Celadon?? No Clue!

Decorating By klallen21 Updated 4 Aug 2009 , 6:27pm by klallen21

klallen21 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
klallen21 Posted 4 Aug 2009 , 4:29pm
post #1 of 6

Hey everyone!

I got a cake order for a cake to be iced in a celadon color. I know it's a celery/sage green, but have no clue how to color the icing to get that color.

Any ideas??

I'll be using BC icing.

Thank you for looking!! icon_smile.gif

5 replies
tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 4 Aug 2009 , 4:41pm
post #2 of 6

Celadon (pronounced /ˈsɛlədɒn/) is a color that is a pale tint of spring green.

Celadon colored pottery is a specific style of pottery produced in East Asia. It is normally associated with a pale sea-green pigment though the style originally was made with much darker pigments. The pale green pigment came from the artisans who used specific clays and potting techniques to create the style now associated with the name. Chemically, celadon is formed by combining chromium oxide, cadmium yellow, and titanium-zinc white. It was most commonly used in Chinese, Korean and Japanese art and spread to the other Asian cultures. Celadon, as it is known by the west, or Gingci, is an ancient type of Chinese glaze that was particularly favoured by the Song court. These pots have blue-green glazes and are made in elegant shapes and were produced in kilns from all over China. Korean celadon pottery has been described by ancient Chinese artisans as having a quiet elegance whose color is "beyond description," in that it must be experienced to be understood, and its simplicity of form and style has been compared to the spirit of Zen Buddhism.[12

tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 4 Aug 2009 , 4:42pm
post #3 of 6

Here is a photo of the pottery

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fileicon_razz.giforcelaine_chinoise_Guimet_241101.jpg

Teal and moss green will achieve that color..

Edna icon_smile.gif

Eisskween Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Eisskween Posted 4 Aug 2009 , 4:46pm
post #4 of 6

I would try a bit of royal blue and a bit of moss green. Not too much, you want to keep it pale.

weirkd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
weirkd Posted 4 Aug 2009 , 4:59pm
post #5 of 6

I add very little green to achieve it.

klallen21 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
klallen21 Posted 4 Aug 2009 , 6:27pm
post #6 of 6

You all are wonderful! Thank you!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%