Painting On Fondant

Decorating By robinscakes Updated 5 Aug 2009 , 12:46am by Elise87

robinscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
robinscakes Posted 4 Aug 2009 , 3:13pm
post #1 of 3

I've been wanting to paint on fondant with food coloring but haven't had the chance to try yet. I have a background in painting (art major in college) and have always wanted to use that to my advantage and I've finally gotten the chance with a cake coming up. My question is do you use the gel colors straight out of the bottle or mix them with anything? What about bleeding? Is that a risk? Any way to prevent it? Thanks for your advice in advance.

2 replies
Charmed Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Charmed Posted 5 Aug 2009 , 12:16am
post #2 of 3

You can use alcohol(vodka) to dilute your gel colors.

Elise87 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Elise87 Posted 5 Aug 2009 , 12:46am
post #3 of 3

Hey! I have done a small painting before using food colouring which i painted on gumpaste which would be pretty much like fondant i reackon (the painting is in my gallery if you want to have a look)

I use paste/gel colouring and like said above i dilute them with a tiny bit of vodka (don't mix with too much vodka as it can go very watercolourly faster than normal paint with water)

If you don't have or want to use vodka, vanilla extract or lemon juice can also be used but i havn't tried them.

I havn't had any trouble with the colours bleeding so far. Also a tip if you make a mistake just dab the area with a clean brush dipped in a bit of vodka then dab with a cotton bud and that will erase it.

HTH icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%