What Makes The Frosting Crust?

Decorating By vlk Updated 3 Aug 2009 , 3:31pm by vlk

vlk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vlk Posted 3 Aug 2009 , 2:53pm
post #1 of 3

I made some frosting over the weekend.. and yes.. I tried to make my own icon_confused.gif using what I had (did not want to run to the store)

What a total mess... I believe two days later it still has not crusted ? What I did not put in it was Mer. Pwd/Dream Whip ?

Could that be the "crust" factor?

TIA - TIA - TIA

Vicki

2 replies
indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 3 Aug 2009 , 3:07pm
post #2 of 3

Crusting is a result of the fat/sugar ratio. Without knowing what recipe you used, it will be hard to give good advice. Merinque Powder doesn't really affect crusting.

The more fat, the less crusting. I remember it as "more fat, more slippery, the more likely it is to slide off of the cake."

The more sugar, the more crusting.

My recipe never had a non-crusting problem when crisco changed to zero trans fat and I assume it's the dream whip that helped it. So if you used a zero-trans fat shortening w/o the dream whip (and did you use milk or water? Other CC'ers experiments have indicated using milk makes a BIG difference if you're using zero-trans.)

vlk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vlk Posted 3 Aug 2009 , 3:31pm
post #3 of 3

Can I say... HELLO INDYDEBI!! You are a huge inspiration to me icon_biggrin.gif Thank you so much for answering!

I always use your recipe (no fail, perfect everytime thumbs_up.gif )

But, I did not have the DW and I used the store brand shortening ?? (too be totally honest.. it was sooo greasy looking my inner voice told me not to use it) and milk.

So I am thinking that it was the "generic" shortening that threw it off -

TA -
Vicki

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%