Cheapest Fondant You Know...

Decorating By sparkscakes Updated 6 Aug 2009 , 6:23pm by SaraClassic

sparkscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sparkscakes Posted 5 Aug 2009 , 12:06am
post #1 of 27

where can i buy satin ice fondant without paying shipping??...i need 20 lbs icon_lol.gif

26 replies
CakeandDazzle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeandDazzle Posted 5 Aug 2009 , 12:48am
post #2 of 27

you'll have to look for a local supply store in your area... google it (bakery/cake supply store with your zip) I get 20 lbs for $42

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 5 Aug 2009 , 1:04am
post #3 of 27

Cake dazzle, are you kidding me? $42? Wow. I had to get mines for $70 including shipping. I need to go where you shop hehe.

CakeandDazzle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeandDazzle Posted 5 Aug 2009 , 1:09am
post #4 of 27

i know!! I love it!! I get it from twin bakery supply... they sell flour, sugar, filling selves... etc... nice and cheap!! (well i get everything besides satin ice cheaper at my local food store!!)

Christina222 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Christina222 Posted 5 Aug 2009 , 1:18am
post #5 of 27

http://www.doitwithicing.com/ They are near you and probably carry it, or can order it for you.

JaimeAnn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JaimeAnn Posted 5 Aug 2009 , 1:40am
post #6 of 27

That is why I make my own Fondant icon_wink.gif

Cheap and no shipping charge.

There is no place near me to buy any cake supplies other than Wilton, and their fondant is GROSS!

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 5 Aug 2009 , 1:44am
post #7 of 27

Cakedazzle, I am speechless. My jaw dropped.

Jaime, if I wasn't lazy, I'd probably start making my own. =]

My fiance lives in San Diego. There is also this place in Temecula and Norco called Pilas Pantry. Their Satin Ice I believe is priced in the higher side but they do sell other brands of fondant.

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 5 Aug 2009 , 1:51am
post #8 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaimeAnn

That is why I make my own Fondant icon_wink.gif

Cheap and no shipping charge.

There is no place near me to buy any cake supplies other than Wilton, and their fondant is GROSS!

Exactly...when I was making my friend's wedding cake, I made 12lbs of fondant for $14...can't beat that anywhere.

xstitcher Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
xstitcher Posted 5 Aug 2009 , 1:54am
post #10 of 27

Try Fondant Source. I'm not sure how much shipping would be to CA but their 201bs white Satin Ice is $45.99. Plus they give 10% off to CC members. Just put "cakecentral" (not the quotes) into the coupon code. Total would be $41.39 for the 20 1bs plus S&H. Sometimes their website says they don't have it in stock but I would call and check with them anyway. They will let you know if it's on order or will try and order it for you. They have great customer service. They also have other brands of fondant as well.

kylekaitlyn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kylekaitlyn Posted 5 Aug 2009 , 2:08am
post #11 of 27

I make my own MMF, but do order my dark colors. The best price I have found for Satin Ice is from www.******************

You do pay for shipping, but all in all it is still a bargain since you don't pay tax.

sparkscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sparkscakes Posted 6 Aug 2009 , 12:45am
post #12 of 27

JaimeAnn..i was wondering what recipe do you use for your homemade fondant.?..and do you know if by steaming it, it will get shiny??..

JaimeAnn Posted 6 Aug 2009 , 2:28am
post #13 of 27

I usually make MMF this recipe..

16 oz White mini marshmallows (not jetpuffed ! I use store brand)
2 Tbsp Water
2 pounds Powdered sugar
1 tsp clear vanilla
1 tsp butter flavoring
1 tsp almond flavoring
1/2 C vegetable shortening (for the kneading step only)

In a large bowl, melt marshmallows and 2 Tbsp water in microwave for about 1 minute, stir in flavorings and return to the microwave, stirring every 30 seconds until mixture is completely melted. Add about 3/4 of the amount of powdered sugar to the marshmallow and mix in. Dough will be stiff.

After fondant has cooled just a bit and is safe to handle, grease prep surface ( I use vinyl) with vegetable shortening, also grease your hands.

Knead fondant, adding in the rest of the powdered sugar (you may not use all of it) until a smooth elastic ball is formed. You may have to add more powdered sugar if dough is too soft. Add more water (a tablespoon at a time) if it is too dry and tearing, add more shortening if too sticky.

