Are They All Like This?

Decorating By cutthecake Updated 3 Aug 2009 , 5:30pm by jamiekwebb

cutthecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cutthecake Posted 3 Aug 2009 , 4:06pm
post #1 of 15

I made my first three-tier, Oreo buttercream-filled, ganache-under-fondant -covered cake with edible images and marshmallow fondant roses this past weekend for a family reunion. It weighed a ton.

I love rich sweets, but this was REALLY RICH and SWEET! I can't imagine why.....sugar, powdered sugar and more sugar, chocolate, white chocolate, heavy cream, Oreos, butter, Crisco, marshmallows. I loved it, but some people thought it was too much.

So, how much do you think a 3-tier cake weighs, and how many CALORIES do you think are in a slice? (I don't know how much more of the leftovers I can eat...but I'm working on it.) Who wants to do the math?

Are all ganache/fondant cakes like this?

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1427294

14 replies
Parable Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Parable Posted 3 Aug 2009 , 4:13pm
post #2 of 15

Beautiful cake!!! thumbs_up.gif

Sounds like you are on a sugar high icon_biggrin.gif

Let's don't think about the calorie thing.....just not polite. icon_twisted.gif

Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 3 Aug 2009 , 4:19pm
post #3 of 15

and do you ask a woman her age????

calories are in the same category of forbidden questions!

GREAT CAKE --- send leftovers to me!

mjk350 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mjk350 Posted 3 Aug 2009 , 4:19pm
post #4 of 15

Wow, fantastic cake!!! I don't even think of calories when eating cake. LOL. thumbs_up.gif

cutthecake Posted 3 Aug 2009 , 4:26pm
post #5 of 15

I don't think of calories WHEN I'm eating cake. Those evil thoughts creep up when I'm putting the fork in the dishwasher. And when I'm trying to zip my jeans, which seem to have shrunk mysteriously.

MavericksMommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MavericksMommy Posted 3 Aug 2009 , 4:27pm
post #6 of 15

I'm sure you worked it all off by making the cake! I wouldn't worry about it!

BeeBoos-8599_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BeeBoos-8599_ Posted 3 Aug 2009 , 4:31pm
post #7 of 15

Funny timing. Last night for our anniversary I made my hubby a brownie in one of those round pans with fluted sides that has an indented center and filled it with chocolate cream pie filling then put chocolate curls on top of it. Do you think callories even entered his mind when he sat down with 1/4 of it in one sitting?? HELL NOOOOO! lol

rule #1 calories and cake should never be mentioned in the same sentence
rule #2 the is never to much chocolate
rule #3 "too rich" is not possible.

kilikina_24 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kilikina_24 Posted 3 Aug 2009 , 4:31pm
post #8 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjk350

Wow, fantastic cake!!! I don't even think of calories when eating cake. LOL. thumbs_up.gif

ditto...if we don't think about them they don't count, right?? icon_wink.gif

Beautiful cake!

It's frustrating sometimes, isn't it?? "This is soooo sweet!" Well, yeah...it's cake, it's dessert, there's sugar in there....IT'S SUPPOSED TO BE SWEET!!! icon_biggrin.gif

dawncr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dawncr Posted 3 Aug 2009 , 4:38pm
post #9 of 15

Beautiful cake! No wonder it made some people cry.

Your family might be among those who find powdered-sugar-based buttercreams to be "too sweet."

I'm starting to believe persons fall into one category or the other: 1) Love the European buttercreams/Hate PS buttercream--"too sweet" or 2) Love PS buttercream/Hate European buttercreams--"too much like eating butter."

Some recent research found that some persons (e.g., those more likely to be of English/UK heritage) could differentiate degrees of sweetness more finely than other persons. Maybe these are the ones who find PS buttercream "too sweet?" Note: These were significant group differences, not 100% mutually exclusive categories

Also, how big were the pieces? Were they 1" x 2" slices? If they were Jethro-sized pieces, then most people might find them too big to finish.

Nutritional information? We kinda just ignore that around here.... icon_wink.gif

CakeRx Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeRx Posted 3 Aug 2009 , 4:57pm
post #10 of 15

Uuhhhh...over here? The lady with three teenage boys? We'll take all your leftovers and everyone else's, too. Great Cake. I'll bet your relatives were floored with the sentimentality and care with which you created this.

cutthecake Posted 3 Aug 2009 , 5:01pm
post #11 of 15

We're a family of cannoli-eating dessert lovers. There were more desserts than food at the reunion. My mother was known as the gingerbread lady because she ALWAYS had some kind of cookie or cake available to everyone who entered our kitchen (to eat there and to take home).

The cake slices were more like Jethro-on-steroids sized. Nothing dainty.

Nutritional information? Eggs are a good source of protein. That's all I've got for nutrition.

cutthecake Posted 3 Aug 2009 , 5:04pm
post #12 of 15

Thank you for all your flattery. I plotted and planned that cake for weeks. It was far from perfect, but they loved it.

Except for the oldest cousin (now a grandmother) who removed the ribbon from the bottom tier and threw it out becuse it was covering her picture! That's another story.

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 3 Aug 2009 , 5:07pm
post #13 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by cutthecake

Nutritional information? Eggs are a good source of protein. That's all I've got for nutrition.

See Bill Cosby - Cake For Breakfast

Theresa icon_lol.gif

cutthecake Posted 3 Aug 2009 , 5:09pm
post #14 of 15

playingwithsugar,
I don't even have to open that link to know what it is. That's one of my all-time favorite comedy routines, and I remember when he first performed it.
I have often sung, "Dad is great...give us the chocolate cake!"

jamiekwebb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jamiekwebb Posted 3 Aug 2009 , 5:30pm
post #15 of 15

My boys sing that when they staywith mamaw and papaw... he gives them cake for breakfast

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%