Finishing Touches On Cakes (At The Wedding Venue)?

Decorating By MissCakeCrazy Updated 4 Aug 2009 , 12:19pm by -K8memphis

MissCakeCrazy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MissCakeCrazy Posted 4 Aug 2009 , 12:01pm
post #1 of 5

Can someone please, when putting on a cascading bow, ribbon, swag, roses etc down a cake do you have to transport the cake all stacked OR do you put the tiers in their individual boxes, go to wedding venue and do them in the kitchen?
If you transport it stacked, does anybody know of any places in the UK which sells high heavy duty boxes for this?

4 replies
Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 4 Aug 2009 , 12:04pm
post #2 of 5

The stacked cakes that I have done, I put in individual boxes, with the dowels already inserted partway, and then set them up when I got there, adding roses, etc...

PinkZiab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PinkZiab Posted 4 Aug 2009 , 12:05pm
post #3 of 5

People do it both ways. I prefer to deliver my cakes fully assembled and then I only have to do minor repairs onsite, if necessary. I don't have any recommendations for boxes, as I'm in the US, but I will tell you that I use plain brown shipping boxes, as opposed to anything specialized for cakes, since you can get them in a variety of sizes.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 4 Aug 2009 , 12:16pm
post #4 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkZiab

People do it both ways. I prefer to deliver my cakes fully assembled and then I only have to do minor repairs onsite, if necessary. I don't have any recommendations for boxes, as I'm in the US, but I will tell you that I use plain brown shipping boxes, as opposed to anything specialized for cakes, since you can get them in a variety of sizes.

I use the brown corrugated shipping/packing boxes too like Tara/PinkZ. They provide shelter from the sun and bird drops also provide a protective controlled environment for temperature and humidity. If you stick some freezer packs in there where they won't leak condensation (wrap in a paper towel and place in a plastic bag) and where they are secure so they don't bump the cake--you can get caught in a traffic jam for hours and your cake will be fine.

It's not just easy and cheap--they are very efficient for our purposes.

And as far as where and how to do finishing touches and etc. There's no hard and fast rules. I'd recommend doing what you are most comfortable with and what's easiest for that particular cake.

Finishing touch thought for you.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 4 Aug 2009 , 12:19pm
post #5 of 5

Oh, but, I'd never deliver to the venue kitchen and move to the table--I'd take everything to the cake table and do it all there. Guests or no guests.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%