Machu Picchu Cake - How To Make Grass?

Decorating By Libberator3000 Updated 5 Aug 2009 , 11:00pm by mad-house-mum

Libberator3000 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Libberator3000 Posted 5 Aug 2009 , 4:36am
post #1 of 7

Hi! I'm new at this, but determined. I have a really big project. I'm making a Machu Picchu cake for my Peruvian friend's birthday. I figured I'd carve the terrace from a stack of sheet cakes. I was going to lay fondant over the whole thing, but then I realized that the grass would be better probably in buttercream....so maybe I will do a rock imprint in the fondant, paint it and lay it on the vertical sides of the terrace and then do green frosting for the grass on the horizontal surfaces....Sound ok?

So, what makes the most realistic grass? I think fondant-ing the whole thing sounds easier....yeah? If I did that, I'd have to make grass on the horizontal surfaces of the fondant....and then rock on the sides. Would I pipe frosting on the fondant for grass, or paint the fondant? What do you guys think sounds like a better plan?

Thanks in advance!

6 replies
TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 5 Aug 2009 , 4:39am
post #2 of 7

You can use tip 233 for grass if you want to do it in buttercream.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 5 Aug 2009 , 12:11pm
post #3 of 7

ditto. And a garlic press if you want to make grass from fondant.

Libberator3000 Posted 5 Aug 2009 , 7:43pm
post #4 of 7

Thanks, both of you! I will consider both methods while I am still designing!

mad-house-mum Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mad-house-mum Posted 5 Aug 2009 , 10:17pm
post #5 of 7

Depending how big the blades of grass have to be but i have used coconut dyed green which looks just great x

Libberator3000 Posted 5 Aug 2009 , 10:21pm
post #6 of 7

My husband actually suggested that today! Good idea! How did you dye your coconut? Did you mix the color with a liquid and shake?

mad-house-mum Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mad-house-mum Posted 5 Aug 2009 , 11:00pm
post #7 of 7

i put coconut in a bag with some green paste and just rubbed it till it was all coloured, but it did turn my finger tips green when i was putting on butter icing though lol x

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%