Colouring Smbc

Decorating By MikeRowesHunny Updated 1 Aug 2009 , 8:37am by MikeRowesHunny

MikeRowesHunny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MikeRowesHunny Posted 31 Jul 2009 , 2:55pm
post #1 of 3

Hi all, I am decorating a cake later today that needs the SMBC to be coloured light & dark pink, yellow & green. When I have added colour to SMBC before, it sort of beads in the buttercream and doesn't really blend in properly. I use Americolor gels - any tips on how to get the SMBC to take colour better? Thanks!

2 replies
drakegore Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
drakegore Posted 31 Jul 2009 , 6:52pm
post #2 of 3

i haven't had the color beading problem with smbc which is what i use 99% of the time, but i did when i was using regular crisco/ps bc recipes. i have done yellow and pink smbc with just wilton, lime green with americolor.

i use land o'lakes butter (i have no clue if this would help, just throwin' it out there).

do you have candy colors you could use? they look fabulous with smbc, very bright and clear.

or, using flo-coat with your colors?

diane

MikeRowesHunny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MikeRowesHunny Posted 1 Aug 2009 , 8:37am
post #3 of 3

Thanks Diane! I managed to get the colour to take better this time by beating it into the SMBC with my KA, rather than stirring it in by hand (which is what I do when I need more than 1 colour). I do a lot of chocolate transfers, so have lots of candy colourings - I will give that a go for sure next time (I saw your reply to late this time)! Thanks!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%