Charmed Posted 5 Aug 2009 , 4:12am
post #1 of 25

have you seen this?
http://www.easy-piper.com/

24 replies
xstitcher Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
xstitcher Posted 5 Aug 2009 , 6:09am
post #2 of 25

That looks pretty cool. Thanks for posting. To bad I don't make 10 cakes a day to justify the expense icon_cry.gif

Carolynlovescake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Carolynlovescake Posted 5 Aug 2009 , 4:06pm
post #3 of 25

Cool tool but I couldn't get past the gal at the start of the video holding her bag wrong.

Mensch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mensch Posted 5 Aug 2009 , 4:08pm
post #4 of 25

Actually, there really isn't a 'wrong' way to hold a piping bag. Whatever works best for the individual in question is the right way for him/her.

alvarezmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alvarezmom Posted 5 Aug 2009 , 4:21pm
post #5 of 25

Wow that looks cool!!!

jennabell441 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jennabell441 Posted 5 Aug 2009 , 4:23pm
post #6 of 25

What an interesting invention.

Rose_N_Crantz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rose_N_Crantz Posted 5 Aug 2009 , 4:26pm
post #7 of 25

I agree, but the way the person was holding the bag at the beginning of the video is the hardest way and most likely to cause hand strain. I always tell people who are learning to NOT hold a bag like that.

I couldn't get past that either, or the way she was doing the cornelli lace. I know a lot of people do it that way, but I was always under the impression the lines shouldn't overlap.

But hey, if you've got the bucks, why not? I think this would be a great tool for Sam's/Walmart. I learned to decorate working at Sam's, I'm aware of the kind of volume they work with on a normal day. This would make many of their decorators happy. I actually had an idea for some kind of a machine that would fill your icing bag for you (me and a few hundred other decorators I'm sure!).

Mensch Posted 5 Aug 2009 , 4:29pm
post #8 of 25

She was piping sotas, not cornelli.

adree313 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adree313 Posted 5 Aug 2009 , 4:37pm
post #9 of 25

that's really cool but i got tired just watching the video of all the steps involved!

diane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diane Posted 5 Aug 2009 , 4:38pm
post #10 of 25

that's neat, but it looks expensive and time consuming to work with. it would be good for a bakery, but for the home baker...it seems like to much work, especially when you're not doing tons of cakes each week. icon_wink.gif

PinkZiab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PinkZiab Posted 5 Aug 2009 , 4:47pm
post #11 of 25

Might be great for a high volume bakery or supermarket (churning out multiples of the same cake, dessert cakes, pastries, etc every day), but I can't see it being worth the cost for a boutique decorator.

michellesArt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
michellesArt Posted 5 Aug 2009 , 5:11pm
post #12 of 25

how was the girl holding the bag wrong? i didn't see that i do agree that there seems to be a lot of steps and heavy machinery involved to make it "easy" to pipe icing. well i have a cake baking so i'm gonna fill a bit of time finishing (sort of) my garden- i am really not enjoying gardening-it's a TON of work i don't see how people find it relaxing. maybe when it's done or you just add some pretty flowers but not the weeding and digging!! sideline i know sorry icon_smile.gif

jimandmollie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jimandmollie Posted 5 Aug 2009 , 5:16pm
post #13 of 25

#1 - I wonder how much the replacement bags cost? Also, how much does that rubber hose thing cost that she threw in the trash?

#2 - I think it takes more time to screw and unscrew everything than it does to just use a regular bag.

#3 - I would totally lose that thing you need to screw onto the faucet.

#4 - I hope that WalMart and Grocery Stores start using this because they will have to make up for the cost in the cost of their cakes. That would mean their cakes would cost more and that of course translates into more business for you guys! icon_smile.gif

I think the only practical use for something like this would be in a factory setting where you only use one type/color of icing and you use it constantly to do the same cake or pastry. Of course, in that case the hopper would need to be bigger. I wonder how much one of these things would set you back?

I think a much better invention would be some way to put a pastry bag into the dishwasher. Has anyone figured that out yet? You would be my hero if you have! lol icon_lol.gif

sara91 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sara91 Posted 5 Aug 2009 , 5:42pm
post #14 of 25

I can't imagine a professional bakery/ cake shop would have room for that free standing device.

It takes up a huge amount of space and looks slower than the standard way.

Also all the bits and bobs. I can imagine them getting lost very quickly in a commercial bakery. Very costly replacing them continually.

Mensch Posted 5 Aug 2009 , 6:16pm
post #15 of 25

I have a bakery and there is no way we have space for something like that. Space is at a minimum... we're dancing around each other as it is now.

Kellbella Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kellbella Posted 5 Aug 2009 , 6:32pm
post #16 of 25

She made a scary looking rose too icon_eek.gif

sara91 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sara91 Posted 5 Aug 2009 , 8:46pm
post #17 of 25

It was designed by a 'rocket scientist'

I asked my hubby about the design as he is also in this 'rocket science' business.

He suggested that it would be useful, but there was no need to custom design a pump (the giant stand thingy)

There are plenty of smaller of these dosing pumps available that act like a syringe to fill up the device.

Would make it a whole lot cheaper and smaller.

Just some ideas.

newmansmom2004 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
newmansmom2004 Posted 6 Aug 2009 , 2:29pm
post #18 of 25

Does anyone know how much this system costs? Just curious.

xstitcher Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
xstitcher Posted 6 Aug 2009 , 8:32pm
post #19 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by newmansmom2004

No idea. The only thing they mentioned was how fast you could pay it off by doing x amount of cakes a day.

http://www.easy-piper.com/economics.php

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 6 Aug 2009 , 8:44pm
post #20 of 25

Very neat! But I doubt that I will ever get one!

sugarcheryl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarcheryl Posted 7 Aug 2009 , 12:38am
post #21 of 25

Interesting. I don't think that would work for me but thanks for sharing.

sweetcravings Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetcravings Posted 7 Aug 2009 , 1:54am
post #22 of 25

Interesting but i doubt i would ever buy one...did you see all the parts needed to assemble that thing..yikes. I'd probably get lost assembling the silly thing. ;0)
It didn't look all that comfortable to hold, at least the demo made it look awkward. I'd stick with my regular bags and save the money for more fun tools.

mygirlssweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mygirlssweet Posted 7 Aug 2009 , 4:45am
post #23 of 25

Looks like a whole lot more washing at the end of decorating to me. The less mess to clean up after the better for me.

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 7 Aug 2009 , 1:04pm
post #24 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by newmansmom2004

I don't know. But it has to be a lot. Think about if you sell 10 cakes a day, it will pay for itself after 30 months. That's 2 and a half years. And 10 cakes a day is a lot. That would 300 cakes a month.

The thing they left out is what kind of cake. I mean if you sell 10, 8" round cakes a day - that's very different from selling 10 tiered cakes. Anyway, you go, it's got to be tons of money.

But I am curious to know how much it costs. Even though I know I'll never get one.

jenmat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenmat Posted 7 Aug 2009 , 2:20pm
post #25 of 25

what a process- she makes me tired just watching her. I "grew up" in a Walmart Bakery, and I do remember wishing for a set of dispensers that filled our bags for us! 40-50 cakes a day gets tiring!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%