To All The Cricut Users.......

Decorating By Mikel79 Updated 14 Aug 2009 , 1:56am by stampinron

Mikel79 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mikel79 Posted 1 Aug 2009 , 2:10pm
post #1 of 27

I apologize for this new thread, but I have asked this question twice in the main thread, but it seems to get lost. There is over 200 replies, so I can see how it can get lost....=)

It sounds like you have to let your Gumpaste sit out for a little while to stiffen up. If this is the case, can the gumpaste still be applied to the side of a round cake without cracking. My concern is that the GP will be to stiff to contour to the curve of the cake????

Thanks

26 replies
ptanyer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ptanyer Posted 1 Aug 2009 , 7:29pm
post #2 of 27

I think that it will get to stiff to lay on a rounded surface after it dries. Have you watched the DVD? Linda cuts her gumpaste and then lays it on cake boards (they look like the plastic ones) and puts them in large ziplock bags and puts them in the freezer. Then takes them out and lets them sit for 20 minutes or so to defrost. That will leave them pliable and able to attach to any shape cake without cracking/splitting/tearing.

Hope that helps icon_smile.gif

Mikel79 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mikel79 Posted 1 Aug 2009 , 7:31pm
post #3 of 27

Thank You!! I have not seen the DVD, nor do I have a Cricut. I am turning 30 in a few months and think the Birthday Fairy is getting me one...=)

Just doing some research before I get one...

Thanks again!!

ptanyer Posted 1 Aug 2009 , 7:41pm
post #4 of 27

You're welcome!

Order the DVD before you spend any more money - it has a lot of insight into doing this type of work, and well worth the money.

Sina Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sina Posted 1 Aug 2009 , 10:46pm
post #5 of 27

Get the DVD. I ordered it and it is well worth the price. I hope to get the Cricut Expression soon.

kaseyrconnect Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kaseyrconnect Posted 1 Aug 2009 , 11:12pm
post #6 of 27

what is the name of the dvd that you mentioned? i cant afford a cricut right now but would like to know more about it.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 1 Aug 2009 , 11:48pm
post #7 of 27

What DVD are you guys talking about?

ptanyer Posted 2 Aug 2009 , 12:07am
post #8 of 27

Linda McClure has a DVD that shows you how to cut gumpaste on a Cricut. Her website is: http://www.deseretdesigns.com/. The 2 disc DVD is $34.95 + shipping. I ordered mine on a Sunday morning and received it in the mail the following Saturday.

GSA also has it for $34.99 + shipping and we all know what great service they have! Here's the link: http://www.globalsugarart.com/product.php?id=16803.

I have been working on a 11" x 11" bullmastiff for a Groom's Cake, cut out of black fondant/gumpaste/gumtex mixture. I've attached a photo of my 1st try.

Hope that helps icon_smile.gif
LL
LL

cakesmade4u Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesmade4u Posted 2 Aug 2009 , 12:18am
post #9 of 27

Does anyone have the first thread they can direct me to? TIA

ptanyer Posted 2 Aug 2009 , 12:27am
post #10 of 27

There are several threads:

http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-639855-cricut.html

http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-640768-cricut.html

http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-613921-cricut.html

http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-641046-cricut.html

There are many more you can search for them by typing in "Cricut" in the search box in the forums and checking "topic" only. That will bring up all the current Cricut topics.

Have fun! icon_smile.gif

See if this link works: http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-640769-cricut.html

kaseyrconnect Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kaseyrconnect Posted 2 Aug 2009 , 12:55am
post #11 of 27

thanks ptanyer-after looking at your pics i know that i am going to get the dvd for sure and then maybe it will make me more determined to save up for the cricut machine

thanks again

cakesmade4u Posted 2 Aug 2009 , 3:35am
post #12 of 27

Thanks thumbs_up.gif

ptanyer Posted 2 Aug 2009 , 3:57am
post #13 of 27

You're welcome thumbs_up.gif

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 2 Aug 2009 , 9:06pm
post #14 of 27

Wow! That gumpaste is thick! Is that why you're using the blue deep -cut housing? I've been going super thin - setting 9 on the Allied pasta roller.

ptanyer Posted 2 Aug 2009 , 10:56pm
post #15 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by leahs

Wow! That gumpaste is thick! Is that why you're using the blue deep -cut housing? I've been going super thin - setting 9 on the Allied pasta roller.

