Just Returned From The Ices Gathering!!!!!!

Decorating By JGMB Updated 9 Aug 2009 , 1:08am by Loucinda

JGMB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JGMB Posted 1 Aug 2009 , 9:43pm
post #1 of 18

I live 1/2-hour drive from the ICES convention, so I paid my $50 and went for the day. It was AWESOME!!!!! The display cakes were amazing, I got a lot of new ideas, saw demonstrations of new techniques, and bought a bunch of products right there on site and avoided paying postage.

The big surprise was that I saw a bunch of cake celebrities just milling around in the vendors area: Colette Peters, Nicholas Lodge, Mike McCarey and 2 whose names I can't remember-- the blonde woman who made the Sleeping Beauty cake on a recent challenge and the cute young guy named James who went up against Bronwyn Weber on the Last Cake Standing show. Most surprising of all, though, was that Kerri Vincent actually hugged me!!!

17 replies
dailey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dailey Posted 2 Aug 2009 , 1:28am
post #2 of 18

sounds like fun! i plan on going tomarrow ... : )

JGMB Posted 2 Aug 2009 , 1:46am
post #3 of 18

Have a wonderful time!!

4Gifts4Lisa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
4Gifts4Lisa Posted 2 Aug 2009 , 4:25am
post #4 of 18

JGMB, you are thinking of James Roselle and Ashley Vicos...talked to James and he's awesome, and took a demo from Ashley, also very likeable! Kerry wasn't too nice to me, but I think she may have not been too happy after the general meeting fiasco. MOST of the big names are VERY nice to talk to; willing to do pics/autographs if you ask, and very free with tips and information. It's truly alot of fun.

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 2 Aug 2009 , 5:33am
post #5 of 18

Did you see the cute Jason and Joshua? They are so handsome.

Bohnlo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bohnlo Posted 2 Aug 2009 , 5:59am
post #6 of 18

I also just got back from ICES I could only go for the day due to work conflict. Then changed my mind this morning, changed it back and left at 10:30, Got there at 1:30 and hit the floor running straight to the vendor room. There were some really great deals there, And many vendors demonstrate some of their products. Nicholas Lodge was also there, answering questions at his booth. I was like a kid in a candy store!! Only had 45 min to check out the cake room. Fantastic cakes!!! Anyone that has not been to one of these, even if you can't afford the classes and registration, paying the $50 to get into the vendor area and cake areas is TOTALLY worth it. There is so much talent out there. And it really helps to get to buy the product w/o the shipping and handling, and some vendors even had show specials of 20% off and such. Wish I would of had more time. It was a day well spent.
Lori

JGMB Posted 2 Aug 2009 , 11:58am
post #7 of 18

Who are the cute Jason and Joshua, Rylan? Do they sell products, decorate cakes or what? I'm guessing I didn't see them -- nobody there took my breath away!! icon_wink.gif

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 2 Aug 2009 , 1:34pm
post #8 of 18

JGMB, Jason and Joshua are those two younger men who competes in in the Food Network challenges. They are usually partners. They also won the Kerry Vincent birthday challenge. I think they are so beautiful.

dailey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dailey Posted 3 Aug 2009 , 1:51am
post #9 of 18

i just got back : ) it was nice but i had my 2 little girls with me and they were *not* having fun! luckily, my husband had my soon-to-be one year old in the lobby so i didn't have to have all 3 of them. my thrill of the day was seeing mike from "mike's amazing cakes"...love his work!

quilting2011 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
quilting2011 Posted 3 Aug 2009 , 2:31am
post #10 of 18

We had a great time at ICES. The best part we stayed with friends in Chicago Tuesday, Wednesday. Had a chance to tour Chicago on our own, shop, visited the The Art Institute, Adler Planterium, take a walking chocolate tour, and visit bakeries on our own and try the local restaurants on Tuesday and Wednesday.

Thursday had 4 demos all day. I have learned so much just watching the demos. Geneva Friends picked us and we had dinner at their home, watched a movie, and walked around the Geneva area.

Friday morning. I was to tired. Decided to stay at our friends home and not have them drive us for 2 demos. We ended up going to downtown Chicago and the Navy pier. Had dinner at our friends home again watched a movie

Saturday - Geneva friends dropped us again for 2 demos, visited the cake gallery and vending room - had my inventory checklist so I would not duplicate items I have at home. Enjoyed the cake gallery.

