Baseball Hat Cake Questions

Decorating By AXOCutie143 Updated 31 Jul 2009 , 10:42pm by AXOCutie143

AXOCutie143 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AXOCutie143 Posted 31 Jul 2009 , 7:17pm
post #1 of 3

I've found a lot of great posts on CC about the infamous Baseball Hat cake, but I had a few of my own questions. I'm fairly new to cake decorating, but I would love to make an awesome cake for my husbands upcoming birthday. He is a huge St. Louis Cardinals fan, and I would love to make him something like this for his birthday (apologies if this is someone's cake here, I stumbled across the picture on Flikr)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/amandascakes/2096879884/

OBviously mine would be nearly that detailed as I am not a professional, but I figured I could do close to the same thing. OK, now to my questions:

1.) How many people would the hat plus home plate serve? I'm wondering if I should just ditch home plate and focus all my energy on the hat.
2.) What's the best way to make the hat? I've seen people here use half the ball pan plus a six inch round, but if I'm going to put the hat on something I'm wondering if it will be too big and I should use just the ball pan.
3.) What's the best way to stack the hat?
4.) How do you make your logos? I didn't know if I should try to stencil and cut using fondant...

Thanks for all your help ladies, I hope I'm not taking on too much, being new to all of this, but it's for my hubby so I want to make it awesome icon_wink.gif

2 replies
christinapp Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
christinapp Posted 31 Jul 2009 , 8:51pm
post #2 of 3

I am not sure about the servings. The hat cake I made my husband for his birthday (in my photos), was my first carved cake. I made it using a regular kitchen bowl. I cut cake in half, added filling, and replace the other half. For the more rounded top, I stacked on pieces left from carving into shape. Indents are made by cutting slits into cake. The beak of the hat was gumpaste made in advanced, and dried on a template of same shape, with something under the center of the template to create the curve. Logo was fondant cut out from a cardboad template. Logo should be made just when needed.
If you're going to make it in advanced it has to be placed on a curved surface to take the shape of the cake, or else it will dry flat.

AXOCutie143 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AXOCutie143 Posted 31 Jul 2009 , 10:42pm
post #3 of 3

I found another Cardinals hat cake here on CC, and it seems that theyy used small lines of rolled fondant to make the logo. That might be the best option for me:

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=41477

I'm still curious about the best way to stack a cake like this.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%