Which Pasta Machine To Buy?

Decorating By chanielisalevy Updated 2 Aug 2009 , 3:06pm by Jeannem

chanielisalevy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chanielisalevy Posted 2 Aug 2009 , 3:16am
post #1 of 7

I actually already have one, but it stinks. I've posted here several times asking fro advice about using my roller, but none of the advice worked. I think I just too cheap a model. My fondant is never smooth and even. I have a motor attachment and want to get a better model. Any suggestions for which model to get? Thanks for your input!

6 replies
SouthernSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SouthernSugar Posted 2 Aug 2009 , 5:28am
post #2 of 7

Before you give up on the one you have let me ask you a question. Are you trying to roll thin on the first pass? On my pasta roller I have to start with the thickest setting and work my way down one number at a time. If I try to go too thin too fast it just chews up the fondant/gumpaste. I bought the cheap one at Michaels and once I learned to do it this way it worked great!

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 2 Aug 2009 , 5:42am
post #3 of 7

I usually roll it out first, start from the thickest setting and keep adjusting.

chanielisalevy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chanielisalevy Posted 2 Aug 2009 , 12:08pm
post #4 of 7

Thanks for your replies ...my problem is that the fondant NEVER comes out smooth. It gets pilled and rippled and requires that I roll it with a pin anyway, but doesn't come out as smooth as if I started out with a pin in the first place! (read: pasta machine is superfluous!) I think mine is a cheap one and needs an upgrade. Any suggestions on a model? I have a motor attachment but want to know which brand is a good one that you all like. Thanks!

peg818 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peg818 Posted 2 Aug 2009 , 12:31pm
post #5 of 7

I have an atlas, that has been very good. Try to get one that you can use the motor you already have on.

Are there any burrs on your rollers? If you have any residue on your rollers from the past times your paste has gotten stuck it will pull it and make a mess of it. I also dust my fondant with corn starch before running through the machine. And as others have said start rolling with a pin then send through machine starting at the highest setting and working my way down.

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 2 Aug 2009 , 1:48pm
post #6 of 7

Do you dust it?

I got mines really cheap for $20 at rRoss and it works perfectly.

Jeannem Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jeannem Posted 2 Aug 2009 , 3:06pm
post #7 of 7

I hate to suggest this, but give it another try. When I first got my pasta machine, it just didn't work for me. I was ready to pitch it. One more try after I cleaned everything real real well-- from previous tries--and it worked like a charm.
For you first attempt, try rolling the paste fairly thin--so thin it barely needs the thickest setting. Dust with PS or CS, and try running it through slowly.I think it sounds like you're trying to run a thick piece through too fast, and that's what's causing the ripples. HTH

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%