Sampling Of Questions From Clients

Business By costumeczar Updated 8 Aug 2009 , 1:03am by indydebi

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 5 Aug 2009 , 12:12pm
post #1 of 30

Here's a sample of some emails I've received in the past few days. Keep in mind that all of these were sent from the form on my website, which has a very thorough FAQ page. This is just to demonstrate what business owners have to deal with every day...

Also I have some questions listed below.
>
> Do you have or can you rent items like cake toppers, stands,
> tiers,
> fountains, and cutters?
>
> If I want to use fresh flowers on my cake, will you coordinate
> with my
> florist, or will I have to manage getting the flowers to you?
>
> What ingredients do you typically use? What kind of icing do you
> use?
> > How long before our wedding are the cakes prepared? How long does
> it take to make a cake?
>
> Are your wedding cakes priced by the slice?
>
> Is there an extra cost for special fillings or details?
>
>
> Is there a price list I can look at?

(I sent her to my FAQ page)

Currently we are looking for a wedding cake decorator and I would like to get more information on your cakes.

(I sent her back to my website and asked what her date/guest count/location would be)

OCTOBER 31,2009.
4'OCLOCK

(that was the entire message)

My daughter is getting married Oct. 10 . Could you please give me a price for a cake that would serve 200. Thank-you.

(My online calendar says that I'm booked up for that date)

I already know the answer, so this is rhetorical...Does ANYONE read the website info before emailing? I know that some people do, but please![/i]

29 replies
Motta Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Motta Posted 5 Aug 2009 , 2:47pm
post #2 of 30

I don't have a website yet but that's just annoying. I truly hate repeating myself. Argh.

__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 5 Aug 2009 , 2:55pm
post #3 of 30

I think they are going to ask anyways. No matter what you have up there. I don't know if they think their cake somehow is so different it couldn't possibly be priced in general, or they truly just do not get it.

jlynnw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jlynnw Posted 5 Aug 2009 , 3:12pm
post #4 of 30

It is amazing even if they come in to talk to you in person and do the same thing. Working in a retail chain bakery, we had it all the time. The book with the pictures and price sheet side by side and they would still ask for the price! The price sheet also said in bold letters, does not include topper. They still ask. They did the same on the dates. I did have a bride who went and talked with the manager to get me to do her cake as I was giving her attitude and "refused" to do her cake. There were already 5 bridal cakes, 4 detailed grooms cakes, plus all our birthday cakes for that weekend on top of having our display filled. (only decorator at the time) It is amazing that they get illiterate and demanding once the ring slips on the finger!

Ruth0209 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ruth0209 Posted 5 Aug 2009 , 3:14pm
post #5 of 30

I think people have gotten lazy and just want to have information "spoon fed" to them. They're used to having it blasted at them visually and auditorily without any effort.

I used to do a new employee orientation where we sent information in advance about what to bring, what to wear, etc., and when a lot of them got there clueless as the day is long, I'd ask if they'd read the packet I sent them. They'd just give me a blank look. Duh.

I don't want to generalize too much, but I saw this more with young people who have grown up with so many other means of getting information that they don't want to pick up a piece of paper and read anything anymore. I also noticed that they had much more trouble filling out paper forms than us older folks who didn't grow up with on-line forms that fill it in for you and help you get it right.

The other thing I noticed a LOT in orientation was an expectation that they be entertained. I used to tell people, "They call it work for a reason. If you want to be entertained, go see a movie."

__Jamie__ Posted 5 Aug 2009 , 3:19pm
post #6 of 30

Great observations Ruth.

cutthecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cutthecake Posted 5 Aug 2009 , 3:23pm
post #7 of 30

This happens in all industries and occupations. People either don't listen or don't comprehend. Or both.
Many times I have told classrooms full of kids to "Write your name on the paper before you do anything else." Wanna guess how many papers are returned without names on them? And it goes on and on.
Sign at the red X-mark. "Do I have to sign this? Where should I sign it?
Mail in the enclosed envelope. "What do I do with this?"
Wet Paint. Do not touch. "I touched it and got paint on my hand."
Your tax return is due April 15. "Can't I file an extension?"
Yes, but do you realize the TAX is still due April 15? "It is? I thought an extension meant I didn't have to pay now."
People want to be spoon fed. It's the "Helpless Me" syndrome, with a dose of the DUH factor. Don't get me started on that.

jlynnw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jlynnw Posted 5 Aug 2009 , 3:26pm
post #8 of 30

Ruth you are so right. I don't know how many people who start in the bakery get upset that they have to wash dishes! I just want to decorate the cakes with that stuff and make them pretty!

mtaccts Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mtaccts Posted 5 Aug 2009 , 3:32pm
post #9 of 30

I totally feel your pain - I work for a large online vendor and people constantly call or email about the same things - and same as you all the information can be found on our FAQ page. We have an auto-responder set up to thank them for their inquiry and while we try to get back to you in a timely manner most of your questions can be answered by visiting (insert link here)

muddpuppy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
muddpuppy Posted 5 Aug 2009 , 4:19pm
post #10 of 30

This is the question I got yesterday when I told a bride I charge per serving....

