Cake Driving Skills Vs. Normal Driving Habits

Decorating By 3GCakes Updated 11 Aug 2009 , 3:46pm by Loucinda

3GCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
3GCakes Posted 4 Aug 2009 , 1:54am
post #1 of 29

Another post made me question my cake driving skills....

Usually I am a great driver...kids in car....very cautious...never missing stop signs or tearing around corners.

BUT------put a CAKE in my CAR...and I am Danica Patrick on a wicked mission to get a cake somewhere like it should have been there yesterday!!!!

What the heck? I become the one screeching around corners, finding distant potholes, all the "LONG WAYS", the hills, the traffic, and the "sunniest lanes" north of the Ohio River.

I have no cake driving skills. Have never lost a cake, but that's because where I lack in cake transporting skills I manage to succeed in cake supporting skils.

FOR NOW........ icon_biggrin.gif

28 replies
DefyGravity Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DefyGravity Posted 4 Aug 2009 , 2:04am
post #2 of 29

LOL I am quite the opposite. Put a cake in my car and its all I can do to stop myself from putting my hazard lights on and driving 45 on the highway!

annieliz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
annieliz Posted 4 Aug 2009 , 2:07am
post #3 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by DefyGravity

LOL I am quite the opposite. Put a cake in my car and its all I can do to stop myself from putting my hazard lights on and driving 45 on the highway!

lol that's me exactly

chasie73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chasie73 Posted 4 Aug 2009 , 2:14am
post #4 of 29

That is me totally! Careful as can be under normal circumstances - - - put a cake in the car and forget it. I some how loose my mind!! icon_surprised.gif

3GCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
3GCakes Posted 4 Aug 2009 , 2:17am
post #5 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by chasie73

That is me totally! Careful as can be under normal circumstances - - - put a cake in the car and forget it. I some how loose my mind!! icon_surprised.gif

That made me laugh out loud.

misserica Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
misserica Posted 4 Aug 2009 , 2:20am
post #6 of 29

I usually bring my creations to my BFs house which is all highway driving, people behind me wish they never got on the road. I drive super slow and look at my precious cake the whole way.

Ya know, we should all make a sign that looks like that "baby on board" yellow sign instead saying "cake on board", maybe people would back off!

nanikins Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nanikins Posted 4 Aug 2009 , 2:23am
post #7 of 29

I'm extra, super careful (read: crazy paranoid) when I drive with a cake. I could walk a turn faster than I drive it - that's saying something considering I have legs like a dachsund.

When my hubby - who is careful, but normal - drives, I carry a small paper bag with me so I can take slow deep breaths on the trip.

I'm hoping that I'll get better as I get more experience....or before I'm bald and my license is revoked.

MicKindle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MicKindle Posted 4 Aug 2009 , 2:34am
post #8 of 29

I am glad to know that other people drive slow when there is a cake on board. I thought it was just me. If my kids are with me, I put them on cake watch until we get to our destination. If my husband is driving I usually white knuckle until we get there.

lorijom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lorijom Posted 4 Aug 2009 , 3:18am
post #9 of 29
Quote:

LOL putting my hazard lights on and driving 45 on the highway!

Done that icon_redface.gif

cheatize Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheatize Posted 4 Aug 2009 , 5:47am
post #10 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by lorijom

Quote:

LOL putting my hazard lights on and driving 45 on the highway!

Done that icon_redface.gif

Yup, me too. I wanted to let the other drivers know that I knew I was driving slowly but there was a reason for it.

My biggest problem is trying to squash down the PollyAnna in me that eggs me on. "It'll be fine. It's doweled. You're driving the other people crazy. Just go. You're a good driver. It'll be fine...." If I could get her to shut up, I'd be good to go. LOL

khoudek Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
khoudek Posted 4 Aug 2009 , 1:23pm
post #11 of 29

When I transport a cake I usually have a line of cars into the next county behind me. I could buy stock in Rubbermaid shelfing liner as I tuck that under EVERYTHINNG to make sure nothing moves. I'll go faster on straight, smooth roads, but I can never seem to find any!!!

Gingoodies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Gingoodies Posted 4 Aug 2009 , 2:05pm
post #12 of 29

I do tend to get in the car and go. I pay close attention to turning and try not to "slam" on the brakes. icon_surprised.gif Going 20 mph goes against my nature icon_evil.gif I had to deliver a cake 8 blocks once, we used my grandson's car because he had a jeep with a flat surface in the back. Poor kid drove so slow, it took 15 minutes to go 8 blocks! icon_cool.gif He was so sure the cake would fall over. icon_lol.gif I have had a couple of mishaps in my time, but they were actually more my fault than the driving.

mrswendel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mrswendel Posted 4 Aug 2009 , 2:25pm
post #13 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by MicKindle

I am glad to know that other people drive slow when there is a cake on board. I thought it was just me. If my kids are with me, I put them on cake watch until we get to our destination. If my husband is driving I usually white knuckle until we get there.

lol....my kids have figured out it's a fun game to stress mommy out. I usually get at least one "Mommy, is there supposed to be a big bubble on the cake?" or "uh oh...the cake is moving". My hubby has only done 1 delivery with me and told me I was stressing him out and if I didn't stop, he wasn't going to keep driving! I hate the delivery part of cakes!

cupcakelady64 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupcakelady64 Posted 4 Aug 2009 , 4:50pm
post #14 of 29

I'm with ya all the way!

