Gumpaste Martini Glass

Decorating By squeaky121603 Updated 3 Aug 2009 , 4:43pm by squeaky121603

squeaky121603 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
squeaky121603 Posted 3 Aug 2009 , 3:48pm
post #1 of 4

Hello to my fellow ccr's. Does anyone know how I can attempt to make a martini glass out of gumpaste? I need to make one for a luau cake and they want a martini glass for the top tier.

Thanks,
Carol[/img]

3 replies
GrandmaG Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GrandmaG Posted 3 Aug 2009 , 4:03pm
post #2 of 4

Unless you want everything edible, there's nothing wrong with putting a real martini or plastic martini glass as a topper. Most toppers aren't edible.
Here's a link for a martini glass mold. I'm sure there are other sites if you do a search.

http://www.streichs.com/cgi-bin/streichs/AO128ab.html

Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 3 Aug 2009 , 4:17pm
post #3 of 4

you'll need 3 pieces.

two circles of gumpaste - 1 for the bowl, 1 for the foot
1 long of gumpaste for the stem.

you'll also need cone shaped form to dry bowl on.

to get cone: cut a wedge (think like a slice of pie) out of the circle.
Join the edges. The bigger the wedge, the more narrow and tall the cone will be.

Ditto for the foot, but here the wedge is very small (diet size?).

By adjusting size of circles you begin with and the size of the removed wedges you can shape different size bowls and feet.

Personally, I'd leave a small opening the size of the planned stem at the center of the bowl and foot (think like how when you fold a parchment icing bag) to make it easier to assemble the whole thing. Stem goes through hole and them a bit of gumpaste is pushed into bottom of bowl around the stem (which also then shapes the bottom to look more like the bottom of an actual glass) and a small pieces goes on the under side of the foot as well for same purpose.

two thoughts:

-- the foot could be a SOLID piece of gumpaste to add weight to help keep more stable.

-- the stem could be formed around a skewer or toothpic (depending upon desired size) with part of skewer/toothpic left sticking out so you can stick it into the cake to help stabilize the glass.

HTH

squeaky121603 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
squeaky121603 Posted 3 Aug 2009 , 4:43pm
post #4 of 4

Thanks to GramdmaG and Doug for your help. This is really going to help me alot! I love how cc members are so helpful.

Thanks again,
Carol

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%