Molding Rice Krispies Recipe

Baking By SueBuddy Updated 25 Jul 2013 , 2:53pm by CakeRae80

insaneusmcwife Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
insaneusmcwife Posted 2 Dec 2010 , 3:59am
post #31 of 45

you might have better luck posting this on a new post maybe under the How do I? section.

nautton Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nautton Posted 8 Feb 2011 , 2:12pm
post #32 of 45

Thanks for these tips. I made a snow blower cake last weekend and made the plow portion out of cereal treats using the regular recipe. However, the plow kept falling apart. I rfrigerated, iced with modeling chocolate, tried coating with royal icing - nothing kept it together.
I will now try recipe without butter, crusing a little, compressing the treats before modeling. Wish me luck this time.
icon_smile.gif

ReesieT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ReesieT Posted 9 Dec 2011 , 12:41am
post #33 of 45

Ok So when do I fondant my RKT after I pour the baking coating over it? I dont want to do it so early and it slide off when my back is turned. Yes that would happen to me. lol

litlecuchi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
litlecuchi Posted 22 Jan 2012 , 10:57pm
post #34 of 45

thanks for sharing icon_biggrin.gif

AnAngelsKiss Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnAngelsKiss Posted 10 Mar 2012 , 2:09am
post #35 of 45

I am making a 3d cookie monster cake. I thought about using RKT for the head, arms and legs. I keep seeing all these wonderful tips (thank you ladies) All I see is chocolate or fondant on top of the rkt finish. I want to use butter cream to make it furry. Will that work?

deannemil Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
deannemil Posted 29 Apr 2012 , 7:38pm
post #36 of 45

I am going to make a tree out of RKT. This will be my first time. Would it be better to carve out of a block or mold it around wire? I am leaning towards using PVC or a dowel as the trunk for support and then wrapping wire to create the branches. I don't think I'd get the fluidness of the branches if I carved them. Any help would be great!!!

Kakie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kakie Posted 10 Jul 2013 , 6:46am
post #37 of 45

Can anyone tell me how long RKT's keep for? Can the molded item be made several weeks in advance?

I have a couple of tea pots to make (for 2 different weddings) that have a lot of hand painting, so it would be soooo useful to make a couple for the same design at once, rather than do each individually the week of the weddings!

cakesbyellie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbyellie Posted 24 Jul 2013 , 8:23am
post #38 of 45

Hi Kakie,

Did you ever get an answer to your question as I have the same question?!

CakeRae80 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeRae80 Posted 24 Jul 2013 , 1:11pm
post #39 of 45

I was wondering the same thing.  I have a cake due next Wednesday so it's a week away, and I want to do it soon, but not sure if it will keep.  This is the first time I'm using RKT to do anything.

ddaigle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ddaigle Posted 24 Jul 2013 , 2:09pm
post #40 of 45

I've made RKT designs months in advance.  

CakeRae80 Posted 25 Jul 2013 , 1:18pm
post #41 of 45

Thank you ddaigle! My question is now...do people eat those things?  I know that it's all edible minus any dowels you might use, but I just can't picture anyone thinking it's a good idea to eat it...lol

ddaigle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ddaigle Posted 25 Jul 2013 , 1:25pm
post #42 of 45

It's not going to make them sick..but I always tell them I suggest they not eat them.   Just like the gumpaste flowers & royal icing flowers you can buy are edible..I wouldn't eat them.  When I make tires, for example..I may make them weeks or even a month in advance. 

CakeRae80 Posted 25 Jul 2013 , 1:52pm
post #43 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddaigle 

It's not going to make them sick..but I always tell them I suggest they not eat them.   Just like the gumpaste flowers & royal icing flowers you can buy are edible..I wouldn't eat them.  When I make tires, for example..I may make them weeks or even a month in advance. 

My first cake I made covered in fondant had gum paste mums and leaves. I took it to work, and my boss ate one of the leaves. He told me he ate it and it had no taste. Shocked I said "you ate one??" His eyes got big and he said "I'm not going to die am I??" I laughed and told him no, but I wouldn't suggest people eat them, even though they are edible. I told him they are basically decorations.

WickedGoodies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
WickedGoodies Posted 25 Jul 2013 , 2:07pm
post #44 of 45

I modify the original rice treats recipe by omitting a portion of the rice treats and all of the butter. That helps the treats stick together and to other things better. If I'm wrapping the rice treats around infrastructure like PVC piping, then I roll them out between pieces of wax paper. Here is a blog post on the topic: http://www.wickedgoodies.net/2010/08/cake-sculpting-with-rice-treats-and-pvc/

Hope this helps! 

CakeRae80 Posted 25 Jul 2013 , 2:53pm
post #45 of 45

Thanks for the tips. I bought the box of rice treats at the store, because I knew mine would be to "goopy" I will have to remember to cut out the butter and back on the rice cereal. That makes sense that you do it that way.  I'm making a sea turtle out of them, so I will be using a small dowel to connect his head to his body.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%