Our Geneva friends picked us up at 4:30 for dinner at Onesti supper club in in St. Charles. Food was great at Onesti.

I missed the Friday breakfast meeting and the banquet any ICES items I missed?

Sunday - Geneva friends drove us back to our Chicago friends apartment We are on our way home to NY by car.

The ICES volunteers were great and staff.

Because I did not stay at any hotel I could not comment on the
hotel accomodations. The hotel staff was very helpful.

Did I miss anything important at the Friday breakfast meeting or Saturday banquet?. I had 4 banquet tickets- I donated it to lady with a one day pass. She was so happy!

Now I am going to San Diego next year. I plan to take classes all day Thursday and Saturday. Keep Friday open for sight seeing and Sunday for shopping or cake gallery viewing. Less stress for me.

hope to see you in San Diego.

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 3 Aug 2009 , 5:36am
post #11 of 18

Rylan, I saw James, he was there as one of the spokesperson for one of the fondant companies.

I was talking to Mike's assistant while he was off doing a demo. Wish I could remember his name. He is a hottie! I was asking who all was there from the challenges since I thought I had spotted some. There were several that were there. There were also quite a few that competed on the new TLC show Cake Off.

tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 3 Aug 2009 , 5:58am
post #12 of 18

I couldn't go this year.. icon_sad.gif I had 9 weddings this week!...I missed it icon_sad.gif
Edna

DuncanHinesgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DuncanHinesgirl Posted 3 Aug 2009 , 6:30pm
post #13 of 18

This was my first ICES ever and I agree with all the postings above about how cool it is and how the vendor hall is AWESOME. The graciousness of all "superstars" in the industry warmed my heart. I cannot say enough good things about Norm Davis and Ruth Rickey. They are such down-to-earth, fun people.

TexasSugar, Mike's assistant's name was also Mike. I can't seem to remember his last name though.

TexasSugar Posted 5 Aug 2009 , 1:36am
post #14 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuncanHinesgirl

TexasSugar, Mike's assistant's name was also Mike. I can't seem to remember his last name though.

Can you tell I wasn't looking at his name badge? icon_redface.gif

quilting2011 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
quilting2011 Posted 5 Aug 2009 , 2:48am
post #15 of 18

Hi Texas-

Glad you had a safe trip. Your cakes were gorgeous.

Driving from Chicago to New York was tiring but had a great time.

I am planning to go to San Diego next year. put in my vacation request-it has been approved - yeah!

Hope to see you in San Diego. I missed the Breakfast meeting and the banquet. Did you stay for the breakfast meeting?

I gave my 4 banquet tickets away to a lady who lived in Chicago and had a one day pass. I hope they give us the option next year to attend the banquet. My husband and I, and another couple were staying with friends in Geneva. We had a chance to tour Geneva and St. Charles downtown-had dinner at Onesti on Saturday night.

It would be nice if ICES gives attendees the option to attend the Saturday banquet.

See you in California Stacie

TexasSugar Posted 5 Aug 2009 , 2:56am
post #16 of 18

Thank you! We left the red one behind in a trash can so we'd have room for all the extra things going home with us.

I did go to the breakfast but skipped out on the banquet. I needed some down time and in fact had take a nap that night.

I wish they will give the option of the banquet or not. I know they have in the past. I didn't buy a banquet ticket in Omaha, but can't remember about the other ones I went to. It would definitely be something I would suggest contacting the future show directors about and telling them we want that option. Maybe if enough people ask about it they will give it again.

sugarshack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarshack Posted 5 Aug 2009 , 10:54pm
post #17 of 18

Whew! 2 days of driving to get back! Not fun.

We had a great time and it was SO wonderful to finally meet so many of you and put faces with names. Thank you for stopping by my booth, where I was held captive and not able to mix and mingle! LOL

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 9 Aug 2009 , 1:08am
post #18 of 18

It was so great to meet all the folks there! Many of my CC buddies and DuncanHinesGirl......what a surprise!! icon_biggrin.gif I got pics with many of the wonderful famous cake folks - and got to meet and talk with several of them - I am still in awe! My family is getting tired of hearing all of my cake stories....I just had such a great time. Sooo much talent in one place - I am very lucky to have had the opportunity to go. It should be against the law to have had so much fun! icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%