Carved Cake Help

Decorating By Anita-Cakes Updated 4 Aug 2009 , 1:35am by bakingpw

Anita-Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Anita-Cakes Posted 3 Aug 2009 , 9:59pm
post #1 of 3

Hello all,

I'm new to this site and new to cake decorating. I just finished the Wilton Course 4 last week. Anyhow, I've been asked to make a cake for my church to celebrate a play we just had. They want a sheet cake with a city standing on top. The city will be just a row of buildings. In front of the city they want an edible photo of the cast and crew lying flat on the cake. I've never carved a cake and haven't the slightest idea where to start. Also, I don't know what to do about the edible photo. I thought about going to Sam's Club or Costco and asking them to sell me the edible photo. They do edible photos on their cakes. I want to do the cake in fondant. Can you put edible sugar photos on fondant? Any advice would be appreciatel.

Anita

2 replies
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 4 Aug 2009 , 12:51am
post #2 of 3

Does the row of buildings have to be cake? Will you have enought servings from just the sheet? If so then you can cut the buildings out of fondant; stick some toothpicks or sucker sticks on the back and stand it up. If you add some GumTex to the fondant it will dry hard enough to stand up.
I don't think either Sam's or Costco will make you a frosting sheet pic but do you have a chain grocery store like Kroger's nearby? Some cake shops also will do it. Usually the charge is around $10 per pic. Yes, for sure one can put a sugar pic on fondant. Just *slightly* dampen the area where the pic will go. Be very careful placing it as you will get just one chance! No way to move/change it once it is down icon_sad.gif

If you can't get anyone to make you a frosting sheet pic you can make a paper copy and cover it well with plastic wrap to place on the cake. That's what I did before sugar pix came into beingicon_smile.gif

bakingpw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakingpw Posted 4 Aug 2009 , 1:35am
post #3 of 3

Whenever I carve cakes, I start wth a shape that is closest to the one I'm going for. For instance, in this case, I would make a bunch of mini loaf cakes. Tip them each on end, trim to make them different heights and ice. Stick a dowel straight down into the top through the mini cake into and through the large cake.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%