Do You Stay And Serve?

Business By happy1mom Updated 1 Aug 2009 , 1:12am by leah_s

happy1mom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
happy1mom Posted 31 Jul 2009 , 11:40pm
post #1 of 4

Do you all stay at a venue to personally cut and serve your cakes? If you just drop off the cake and leave, do you give your client instructions on how to cut it? Just wondering, because at my sister's wedding (before I knew anything about how cakes are made), her cake was dropped off and when it was time to cut into it, nobody had any idea on how they were suppose to do it. They pretty much went at it as if the servings would never end. Pieces were cut too big, not enough to go around, etc. We even wondered why in the world did they put "sticks" in it? Hee-hee! It was a great looking cake. My sister liked it so much that she's returning to them to order an anniversary cake this year.

So how do you handle those situations? Do you stay and serve, or leave after instructions are given?

3 replies
indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 1 Aug 2009 , 12:04am
post #2 of 4

I dont' know anyone who assumes that if a cake is ordered from a "traditional" bakery, that someone from the bakery stays and cuts it.

So why would they assume that any other "baker person" would stay and cut the cake? icon_confused.gif Unless it was a service specifically discussed and paid for at the onset?

Someone is spending hundreds of dollars on a wedding cake and they don't ask "Oh by the way, how do you cut these things? Do YOU stay and cut them?"

At the same time, I think it's prudent of the cake person to cover this information in the consultation. It's part of my consultation, when a couple is ordering a D&R (Drop & Run) cake, that I ask them, "who is cutting your cake?" After all, I don't want my cake chopped and mangled. I dont' want them claiming I didn't make enough cake just because they cut it wrong.

If it's a family member, I ask if they've ever cut one before and direct them to my website page with "How to Cut A Wedding Cake" instructions.

If they tell me the caterer is cutting it, I ask them "Does the caterer KNOW they're cutting it or are you just assuming they will?" and then I cover cake cutting fees, the skill needed to cut a cake and how the caterer needs to know that so they can schedule staffing who knows how to cut a cake. (Lesson? Never assume!)

If they buy just they cake from me (no buffet), then it's a D&R. If they want me to stay and cut it .... well, let's just say that's never come up because of the hourly rate for MY time to park my butt at a wedding for hours.

paolacaracas Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
paolacaracas Posted 1 Aug 2009 , 12:07am
post #3 of 4

I rather quit cakes!!!!!

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 1 Aug 2009 , 1:12am
post #4 of 4

I NEVER stay to cut the cake. I'm home with my feet propped up by then.

I do leave a cutting chart with the cake, and if it's a venue I haven't been to previously, or a caterer I haven't worked with previously, then I review the chart with them.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%