Patriotic Cake Ideas...

Decorating By Ladiesofthehouse Updated 4 Aug 2009 , 10:18pm by Ladiesofthehouse

Ladiesofthehouse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ladiesofthehouse Posted 4 Aug 2009 , 5:51pm
post #1 of 6

I just took an order for a 1/2 sheet cake for a woman's 70th birthday. The person ordering said they want a patriotic theme, the invitations were red, white and blue because she is known for being very patriotic.

Then the kicker--she is VERY classy, so nothing gaudy or too bright.

So how do I do red, white and blue without looking like it's the 4th of July?

I just went through 10 pages in the gallery of red, white and blue cakes, but none seem to be what I am looking for.

Any suggestions would be REALLY appreciated!

5 replies
Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 4 Aug 2009 , 6:09pm
post #2 of 6

think the classic blue woman's suit with the white blouse and red "tie"

so, chiefly blue, some white, dash of red.

----

large blue cake, white stars, message in red in the white stars?

----

blue hat cake, white hat band, red feather?

DefyGravity Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DefyGravity Posted 4 Aug 2009 , 7:37pm
post #3 of 6

Is there anything else she's into that you could give a patriotic twist?

apetricek Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
apetricek Posted 4 Aug 2009 , 7:55pm
post #4 of 6

For the sheet cake....maybe you could do a terra cotta pot in the middle, and have roses, and hydrangea flowers coming out of the pot. You could also do a ribbon band around the pot, and maybe even add a small flag to where the flowers are for the patriotic feel to it. You then could add a small bunch of the flowers to the corners of the cake. Then add the same ribbon around the base of the cake, as you use for on the pot. I did this idea with violets for a going away and it was a big hit! I made the pot out of fondant let it dry curved to give it some demension, and the flowers were royal icing, and gumpaste, and then the ribbon was fondant. Just to give you an idea. You could also do a 70 popping out of the flowers on wire...good luck

CeeTee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CeeTee Posted 4 Aug 2009 , 8:00pm
post #5 of 6

Since it's a sheet cake, how about making it look like one of the WWII style posters, like Rosie the Riveter?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rosie_the_Riveter

Ladiesofthehouse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ladiesofthehouse Posted 4 Aug 2009 , 10:18pm
post #6 of 6

Hey thanks for all the great ideas--you guys are always so much help!

I wish they had let me do a stacked cake, somehow they seem more conducive to creativity to me than a sheetcake.

I need to put some ideas on paper tonight, see if I can use your suggestions to put something together usaribbon.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%