Quick: Baking Help Needed With White On White Cake - Asap

Decorating By Pebbles1727 Updated 3 Aug 2009 , 1:54am by kylekaitlyn

Pebbles1727 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pebbles1727 Posted 1 Aug 2009 , 10:11pm
post #1 of 15

Anyone here who uses this recipe? I need quick help. I have allready ruined 4 batches trying to bake this cake, and ended up with only perfectly baked layer. I don't know what's going on, I have done this cake many times but today--it's just not going right! I'm about to pull my hair out! What in the world is going wrong?
It seemes to cave in spots either during baking or right out of the oven. Once leveled, the caved in spots are mushy and look raw. What in the world? I never had that happened before. I evel left last batch in the oven longer to make sure it's baked through, and yet, I's raw in a weirdest spots. I'm about to go out and buy DH to make this cake happen. I'm really running out of time on this one. Please help, I'm desperate. Why is it happening?

14 replies
JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 1 Aug 2009 , 10:16pm
post #2 of 15

Pebbles1727, you didn't provide a link to the recipe.

However, tunnels or spots can be caused by improper mixing.

Handy cake trouble-shooting charts:

http://tinyurl.com/2p5bdu

http://tinyurl.com/32goqe

http://tinyurl.com/6c745g

http://tinyurl.com/6lpjww

...And the WASC is a winner in my book. thumbs_up.gif

Everything you need to know to make, decorate and assemble tiered/stacked/layer cakes:

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-605188-.html

Above superthread has popular CC recipes for American buttercreams, several types of fondant and doctored cake mix (WASC and other flavor variations) - and so much more.

HTH

Pebbles1727 Posted 1 Aug 2009 , 10:27pm
post #3 of 15

http://www.bakespace.com/recipes/detail/White-on-White-Buttermilk-Cake-with-Jack-Daniels-Buttercream/7175/
Here is the link to the recipe, I know that many ccers are using it. It was also a part of our last month's bake-off.

I've made this recipe many-many times-I did nothing different this time: same ingredients, same way to mix, but it's just not turning out today. I have two layers in the oven at the same time, and one turns out and the other does not, so I don't think mixing is the answer, as they are from the same batch. I'd rather not do WASC, to me mind as well bake as per box's instructions. No offense to those who love it, to me it's just off-putting for taste and texture. I might have to do box if I cannot figure out what's going on with it and fix it in a reasonable amount of time.
Thanks, P

JanH Posted 1 Aug 2009 , 10:39pm
post #4 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pebbles1727

I've made this recipe many-many times-I did nothing different this time: same ingredients, same way to mix, but it's just not turning out today. I have two layers in the oven at the same time, and one turns out and the other does not, ...they are from the same batch.

Very strange. icon_eek.gif Sorry, I don't have any other suggestions. icon_sad.gif

Pebbles1727 Posted 1 Aug 2009 , 10:49pm
post #5 of 15
Quote:
Quote:

Very strange

Yep. Just took two more layers out-one turned out and one did not icon_cry.gif

So, have to do it again icon_cry.gif This is turning out to be some expensive cake icon_eek.gif

JanH Posted 1 Aug 2009 , 10:54pm
post #6 of 15

Seems making one a time, though time consuming might be the answer!

Good luck!!!

Pebbles1727 Posted 1 Aug 2009 , 11:03pm
post #7 of 15
Quote:
Quote:

Seems making one a time, though time consuming might be the answer!

Tried that too! It was a flop-same batter as the previous two cakes. Now, you see why I'm so frustrated. I'm running out of ideas of what to do. About to try a single layer all by its lonesome self again--maybe I'll get lucky this time icon_confused.gif

JanH Posted 1 Aug 2009 , 11:06pm
post #8 of 15

I'll say a quick prayer for your cakes!

Pebbles1727 Posted 1 Aug 2009 , 11:21pm
post #9 of 15

Thank you

ceshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ceshell Posted 1 Aug 2009 , 11:23pm
post #10 of 15

OMG I feel so bad for you! I would offer advice but I just can't think of anything that would make one LAYER work and the other not, when baked from the same batch and when you've made the cake successfully before. ???? icon_confused.gif I would definitely agree that if two cakes in the oven are not cooking the same, then there is something up with the air circulation in your oven and I am sending good cake vibes your way for a successful attempt with only one in the oven at a time.

Since I don't know where to find a "good vibes" emoticon, maybe this will help Image

xstitcher Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
xstitcher Posted 2 Aug 2009 , 6:36am
post #11 of 15

Ceshell after reading the above post it's my guess too that's something might be up with her oven.

Just a thought, are the cakes that are not baking properly coming placed in the same spot each time??

Pebbles1727 Posted 3 Aug 2009 , 1:16am
post #12 of 15
Quote:
Quote:

Just a thought, are the cakes that are not baking properly coming placed in the same spot each time??

Nope, different sides of the oven. But I think I finally figured it out. I decreased amount of batter in a pan by a cup and ditched bake even strips-baked like a charm. So hopefully, next time I won't have a problem. Thank you all for your encouragement.
P

kylekaitlyn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kylekaitlyn Posted 3 Aug 2009 , 1:21am
post #13 of 15

I hope you have it all figured out, but I was wondering about your pans. Did the flops come from the same one? Just a thought.

Pebbles1727 Posted 3 Aug 2009 , 1:41am
post #14 of 15
Quote:
Quote:

I hope you have it all figured out, but I was wondering about your pans. Did the flops come from the same one? Just a thought.

Hmmm, I don't know-I was not looking at that, the pans are Wilton, but have not been used that much. What do you think might be wrong with the pan?
P

kylekaitlyn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kylekaitlyn Posted 3 Aug 2009 , 1:54am
post #15 of 15

I'm not sure. I tend to analyze things to the most basic parts then move on from there. It just seems possible that if the "underdone" cakes all came from the same pan, maybe there is some type of defect or difference in the weight of the pan. Just something to look at (and maybe a reason to get some new pans for next time).
Good Luck!!!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%