Baby Blocks Cake - How To Stack?

Decorating By BlackFlour Updated 4 Aug 2009 , 12:47pm by Texas_Rose

BlackFlour Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlackFlour Posted 3 Aug 2009 , 5:42pm
post #1 of 5

I am making a baby shower cake this weekend and they want baby blocks similar to this picture below, except a sports theme. How should I stack the blocks that are on top of the others? I'm a little thrown off because of the space in between the cakes on the bottom. Should I put a small pillar below so that it doesn't fall over backwards? I know to put dowels throught he cakes going through the top one through the bottom, but is that enough? thanks for your help! icon_smile.gif
LL

4 replies
cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 3 Aug 2009 , 5:52pm
post #2 of 5

Well you can space them anyway that you want. I would definitely put them closer together. I would also put several dowels in each block (that will be holding the other block) just to make sure that it doesn't fall down.

BlackFlour Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlackFlour Posted 3 Aug 2009 , 6:21pm
post #3 of 5

Great! Thanks! I'm thinking of just angling them so there is a small space between them because I'll need to fit them all on one board icon_smile.gif I guess the closer together they are the less likely they'll fall off!! I'll put plenty of dowels in to make them sturdy! Thanks again! Anyone ever made one of these who can speak with experience?

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 4 Aug 2009 , 12:42pm
post #4 of 5

I've never made them before, but I don't think they would be too hard.

Good luck!

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 4 Aug 2009 , 12:47pm
post #5 of 5

I've never made it, but I think you can manage with just two dowels in each of the bottom blocks, then a little square of foamcore board that the top block is sitting on. If you're nervous about it falling apart on the drive over, you could wait to put the top block on until you get there...the space between the bottom ones will leave room to get your hand out from under so it should be an easy stack. If they're picking it up, then you should probably put a couple of wooden skewers in from the top down, and make sure they go into the cake board for support.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%