Dvd's And Books

Decorating By Mel2085 Updated 5 Aug 2009 , 6:11am by xstitcher

Mel2085 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mel2085 Posted 5 Aug 2009 , 4:49am
post #1 of 4

Okay so am wanting to get some DVD's and books to help out with my cake making....I am looking at getting "Perfecting the Art of Buttercream" DVD and possibly the "Successful Stacking" DVD.

I was wondering if anyone has those DVD's and if they do what they think about them, and what about books? Are there any good suggestions? I tend to have "out side the box" ideas for cakes, I don't really do the "traditional" cakes, so I would like something geared like that but also a book or two on how to make some gumpaste or RI flowers for those "just in case" moments.

Thanks for all your help!

3 replies
xstitcher Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
xstitcher Posted 5 Aug 2009 , 6:00am
post #2 of 4

I love all of Sharon's (Sugarshack's) DVD's. I would definitely recommend getting them.

I understand that Jen Dontz has great Fondant Dvd's as well (There on my wish list icon_smile.gif ).

As for books Alan Dunn has some amazing books.
I also have Scott Clark Woolley's Book and I understand that his dvd's are awesome but are quite pricey. His book is well worth it though.
You might also want to look at Nicholas Lodge's DVD's and books.

ETA: You might want to look at Mike's Amazing Cakes and check out his dvd:
http://www.mikesamazingcakes.com/ (It's a dvd for sculpting a 3D to scale car)

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 5 Aug 2009 , 6:05am
post #3 of 4

Debbie Brown's books are good for making different shaped cakes...she has diagrams and instructions on how to carve up a regular cake and stack it to be different things.

Toba Garrett's Professional Cake Decorating has two chapters on gumpaste flowers. I haven't looked through the rest of the book that much yet (the copy I have is an ebook and it's summer so the kids always want on the computer), but her flower instructions are detailed and useful.

xstitcher Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
xstitcher Posted 5 Aug 2009 , 6:11am
post #4 of 4

How could I forget about Debi Brown. Here book is right beside me icon_lol.gif . The kids have been going through it getting ready to put their orders in. icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%