"Do I get the whole cake or do you have it cut already?"....

No dummy! I'm going to bake and decorate a cake to serve 100, then cut out the 55 servings you need and deliver 'em to ya wrapped up in tinfoil and an old potato sack....grrrrrr......

Mensch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mensch Posted 5 Aug 2009 , 4:19pm
post #11 of 30

Here's one I get EVERY DAY!

"How much is a cake?"

__Jamie__ Posted 5 Aug 2009 , 4:34pm
post #12 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by muddpuppy

This is the question I got yesterday when I told a bride I charge per serving....

"Do I get the whole cake or do you have it cut already?"....

No dummy! I'm going to bake and decorate a cake to serve 100, then cut out the 55 servings you need and deliver 'em to ya wrapped up in tinfoil and an old potato sack....grrrrrr......

icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

Rose_N_Crantz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rose_N_Crantz Posted 5 Aug 2009 , 4:45pm
post #13 of 30

Or how about when they don't answer your questions?

"How many people are you going to be serving?"

"well, we wanted something with flowers on it... "

or when they assume I'm stupid when they specify green leaves with the flowers. Really? Green? I was gonna make them peach colored. . .

Ladiesofthehouse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ladiesofthehouse Posted 5 Aug 2009 , 5:09pm
post #14 of 30

I go through this all the time with my vintage vases website.

Each item I sell has a thumbnail, item number and description. Click the thumbnail and you get more pics and shipping info, etc.

Yet again I received an email just 2 days ago asking me to send an invoice with the total amount for "The Vase". PLEASE don't sell it to anyone else!

Lady I have 200 flippin vases for sale. WHICH ONE? Gah.

costumeczar Posted 5 Aug 2009 , 7:13pm
post #15 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladiesofthehouse

I go through this all the time with my vintage vases website.

Each item I sell has a thumbnail, item number and description. Click the thumbnail and you get more pics and shipping info, etc.

Yet again I received an email just 2 days ago asking me to send an invoice with the total amount for "The Vase". PLEASE don't sell it to anyone else!

Lady I have 200 flippin vases for sale. WHICH ONE? Gah.

I love lady head vases! Can you send me some more information about the one with the blond hair? icon_lol.gif You know, the one that has a hat. And is in the shape of a lady's head. You know the one I mean, right? icon_wink.gif

I bought my mother a lady head vase at a yard sale for 25cents when I was a kid. Of course I now have it, so I had a good eye back then! It's been mended in a couple of spots so I'm sure it isn't worth much, but it's cute.

LaBellaFlor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaBellaFlor Posted 5 Aug 2009 , 7:22pm
post #16 of 30

You are SO right Ruth. When I used to manage a retail store, I used to tell the kids (ages 16 to 25) that came in there dressed in jeans & t-shirts (even though I wasn't supposed) "I don't care if you are applying at McDonald's, never ask or turn in an application dressed unprofessionally. If you don't look serious, I'm not going to take yu serious. Now, I'm going to be honest with you, when you leave, I'm putting your application in the trash". Yeah, it was harsh, yeah, I may have been wrong, but who taught them how to look for a job or fill out an application?!?!? I was 13 when I fot my first job and knew beter. And last thing, my favorite application, the applicant put "Baby daddy" for her emergency contact. I am so NOT joking.

Mensch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mensch Posted 5 Aug 2009 , 7:25pm
post #17 of 30

LOL!

JoJo0855 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoJo0855 Posted 5 Aug 2009 , 7:41pm
post #18 of 30
Quote:
Quote:

never ask or turn in an application dressed unprofessionally

I realize we're getting off topic here, but honest to Pete I just don't "get" the kids today (and I'm a child of the 60's so remember what rebellious means! LOL) The way a lot of them dress just emphasizes their laziness (pull up your pants! girlies pajama bottoms are not acceptable outside wear!)
Add all the piercings and the final picture is "just call me unemployable"!

__Jamie__ Posted 5 Aug 2009 , 7:49pm
post #19 of 30

Baby Daddy?!?! O. M. G.

I got ur cake wright hear.

costumeczar Posted 5 Aug 2009 , 8:36pm
post #20 of 30

This is slightly off the original topic, but since I'm the OP I figure I won't complain icon_lol.gif

I just saw this on a local knot board. Even the other knotties are telling this poor, clueless girl that she's clueless about costs:

I am looking for a caterer now and was wondering if anyone had any recommendations on a budget friendly caterer. I am expecting about 90-100 guests and kind of want to stay within the 1000 dollar price range.

Uhhhh, Happy meals and Twinkies anyone? icon_rolleyes.gif

__Jamie__ Posted 5 Aug 2009 , 8:43pm
post #21 of 30

((doh!))

