Shiny Fondant??

Decorating By Swede74 Updated 31 Jul 2009 , 10:07pm by ikklejo

Swede74 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Swede74 Posted 31 Jul 2009 , 3:14pm
post #1 of 7

How do I get that shiny look on fondant? I just made a hard hat, but I think it would look better if it was shiny like the real ones - any suggestions?
Thanks in advance!
-Lisa

6 replies
Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 31 Jul 2009 , 3:49pm
post #2 of 7

You can paint it with vodka and gel colors or rub crisco on it, or paint it with confectioner's glaze.

Cake_Princess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cake_Princess Posted 31 Jul 2009 , 3:49pm
post #3 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swede74

How do I get that shiny look on fondant? I just made a hard hat, but I think it would look better if it was shiny like the real ones - any suggestions?
Thanks in advance!
-Lisa

Use a small amount of Crisco.

yellobutterfly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yellobutterfly Posted 31 Jul 2009 , 3:49pm
post #4 of 7

On the cakeboss show they're always "steaming" fondant with a steam machine and that gives it that glossy/shiney look - maybe an expert here will chime in with specifics on that technique icon_wink.gif

majka_ze Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
majka_ze Posted 31 Jul 2009 , 3:55pm
post #5 of 7

I suppose pearl dust is out of question for you? This is what is used to give the shiny, shiny look on most professional made cakes.

Here are some homemade alternatives. They don't work for all fondant. You need to try it on a spare piece or somewhere where you won't see it if it doesn't work.

1. Polish dry with paper towel - You want to melt the upper layer of sugar to get a shine. Most work for probably least effect of all suggested, but least damage risk.

2. Polish with water only - wet your finger a little and rub the fondant. The same principle as above, should work better.

3. Try grease (vegetable oil or crisco). Try this before going all out on your cake! This can work perfect for you or leave streaks! Rub a little grease on your fondant.
You should get most shine, but this has the most risks hidden. Some people swear by this method, I use it sometimes for my homemade sugarpaste.

and 4. - let it be as it is. Show it somebody else and I bet they tell you it is perfect!

Swede74 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Swede74 Posted 31 Jul 2009 , 10:03pm
post #6 of 7

Thank you all for your suggestions! I might try the crisco method or leave it as is. I have used the vodka before but it was on a fish tail sticking out of a basket, so nobody was going to eat it (or maybe they did, I don't knowicon_smile.gif)
-Lisa

ikklejo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ikklejo Posted 31 Jul 2009 , 10:07pm
post #7 of 7

I asked this question a feww weeks ago and have discovered if u use the steamer on your iron it works great icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%