And Yes steaming it will make it shiny !

xstitcher Posted 6 Aug 2009 , 2:33am
post #14 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparkscakes

JaimeAnn..i was wondering what recipe do you use for your homemade fondant.?..and do you know if by steaming it, it will get shiny??..

I think MFF (Michele Foster's Fondant) is way better than MMF, especially with white chocolate added. Here's the link in case you want to try it out:
http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=Recipes&sort=recipename&sort_dir=ASC&op=search&chname=X&chingredients=X&searchtext=michele&cat_id=-1&x=&y=

JaimeAnn Posted 6 Aug 2009 , 4:23am
post #15 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by xstitcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparkscakes

I think MFF (Michele Foster's Fondant) is way better than MMF, especially with white chocolate added. Here's the link in case you want to try it out:
http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=Recipes&sort=recipename&sort_dir=ASC&op=search&chname=X&chingredients=X&searchtext=michele&cat_id=-1&x=&y=

I have been thinking about trying that . The MMF is just sooo easy though! It is hard to change when something works. But I think I will give it a try.

__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 6 Aug 2009 , 5:03am
post #16 of 27

Oh Jamie, trust me, try MFF one time, you'll never go back to MMF. It is truly decadent. The extra steps are worth it. I promise!

heddahope Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
heddahope Posted 6 Aug 2009 , 5:27am
post #17 of 27

What kind of taste difference is there b/w MMF and MFF?

JaimeAnn Posted 6 Aug 2009 , 5:28am
post #18 of 27

Ok , you talked me into it .. I am making up some samples this weekend for my friends wedding . I will be doing the cake and 200 individually wrapped NFSC cookies and I wanted to see if using fondant on the cookies instead of RI might save me some time , and maybe taste better too.

I am going to give it a go!

JaimeAnn Posted 6 Aug 2009 , 5:36am
post #19 of 27

Quick question for Jamie & Xstitcher..

Do you use the recipe that calls for 2 T gelatin or the one that uses 3 T ?

And do you use milk or cream?

TIA

xstitcher Posted 6 Aug 2009 , 6:53am
post #20 of 27

Hi JaimeAnn,

Use this recipe:

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-7446-1-Michele-Fosters-Fondant.html

I used milk for mine as that is what I had on hand.

Here's are a couple of posts by sugarflowers (aka Michele Foster) that you might want to read, in it she says to use the above posted link for the recipe, and FAQ's:

http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-625616-michele.html+foster+fondant
http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-625727-michele.html+foster+fondant

And trust me, it's actually easier than it looks. It's just a couple more ingredients that's all. I also let my KA do most of my work for me icon_lol.gif

ETA:

I had actually used this recipe as it was there before Michele had uploaded the recipe herself:
http://www.cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-3663-1-Michele-Fosters-Delicious-Fondant.html

JaimeAnn Posted 6 Aug 2009 , 8:21am
post #21 of 27

Thanks Xstitcher!

xstitcher Posted 6 Aug 2009 , 8:31am
post #22 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaimeAnn

Thanks Xstitcher!

Anytime! icon_biggrin.gif

Cakeonista Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakeonista Posted 6 Aug 2009 , 2:45pm
post #23 of 27

Dazzle that is a great price!!! I see you live in Buffalo, I'm much more south NY on Long Island and my local supply store sells it for 60 something dollars.

SaraClassic Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SaraClassic Posted 6 Aug 2009 , 2:54pm
post #24 of 27

OK, my MMF is hard.... every time, will MFF be better? Ive tried less sugar, less CS, more CS....ugh Cant get it to feel like store bought...??? Does it ever?

SaraClassic Posted 6 Aug 2009 , 3:57pm
post #25 of 27

OK, my MMF is hard.... every time, will MFF be better? Ive tried less sugar, less CS, more CS....ugh Cant get it to feel like store bought...??? Does it ever?

__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 6 Aug 2009 , 4:18pm
post #26 of 27

I dunno about MMF. I only made it a few times, got sick of the stretchiness and the sickly sweet taste. MFF is pretty perfect. Not stretchy, and has a sweet sort of neutral taste. No chemically taste at all.

SaraClassic Posted 6 Aug 2009 , 6:23pm
post #27 of 27

My mom has become my MMF maker I told her we got a new recipe, just when she FINALLY memorized the MMF I use icon_smile.gif Look forward to trying MFF out this weekend.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%