LaBellaFlor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaBellaFlor Posted 5 Aug 2009 , 8:50pm
post #22 of 30

:O I got your $50 wedding cake. Let me just go pick it up from the Hostess Outlet Bread Store.

FairyPoppins Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FairyPoppins Posted 5 Aug 2009 , 9:52pm
post #23 of 30

We had a bride come into the bakery for a consultation last week - she couldn't even spell the word 'wedding'!! icon_eek.gif

adree313 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adree313 Posted 5 Aug 2009 , 11:12pm
post #24 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth0209

I think people have gotten lazy and just want to have information "spoon fed" to them. They're used to having it blasted at them visually and auditorily without any effort.

I used to do a new employee orientation where we sent information in advance about what to bring, what to wear, etc., and when a lot of them got there clueless as the day is long, I'd ask if they'd read the packet I sent them. They'd just give me a blank look. Duh.

I don't want to generalize too much, but I saw this more with young people who have grown up with so many other means of getting information that they don't want to pick up a piece of paper and read anything anymore. I also noticed that they had much more trouble filling out paper forms than us older folks who didn't grow up with on-line forms that fill it in for you and help you get it right.

The other thing I noticed a LOT in orientation was an expectation that they be entertained. I used to tell people, "They call it work for a reason. If you want to be entertained, go see a movie."

i completely agree with you about most teens and young adults. but i just had to say how funny it is that i am so the opposite. i just turned 20, but i read up on any and all information i receive (or even, look up) when it comes to EVERYTHING. i absolutely hate not being prepared! it's the worst feeling in the world to me when someone asks me a question that i should 100% know, but don't. so to avoid that, i read, read, read. i need to know what's going on! and as far as hating filling out actual paperwork, again, the opposite here! i love having a hard copy of whatever i'm doing in my hand. i like that computers are faster, yeah, but nothing beats a solid, hard copy in my book!
just my 2 cents icon_biggrin.gif

Ruth0209 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ruth0209 Posted 7 Aug 2009 , 8:46pm
post #25 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by adree313

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth0209

i completely agree with you about most teens and young adults. but i just had to say how funny it is that i am so the opposite. i just turned 20, but i read up on any and all information i receive (or even, look up) when it comes to EVERYTHING. i absolutely hate not being prepared! it's the worst feeling in the world to me when someone asks me a question that i should 100% know, but don't. so to avoid that, i read, read, read. i need to know what's going on! and as far as hating filling out actual paperwork, again, the opposite here! i love having a hard copy of whatever i'm doing in my hand. i like that computers are faster, yeah, but nothing beats a solid, hard copy in my book!
just my 2 cents icon_biggrin.gif

Good for you! My 22-year-old daughter is the same way. Not surprising since I raised her. I think the majority of young people are smart and versatile and earnest in wanting to do a good job, but boy, when you see the others, it's painful. Some of it's just lack of experience in the workplace, but some just expect everyone to accommodate them.

cutthecake Posted 7 Aug 2009 , 9:24pm
post #26 of 30

Look at the lousy examples set by the celebutantes and some actors/actresses, singers and professional athletes. Many of them have lost touch with reality--they're so far out there!

CakeForte Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeForte Posted 7 Aug 2009 , 10:39pm
post #27 of 30

when people ask "How much is a cake?" I throw back the analogy ..."How much is a house?" They get it right away, that "a cake" is just not that simple unless you are at walmart.

costumeczar Posted 7 Aug 2009 , 11:41pm
post #28 of 30

Here's another one I just got...Someone asking for a small two-tiered wedding cake to serve 9 people (yes, NINE) for next week, and they wanted a tasting appointment for it! icon_lol.gif

cutthecake Posted 8 Aug 2009 , 12:20am
post #29 of 30

Next thing you know, they'll be asking for tasting appointments for a dozen cupcakes.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 8 Aug 2009 , 1:03am
post #30 of 30

To the OP, the first example you gave sounds like one of those "10 Things to Ask Your Baker/Caterer/Photographer" lists. I hate those!!! I can usually spot them a mile away and luv messing with their minds with around-the-bush and behind-the-outhouse answers! icon_lol.gif

One person actually asked me if, as the caterer, if I 'cued the band'. Cued the band!!!!????? Who do I look like, Ricky Ricardo????? I'm BUSY taking care of your FOOD! If Mr. Ricardo is not available, hire a wedding planner. That's what they DO!

Re: the sidetracked topic, I can tell the kids who are raised by responsible parents (dress appropriately for a job interview, knows how to fill out forms, addresses others with respect, DON'T come to place an app with a baby on their hip!).

Gotta brag on my youngest. She's been working with a film crew as a script supv; she just got a new job at a retail store (hey, it's NOT working for mom, so that makes it a good job, she says!), and she's still working a wedding with me tomorrow. At the age of (she'll be 17 on Monday), she's balancing 3 jobs so she can pay her car insurance and pay her own way. She may be my biggest challenge but I'm so proud of her! And we didn't have to tell her how to dress for her job interview ... she knew.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%