I Give Up

Decorating By chloe_52 Updated 4 Aug 2009 , 2:44pm by DefyGravity

chloe_52 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chloe_52 Posted 2 Aug 2009 , 10:17pm
post #1 of 14

I can't for the life of me smooth the icing on my cakes. I am fine doing any other type of decorating but smoothing the icing on my cakes forget it. I don't know what else to try. I don't know if it's just the icing i use or what but I have watched video after video and ordered dvd's and still can't get it to look nice.
Just needed to vent

13 replies
umgrzfn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
umgrzfn Posted 2 Aug 2009 , 10:30pm
post #2 of 14

Trust me, I know. I HATE using just BC on a cake!!!!! However, after watching sugarshacks DVD and how she iced her cakes, mine are getting there! She has some amazing tips and tricks. She heats the spatula every time she touches the cake when she smooths it. IT WORKS AWESOME!!!!!

emiyeric Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emiyeric Posted 2 Aug 2009 , 10:42pm
post #3 of 14

And this is why I (for the most part!) stick with fondant! I totally get it. But yes, I've said it before and I'll say it again ... Sugarshack is the queen of instructional DVDs. All hail Sharon.

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 3 Aug 2009 , 8:11am
post #4 of 14
7yyrt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
7yyrt Posted 3 Aug 2009 , 2:54pm
post #5 of 14

What's wrong with it?
Does it look like little popped bubbles because it had air whipped into it, or ragged swaths?
Some icing can be partially crusted and smoothed with paper, other types need smoothing with a spatula dipped in hot water and dried.

JoJo0855 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoJo0855 Posted 3 Aug 2009 , 3:09pm
post #6 of 14

I've always used a water-dipped spatula ... guaranteed smooth!

Cindy619 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cindy619 Posted 3 Aug 2009 , 3:14pm
post #7 of 14

I usually fill a thermos with boiling water, then dip my spatula into the thermos, wipe off the water and ice it smooth. This takes away most of the imperfections, but if there are a few spots I still don't like, I wait until it crusts then use parchment paper to smooth them away.

newnancy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
newnancy Posted 3 Aug 2009 , 3:25pm
post #8 of 14

Do I ever know what you're talking about. One time it's perfect & looks like fondant it's so smooth & the next time it gets worse the more I touched it. Try sugarshack's icing recipe in the recipe section. I don't know what the difference is but it is great. HTH

Good Luck!

Marianna46 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marianna46 Posted 3 Aug 2009 , 3:39pm
post #9 of 14

After watching tonedna's video on icing with buttercream, I'm ready to try it again. I've been using fondant for almost everything because I can't get buttercream smooth to save my life. But nobody in my family really likes fondant icing, except for how it looks. I'm making my granddaughter her 7th birthday cake at the end of the month, and it's been strongly hinted that I will be lynched if I finish it off in fondant, so I'm really happy to see this. I'll practice a few times before the big day!

sarahcupcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sarahcupcake Posted 4 Aug 2009 , 1:36am
post #10 of 14

I always tell myself that the cake is Casually Iced when things don't go quite as planned! I have found that I'm my worst critic when it comes to smooth frosting, I think it's horrible and everyone else thinks it great. I'm sure your skills are far better than you give yourself credit for! icon_biggrin.gif

yamber82 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yamber82 Posted 4 Aug 2009 , 1:54am
post #11 of 14

i havn't had much experience with it yet but my last 2 turned out pretty well. i popped the dry careved and filled cake in the freezer for like 15 or so minutes just long enough to get it firm and then spread on a thin crumb coat, back in the freezer for like 30 to freeze the crumb coat and immediately after taking it out i spread on a thick top coat. that has been working for me. atleast it help to keep the crum coat in place so it doesn't mess up the top coat if that makes sense. then i smooth it with the paper towel method

cakebaker1957 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakebaker1957 Posted 4 Aug 2009 , 2:33pm
post #12 of 14

i use the roller method, works great

yamber82 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yamber82 Posted 4 Aug 2009 , 2:38pm
post #13 of 14

havn't tried the roller method yet. i actually forgot all about it til you just mentioned it. is it more effective than the fondant smoother you think?

DefyGravity Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DefyGravity Posted 4 Aug 2009 , 2:44pm
post #14 of 14

I think the hot spatula is an amazing trick, and is what I do most of the time. Also, I've found that beating my frosting at the lowest speed for a few minutes really eliminates air bubbles. HTH

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%