Zebra Design

Decorating By Sign1965 Updated 31 Jul 2009 , 8:26pm by ashepard1981

Sign1965 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sign1965 Posted 31 Jul 2009 , 5:02pm
post #1 of 8

I have never worked with Fondant. I was looking at some pictures of cakes and was wondering how do you make the zebra stripes and letters out of fondant. I want to make a cake for my daughters cheer team and zebra is accessory look.

7 replies
Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 31 Jul 2009 , 5:40pm
post #2 of 8

Most people basically cut random stripes with a pizza cutter and stick it to the cake. To make letters out of fondant, you can purchase cutters or you can cut the fondant out yourself with an exacto knife. I prefer to use gumpaste, fondant/gumpaste mixture or fondant with tylose when you are making letters, that way it keeps it's shape better (especially for the delicate ones).

agentdorkfish Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
agentdorkfish Posted 31 Jul 2009 , 5:42pm
post #3 of 8

I haven't used fondant before, but you could probably free-hand cutting the stripes out and letters. Or you could find a template and print it out then use that as a guide to cut them out.

I made my sister a zebra-stripe cake but I didn't use fondant. I just used buttercream. I made an outline of the stripes and filled them in using a star-tip. Fondant looks much better, though.

SJ169 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SJ169 Posted 31 Jul 2009 , 5:50pm
post #4 of 8

I havent done much with fondant letters but I think gumpaste would work better for that. as far a zebra stripes, i find them so easy! i just take my little pizza cutter and make random stripe designs lol

pkinkema Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pkinkema Posted 31 Jul 2009 , 5:51pm
post #5 of 8

I did the freehand method. You can find scrapbook paper in zebra stripes, or fabric, for inspiration.

Sign1965 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sign1965 Posted 31 Jul 2009 , 6:46pm
post #6 of 8

I wanna thank everyone for their advice.

sign1965

FlourPots Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FlourPots Posted 31 Jul 2009 , 8:05pm
post #7 of 8

Here is an awesome video tutorial: http://www.creativecelebrationcakes.co.uk/page49.htm

ashepard1981 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ashepard1981 Posted 31 Jul 2009 , 8:26pm
post #8 of 8

I've only done one zebra striped and thought it turned out ok! I just rolled out the fondant and used an exacto knife to cut random peices! The pic is in my gallery!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%