? If I cover with fondant, they'd look to bulky...

vnm42101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vnm42101 Posted 5 Aug 2009 , 3:31pm
post #9 of 13

I made a cake for my cousins bridal shower. For the torso I used gumpaste and for the skirt part I used RKT.

I am going to try attaching a picture.

Vivian
LL

preciosa225 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
preciosa225 Posted 5 Aug 2009 , 3:33pm
post #10 of 13

Thanks for this link! It's wonderful. I've always wondered how to do this as well. I thought about the RKT but it seems SO MUCH SIMPLER using the doll pick! Thanks again!

alidpayne Posted 5 Aug 2009 , 3:56pm
post #11 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by jolie1977

The only thing is, the ones I saw on the cake photos were brown or black in color... Could I paint them maybe??? If I cover with fondant, they'd look to bulky...

Just wait till you get home, and go to the link I posted. They used fondant, and I think you will see that it is not bulky at all.

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 5 Aug 2009 , 4:35pm
post #12 of 13

Depending on the size of the cake it could very well be a cheap barbie, or atleast that is what I did. I went to the dollar store and bought a barbie knockoff. We then cut off her head, and arms and I covered her in a thin layer (1/8thin or less) of black fondant.

You could certainly use other things to create the same look depending on how big you need it and the look you want. You could do anything from gumpaste to rice crispie treats to carved styrofoam.

lilyanddayne Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lilyanddayne Posted 5 Aug 2009 , 4:40pm
post #13 of 13

I made one in my photos that was the doll pick, take the head and arms off, i cut the neck and shoulders down a little more with a knife and covered in black fondant. Super easy!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%