Liquer Syrup And What Cake To Use / Ideas

Baking By melib Updated 22 Aug 2009 , 3:59am by Naty

melib Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melib Posted 5 Aug 2009 , 9:26am
post #1 of 2

Hi I baked a "normal" sponge cake and used an Amarula based liquer syrup but found the cake was really toooooo sweet did not like it at all and I am looking for a cake recipe that is not sweet / suggestions
XX
Mel

1 reply
Naty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Naty Posted 22 Aug 2009 , 3:59am
post #2 of 2

How much sugar is in the sponge cake? I make one with minimal sugar and add a simple sugar syrup that is sweet but balances good with the sponge cake. Here is the recipe:

Panetela Borracha (drunken cake)
For 13 x 9 pan

8 egg whites
8 egg yolks
8 tbs. flour
8 tbs. sugar
2 tsp. baking powder
1-1/2 tbs. vanilla extract
pinch of salt
2 - 3 pats of butter or margarine (optional)

Sift salt, baking powder, flour and salt. Beat egg whites till soft peaks form. Start adding sugar a tablespoon at a time and continue to whip until stiff peaks form. On low speed, add egg yolks one at a time. Add dry ingredients a tablespoon at a time till well blended. Add vanilla extract and mix. The dry ingredients can the vanilla can be folded in by hand instead if you want. Make sure you do not overmix the batter. You don't want it to "deflate." Pour batter on a greased pan and bake at 375 for approximately 30 minutes or till done. When cake is done, take out of the oven and spread the pats of butter over the cake (this is mainly for extra flavor). When cake is cooled, poke cake with a fork at several locations. Pour syrup over cake evenly so that the cake soaks up the syrup. When cake is cooled, cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate at least 4 hours or overnight. This cake is served cold.

syrup:
1 cup sugar
1-1/2 cups water

I boil the sugar and water with star anise and cinnamon sticks (these are optional, you can also add a couple of tablesponns of rum or other liquor). When slightly thicken I take off the heat. Add hot syrup to cooled cake or cooled syrup to hot cake. Never both hot. Add syrup as needed; it depends on how moist you want it. You may only need 1/2 a cup or so, it is to taste.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%