Please Help-Painting Fondant- So Frustrated

Decorating By cupcakefrost Updated 11 Jun 2015 , 5:48pm by CakeJewel

cupcakefrost Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupcakefrost Posted 31 Jul 2009 , 10:33pm
post #1 of 21

hi all. . . i've been trying to paint fondant for the longest n just can't seem to get it right. i tried food coloring n water, food coloring n vodka, food coloring n lemon juice, n luster dust with all of the above. i tried small and not so small amounts of water/liquid n it's always runny. i've even tried melting different color candy melts to use as paint.

've seen people on tv paint cakes like u would paint on canvas, n the 'paint' is very opaque n goes on easily. is this another kind of edible paint? i just can't seem to get it right. do u have any idea what i am doing wrong?

i would appreciate any help. i've been having to pipe frosting in different colors when it would be easier to just 'paint' n this is killing my hand ths next day icon_sad.gif.
thanks for any input. icon_cry.gificon_cry.gif

20 replies
Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 31 Jul 2009 , 10:52pm
post #2 of 21

I will only suggest using alcohol or extracts to dillute food gel and dusts. The runny problem you get is having too much liquid added. Sometimes it takes as little as a drop to get the right consitency. Try using a dropper to add alcohol.

cherrycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cherrycakes Posted 31 Jul 2009 , 11:11pm
post #3 of 21

I have only painted one cake - it's the leopard cake in my pictures. I read on CC somewhere to dip your brush in a tiny bit of gel colour and then dip the brush very lightly into the vodka and then paint. It gives a bit of a water colour effect but I found that method worked very well for me. Oh, I used the candy melt tray that Wilton sells for the colours and vodka - worked nicely.

msulli10 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
msulli10 Posted 31 Jul 2009 , 11:32pm
post #4 of 21

I think you can also use the Americolor airbrush food coloring straight from the container without having to dilute it.

LambrinieCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LambrinieCakes Posted 1 Aug 2009 , 12:07am
post #5 of 21

Depending on what I'm painting would depend on if I added liquid (Vodka) to my food color paste or not.

If I want a dark color I don't add any liquid at all.
If I want a lighter color that I can build on I would add a very very, very, small drop of vodka to my food color paste.

Tam

underthesun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
underthesun Posted 1 Aug 2009 , 10:42pm
post #6 of 21

If it's runny, you are definitely using too much liquid. Never water. Vodka or my favorite lemon extract. Lemon extract can be 85-90% alcohol, which dries very very quickly. Use a small dish of gel or luster dust and as others suggest, use a dropper to add your vodka or extract. Just a drop or 2. You will find the alcohol might evaporate and you will need to continue to add a drops as you paint. Good luck icon_biggrin.gif

jillmakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jillmakescakes Posted 1 Aug 2009 , 11:47pm
post #7 of 21

I found that it takes a large amount of gel color to the amount of vodka. I then use a different brush to mix the colors together and wait about 3-4 minutes for the color to sort of settle into the vodka.

Best of luck!!

alidpayne Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alidpayne Posted 1 Aug 2009 , 11:56pm
post #8 of 21

probably what you have seen them using that was opaque was coco butter. You can get it in all types of colors or color it yourself using oil based colors for chocolate. It is very similar to oil paint in consistency.

alidpayne Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alidpayne Posted 1 Aug 2009 , 11:57pm
post #9 of 21

probably what you have seen them using that was opaque was coco butter. You can get it in all types of colors or color it yourself using oil based colors for chocolate. It is very similar to oil paint in consistency.

Bonnie151 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bonnie151 Posted 2 Aug 2009 , 4:00pm
post #10 of 21

I've completely stopped painting using alcohol or lemon juice and have switched to mixing my colours with melted white fat (I'm assuming similar to Crisco). It's much like using cocoa butter and gives a lovely paint texture that is easy to use.

jimandmollie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jimandmollie Posted 2 Aug 2009 , 4:23pm
post #11 of 21

I always use clear Wilton vanilla because I have it on hand.

I think it helps to think of the vanilla as something to thin out the gel colors with. You really aren't trying to mix the two together and make paint. If you do that it won't work.

I always take a little glob of gel food coloring and put it on a white ceramic dinner plate. The I put a few drops of vanilla on the other side of the plate. I dip my brush in the vanilla and then kind of pull a little bit of the coloring away from the glob. I try that on a scrap piece of fondant and if it is too thick then I can dip in the vanilla again and thin it a bit more.