Yes, that one was thick. I have since done 2 more and each one has gotten thinner and thinner, almost to the thickness of card stock. My project is 11" x 11" and I can't roll anything out on my clay machine wider than 6". The one in the photo was rolled out with a rolling pin. The last two I have done were rolled out on the clay machine to the first setting , 12" long and 6" wide. Then I laid it on the center of the prepared mat and using my smoothers worked the gumpaste wider and wide and consequently thinner and thinner. Then trimmed it square and loaded it and cut it. The last one I did was really thin and the edges were the smoothest yet.

Even when cutting really thin gumpaste the deep cut blade in the blue housing gives a much better cut. Cricut advises using the deep cut blade on card stock and similar products.

SweetMelissa2007 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetMelissa2007 Posted 3 Aug 2009 , 12:30am
post #16 of 27

Are you able to actually put the gumpaste into the cricut on the mat? I was wondering how that worked!

ptanyer Posted 3 Aug 2009 , 12:46am
post #17 of 27

Yes icon_biggrin.gif

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 3 Aug 2009 , 9:55pm
post #18 of 27

I am so bummed..My DVD came today and I got through about 20 minutes of the first DVD and it started to bumble and twitch and the picture and sound distorted...The DVD player could no longer read it..So I put the second one in and it wouldn't even play..I looked at the back of both DVD's and they are severly scuffed etc....I think they got damaged in transit icon_cry.gificon_cry.gif I emailed Linda and am waiting for a response but I'm sure she will rectify the problem! thumbs_up.gif

I wanted to play..... icon_wink.gif

Laurel thumbs_up.gif

CakeandDazzle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeandDazzle Posted 3 Aug 2009 , 10:54pm
post #19 of 27

they will be on sale this weekend at joanns for 99!! thinking about getting one after this post love the dog!!

ptanyer Posted 3 Aug 2009 , 11:15pm
post #20 of 27

Thank you!

cakesmade4u Posted 13 Aug 2009 , 8:28pm
post #21 of 27

Which cricut machine is the best one to use for the gumpaste use? TIA

dutchy1971 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dutchy1971 Posted 13 Aug 2009 , 8:44pm
post #22 of 27

Depends on what you want. I have the personal so my limit is 6"x 11" with the expression you can use the 12" x 12" and the 12" x 24" cutting mats. I think I will end up getting the expression at some point but right now I'm happy with my personal cricut.

HTH

cakesmade4u Posted 13 Aug 2009 , 9:40pm
post #23 of 27

Thanks for the info I'm hoping to get one soon... I just wasnt to sure if there was one that worked better then the other or you had to use.. Also is there a special blade that needs to be on the cricut to cut the gumpaste? Thanks

yer_1fantasy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yer_1fantasy Posted 14 Aug 2009 , 12:04am
post #24 of 27

Wow, I have been viewing the posts and now I have a reason *wink wink, to buy a cricut! You have all opened up a whole new world to me! I am still learning and looking forward to more ideas, recipes, and forums...thanks! icon_biggrin.gif

dutchy1971 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dutchy1971 Posted 14 Aug 2009 , 12:55am
post #25 of 27

cakesmade4u the deep blade blue housing unit is what you want to use. The cricut comes with the standard green housing blade, but it doesn't seem to cut well enough with the gumpaste. It's not very expensive to buy. I would suggest buying a few cutting mats tho, so you can set up a few at a time I have 4 rolled out and sitting in the freezer ready for me to use later tonight.

BTW a little something I did last week, I popped my rolled gumpaste on mats into the freezer for an hour then pulled them out for 15mins before cutting, having the gumpaste a little colder seemed to help, for me at least. icon_smile.gif

cakesmade4u Posted 14 Aug 2009 , 1:45am
post #26 of 27

dutchy1971 thanks so much for all the info I can't wait untill I can get one..

stampinron Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stampinron Posted 14 Aug 2009 , 1:56am
post #27 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by CakeandDazzle

they will be on sale this weekend at joanns for 99!! thinking about getting one after this post love the dog!!

Is this a one day sale? Saturday or Sunday???? I think this is turning into a "must-have"

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%