7.31.09 Friday Night Cake Club

Decorating By leah_s Updated 1 Aug 2009 , 8:08pm by Cathy26

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 1 Aug 2009 , 2:34am
post #1 of 20

is called to order.
Who's up?
Whatcha working on?

I missed everyone last week when i couldn't get CC to work!

19 replies
__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 1 Aug 2009 , 2:37am
post #2 of 20

Yooooooo Leahs! Working on a gift package cake a la' Pink Cake Box style. Very cute. They are chilling before I lay out the fondant. On squares. I'm prepared to do battle!

PinkZiab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PinkZiab Posted 1 Aug 2009 , 2:48am
post #3 of 20

Working on a cake for my boyfriend's surprise 40th party tomorrow... something Star Wars-y... flying by the seat of my pants, really lol. My 8 year old also made him a cake, so at least HERS is finished lol... I doubt I'll be sleeping tonight. I LOVE my boyfriend to no end, but I am just SOOOOOO unmotivated to do anything I'm not getting paid for lately lol.

CanadianCakin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CanadianCakin Posted 1 Aug 2009 , 2:51am
post #4 of 20

I am working on my Nephews 1st birthday cake for sunday. I am finishing up the characters, palm tress and the little extras.
I ahve a question....what's the best thing to use under fondant it High heat and humidity weather? The party of course is outside and it's been around 100 F with high humidity. I am so scared we are going to fall apart! I know there will be some sagging, but what's the best thing to avoid most of it?

leah_s Posted 1 Aug 2009 , 2:58am
post #5 of 20

I swear by the Whipped Cream Buttercream recipe here in the recipe section It's heat and humidity stable.

I'm making cinnamon rolls for tomorrow's breakfast.

No weddings this weekend. Scary.

loulou2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
loulou2 Posted 1 Aug 2009 , 3:05am
post #6 of 20

Taking a break this weekend. Gonna sew instead!! icon_lol.gif

Molly2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Molly2 Posted 1 Aug 2009 , 3:10am
post #7 of 20

Not baking just sewing a quilt for my son tonight
but I did get a new book today it is
"Party Animal Cakes by Lindy Smith" Can't wait to make one of her cakes

Molly icon_biggrin.gif

goldstarcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
goldstarcakes Posted 1 Aug 2009 , 3:11am
post #8 of 20

I just got back from a trip to the cake supply store and I'm gonna try out Sweetex for the 1st time this weekend. My cousin is coming for a visit and I'm going to let my girls (and cuz) try their hands at icing with some mini cakes. It should be fun and messy!

mcdonald Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mcdonald Posted 1 Aug 2009 , 3:11am
post #9 of 20

Decorated cheesecake for me tomorrow. New york cheesecake that I swirled in strawberry filling and then I am going to cover in chocolate ganache. A birthday cake for someone....

can I use regular buttercream to decorate around the top?? I mean.. will it taste alright with the cheesecake

Sox-n-Pats Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sox-n-Pats Posted 1 Aug 2009 , 3:29am
post #10 of 20

No cake, but I'm working on a gumpaste/fondant items for next weekends cakes... a mexican blanket, chili peppers, cactus, a sombrero and some chocolate chess pieces.

leah_s Posted 1 Aug 2009 , 3:32am
post #11 of 20

Yeah, bc + cheesecake is a little sweet, but fine.

3SheetCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
3SheetCakes Posted 1 Aug 2009 , 3:34am
post #12 of 20

I'm already finished up for the weekend. I delivered a Tinkerbell cake this morning and I had a small birthday cake for pharmacist that was picked up this evening. I'm just going to sit back and enjoy the weekend now. Two wedding cakes for next weekend, so there will be no relaxation next week.

One of the brides is being a last minute pain in the rear. She can't make up her mind what she wants. She is one of those "I just want something cheap and simple" brides who then proceeds to send pictures of really elaborate cakes. They just don't understand what goes into making these monsters!

Good luck tonight everybody. I hope you are all able to get some sleep!

mcdonald Posted 1 Aug 2009 , 3:42am
post #13 of 20

yea... that's what I am thinking.. too sweet.... I guess something whipped would be good.

I am just happy I have an easy week end..... the summer is almost over... I'm resting and getting ready for the next wave.

notjustcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
notjustcake Posted 1 Aug 2009 , 3:46am
post #14 of 20

Working on a 12x18 doble layered sheet cake brown with blue border for a baby shower with jungle animal fondant cut outs, I am so tired I really just want to sleep but cake is getting picked up at 7:30am and I gotta go take a test at 8am

mcdonald Posted 1 Aug 2009 , 3:46am
post #15 of 20

anyone else working on anything??? Seems quiet tonight

Suzycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Suzycakes Posted 1 Aug 2009 , 3:49am
post #16 of 20

Sounds like an easy weekend for all the regular FNCC visitors!!!

I only had 2 small cakes all week - icon_smile.gif - and I just got home from pre-wedding shower gift opening for my daughter and her fiance. The shower is tomorrow morning - but here the brides open the majority of their gifts the night before so they can be displayed and they can visit with the attendees during the actual shower. We have 4 gift shops in our little town that carry almost anything and everything from china to everyday to everything to decorate with - so they keep the gifts once they are bought and wrap and deliver them.

So I am in for a pleasant, relaxing weekend!! Especially since all the gifts can go to the home where the fiance is living - their future home - and not have to come to my house!!

Have a great one ya'll!

Suze

mandymomof3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mandymomof3 Posted 1 Aug 2009 , 3:53am
post #17 of 20

I am working on an 80th bday cake for my dh grandma - party tomorrow. Inspiration from a cake here. Unfortunately, don't think my wire's sturdy enough for my fondant balls. Will find out tomorrow when it's assembled!!

mandymomof3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mandymomof3 Posted 1 Aug 2009 , 3:55am
post #18 of 20

I am working on an 80th bday cake for my dh grandma. party tomorrow. Finding out that my wire is not sturdy enough for the fondant balls, but we'll see when it's assembled tomorrow.

LKing12 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LKing12 Posted 1 Aug 2009 , 5:20am
post #19 of 20

Working on a full sheet cake. Letting it rest for the night, will finish in the morning. I am going to deliver it on my way to church Sunday morning.
I am thinking about the 80th birthday cake for my SIL I am going to do next weekend. She sews quilt tops, and, I would love to do a cake with a quilt or sewing motif. Will be transporiting to my DH's family reunion in MO next Saturday.
Be safe everyone!

Cathy26 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cathy26 Posted 1 Aug 2009 , 8:08pm
post #20 of 20

i was just baking tonight - 10 inch madeira, 8 inch coconut and a 4 inch madeira and then I made a gumpaste figure for an order for next week.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%