Another piece of advice, try to make sure that your first coat is thick enough to be your final product. I find it really hard to go back over something again to make it darker. It seems like the paint that has already dried seems to dissolve when I paint back over it.

I hope that helps. Keep at it, you will get it! icon_smile.gif

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 2 Aug 2009 , 4:40pm
post #12 of 21

I've used lots of different mediums for painting depending on what I wanna do.

I think everclear is the best alcohol I've ever used but all the others work ok too.

If the color is running I would think you are applying too much paint.

Painting thougths for you.

Lidunka25 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lidunka25 Posted 2 Aug 2009 , 5:08pm
post #13 of 21

i am using edible airbrush colors, without adding anything. If I dont have these i mix gel with water and powder sygar to paintable consustency. It dries fast too.

cupcakefrost Posted 2 Aug 2009 , 5:12pm
post #14 of 21

hey guys,thank u all for ur replies!! i'm sorry it took me so long to say thanks, but i was expecting to get an email notification of any responses (i clicked the box to notify me). when i didn't get emails, i figured no one had responded, but decided to check anyway. icon_smile.gif

in any case, thanks so much. i realize i must have been adding too much liquid!! i was using a candy cavity of water with a little food coloring, lol. i feel dumb, now. duh, it was just too much liquid! lol. i'll try less liquid, n also the liquid fat to see how that works.

was just asked to make a bud light can cake so now have a new question. . . if anyone has made one, is it hard to put fondant on sideways?? i've never done tat before, but since i am making the can upright, i will have to either roll the cake in the fondant on its side or try to put the fondant on the side while it's standing. it'll be a few layers of round cake too, so i am little worried if it'll be smooth or if it'll have indentations where the layers meet. is there a good way to avoid this?
again, thanks for all ur help. this forum is a treasure!

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 2 Aug 2009 , 5:21pm
post #15 of 21

You can roll the fondant just like a tape and simply unroll it when you start covering (staning up position).

cupcakefrost Posted 2 Aug 2009 , 5:28pm
post #16 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rylan

You can roll the fondant just like a tape and simply unroll it when you start covering (staning up position).

didnt think of this. . . the fondant won't stick to itself? i use fondarific n it's a little soft. cud definitely try it. thanks

cupcakefrost Posted 2 Aug 2009 , 5:29pm
post #17 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rylan

didnt think of this. . . the fondant won't stick to itself? i use fondarific n it's a little soft. cud definitely try it. thanks

shaleha Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shaleha Posted 19 Jan 2015 , 11:52pm
post #18 of 21

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bonnie151 

I've completely stopped painting using alcohol or lemon juice and have switched to mixing my colours with melted white fat (I'm assuming similar to Crisco). It's much like using cocoa butter and gives a lovely paint texture that is easy to use.

Hi

Appreciate if you could you show me the cake which you did the painting. I have a cake which requires me to paint in 3 colors and was thinking of using lemon as it has to be halal. I need the top to dry up quickly so I can put cake toppers.

bubs1stbirthday Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bubs1stbirthday Posted 20 Jan 2015 , 12:20am
post #19 of 21

Quote:

Originally Posted by shaleha 

Hi

Appreciate if you could you show me the cake which you did the painting. I have a cake which requires me to paint in 3 colors and was thinking of using lemon as it has to be halal. I need the top to dry up quickly so I can put cake toppers.

Using straight lemon juice in place of lemon extract wont work in the same way. Personally I would use water before I would use lemon as lemon dries sticky but the water though it takes longer to dry than alcohol will dry without leaving the fondant sticky. I imagine if you google painting a cake with cocoa butter you should find examples such as this link found in a quick search http://cakepoppins.blogspot.com.au/2012/09/painting-with-cocoa-butter.html you should find heaps more easily.

nikki1227 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nikki1227 Posted 20 Jan 2015 , 11:00am
post #20 of 21

I use Vanilla Vodka with Americolor colors, it leaves a lovely smell when dry. If I need silver or gold, I just use my Americolor airbrush color straight out of the bottle and it works great!

CakeJewel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeJewel Posted 11 Jun 2015 , 5:48pm
post #21 of 21

Hi Bnnie151, I'm replying to a posh you did many years ago, hope you're still here, or maybe someone else can answer, 

When hand painting straight with airbrush colors alone, it starts to make my fondant sticky, is this from the water in it and I can never get a nice solid coverage of say gold or silver, it's very thin. Another question, when you mix the paint with crisco (vegetable oil) does it make the color come out smeary because of th oil?

thank you

Jewel

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%