Heck i even wanted to get a magnet for the back of my car that had my bakery emblem on it or a "cake on board" sign, so people wouldn't push me! But my kids threatened to disown me!!! icon_eek.gif

so, every time i get in, i recite this: "i will not throw the cake out the back window. i will not throw..."

it's like driver's ed alllll over again!! icon_lol.gif

joviolette Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
joviolette Posted 7 Aug 2009 , 6:06pm
post #15 of 29

I've said I more carefully with a cake on board than my newborn babies...at least they're strapped into a carseat that's strapped onto the car. They won't fall over if I take a sharp corner, but a cake on the other hand...yikes! I'm SUPER paranoid with a cake on board icon_redface.gif

-Tubbs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-Tubbs Posted 7 Aug 2009 , 6:18pm
post #16 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by cupcakelady64

Heck i even wanted to get a magnet for the back of my car that had my bakery emblem on it or a "cake on board" sign, so people wouldn't push me!

I have one! It says "Cake Delivery in Progress - Thank you for your patience!"

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 7 Aug 2009 , 6:28pm
post #17 of 29

My husband would often drive and for whatever reason one time I drove and he rode and oh my soul what a difference! Because I was in control of which potholes to hit going how fast. It was a stress reliever for moi.

Instead of sitting there becoming more and more petrified--if I have something to do like drive I'm much better off.

LynnZClaire Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LynnZClaire Posted 7 Aug 2009 , 6:52pm
post #18 of 29

LOL, you guys are cracking me up! I drive all crazy slow and cautious too...but just the way you all refer to your cake driving is funny icon_smile.gif
Just glad I'm not the only one icon_wink.gif

AnitaK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnitaK Posted 11 Aug 2009 , 5:21am
post #19 of 29

I'm usually pretty careful with turns, curves and do not slam on the brakes as well as driving very defensively.

I had a student arriving at her first Course 1 Wilton class said that on the way to class a car ahead of her had the hazzard lights on and driving very slowly. When the student got closer to the car, she saw a big sign in the back window - "please pass, wedding cake on board".
Needless to say we had a good laugh. First time I've heard of that but it makes sense.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 11 Aug 2009 , 11:51am
post #20 of 29

You guys are funny. Since switching to SPS we drive normally and never even think about the cake in the back, becasue we are certain nothng's going to happen to it.

Jan14grands Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jan14grands Posted 11 Aug 2009 , 12:16pm
post #21 of 29

I'm glad I'm not the only one - it is the most stressful part of all cake decorating - delivery!!! My hubby usually drives too and I'm constantly giving driving "hints" icon_smile.gif After I leave the cake, I take a deep breath and sometimes cry (Big baby me) I hope I can get over this - maybe I should try the SPS system. I, too, feel better if I'm driving, but the road sure is rougher with a cake in the car icon_smile.gif

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 11 Aug 2009 , 12:24pm
post #22 of 29

I have a sign that is put on the back of the vehicle.....in BOLD letters -
CAUTION - WEDDING CAKE ON BOARD. I am also one who is better off being the driver - being the passenger is too stressful for me.

arosstx Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
arosstx Posted 11 Aug 2009 , 12:31pm
post #23 of 29

I second Leah's comment. I too use SPS, and though I do slow down a bit turning corners and don't stop or start too quickly, I drove a fully assembled 5 tier square wedding cake (in my pics) 30 miles down a major highway doing about 70. Not because I was in a hurry, but because that was the speed limit. On straight roads, if your cake is properly supported (thank you SPS), you should have no worries.

BaBa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BaBa Posted 11 Aug 2009 , 12:35pm
post #24 of 29

I also go verrrry slow, hazard lights flashing and sign on the back wedding cake on board patience please. People get right up behind or right beside and try peeking in the windows to get a look at the cake. Whewww when I get it there.

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 11 Aug 2009 , 12:37pm
post #25 of 29

the last time I delivered a cake with my DH on board, he said "Honey, you'd better go...you know your van will overheat if you idle too long" Mind you I was DRIVING to the venue LOL I guess he thought I was going pretty slow! Do you know how many potholes there are in Ohio?? i have to swerve in and out of them and if you do that fast your cakes will fall......even though they aren't stacked already lol

BlackFlour Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlackFlour Posted 11 Aug 2009 , 12:42pm
post #26 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by cupcakelady64

I'm with ya all the way!

Heck i even wanted to get a magnet for the back of my car that had my bakery emblem on it or a "cake on board" sign, so people wouldn't push me! But my kids threatened to disown me!!! icon_eek.gif

so, every time i get in, i recite this: "i will not throw the cake out the back window. i will not throw..."

it's like driver's ed alllll over again!! icon_lol.gif

LOL That is SO me!!! I don't even look at the cake (put it in the back of the suburban) or else i'd wreck from looking at it the whole time!!! Last weekend I looked in my rear view mirror to see at least 20 cars behind me.... so what I was going 25 in a 55.... sorry! icon_smile.gif

newnancy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
newnancy Posted 11 Aug 2009 , 1:06pm
post #27 of 29

I totally trusted leahs. I made a 5 tier (1st time) fully assembled & didn't even consider there might be a problem since I was using the SPS. It never crossed my mind to worry about it, now my husband & the other 2 guys that were actually transporting it were nervous. They just didn't believe me when I said "no problem, leahs said".

Thanks again leahs!

AnitaK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnitaK Posted 11 Aug 2009 , 2:02pm
post #28 of 29

I have to add that its the other drivers sometimes that are the problem.
The baker transporting the wedding cake to a friend's wedding was hit by another car (not the bakers fault) and totally destroyed the cake. They ended up with a dummy at the reception and sheet cake served to the guests.

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 11 Aug 2009 , 3:46pm
post #29 of 29

I agree, no matter what system you use, if you are going the speed limit and you have to slam on the brakes, something is gonna move. icon_eek.gif It is better for my blood pressure (SPS or any other type!) for me to go slower.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%