What About This Idea

Business By Kitagrl Updated 31 Jul 2009 , 4:15pm by Kitagrl

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 31 Jul 2009 , 3:20am
post #1 of 7

My business has been fairly busy lately...of course doing this from home I can only take like 3-4 cake orders per week (including 3D or tiered...I usually don't do many plain round or sheets.).

Anyway I have a couple of cakes that are really good (in my opinion haha) that don't get ordered much in the decorated cakes....and I have a few totally awesome cookie recipes too.

I'm *thinking* about, maybe around Thanksgiving, having a sort of "limited time" order window to where they can order either my German Apple Cake, a Pumpkin Cake, or a tray of cookies for Thanksgiving. Maybe like have one certain date all the orders have to be in by, and then one certain week they have to be picked up. And I'm thinking maybe each of them priced at $40.

My question is...do you think this would be profitable? Also, I'm trying to figure out if this would help my business, or just make it more annoying....or if it would be more of a hassle than its worth? Or I wonder if it would take away from regular cake orders...hmmm.

At Christmastime I also have a very yummy chocolate torte cake I could offer (but oh yeah I'm out of town oops...never mind...)....

So I guess I'm looking for feedback on this idea? And should I just email old clients or put it on my website or...?

6 replies
costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 31 Jul 2009 , 3:57am
post #2 of 7

Thanksgiving would probably be a good time to do that, since you could bill it as a "holiday special, limited time to order before Thanksgiving" kind of thing. That would put a sense of urgency on it, and people would pay attention to the fact that you have those things to offer. I assume that you want to promote those items so that people would buy them in the future too? If you can get them to buy the cakes at Thanksgiving, it would be a good intro to them.

Kitagrl Posted 31 Jul 2009 , 4:18am
post #3 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by costumeczar

Thanksgiving would probably be a good time to do that, since you could bill it as a "holiday special, limited time to order before Thanksgiving" kind of thing. That would put a sense of urgency on it, and people would pay attention to the fact that you have those things to offer. I assume that you want to promote those items so that people would buy them in the future too? If you can get them to buy the cakes at Thanksgiving, it would be a good intro to them.

Yeah...I'm not sure if I really want to make it a regular thing though...I'm almost thinking about it as a fun thing to do a few times per year, where mostly the regular customers would be like "Oh we always get our holiday dessert from her" or something like that....

Then I have to also make sure I limit it to what my fridge can handle!!!!

minicuppie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
minicuppie Posted 31 Jul 2009 , 12:49pm
post #4 of 7

I think that is very smart marketing....altho I would never turn down a request if a customer (esp a regular) wanted something at a different time of year.

Kitagrl Posted 31 Jul 2009 , 1:02pm
post #5 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by minicuppie

I think that is very smart marketing....altho I would never turn down a request if a customer (esp a regular) wanted something at a different time of year.

Oh...no I wouldn't either.... but normally I do have minimums for decorated cakes and such so that's all I do, is custom cakes...so I thought it would be fun to do dessert cakes occasionally. Or when requested. I just don't want to turn into a dessert bakery, but would like to do it occasionally. I've had tons of compliments on a few of my dessert cakes and my cookies so I thought it would be fun to occasionally market them.

minicuppie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
minicuppie Posted 31 Jul 2009 , 4:04pm
post #6 of 7

Ditto...I offer honey wheat rolls with honey nut butter every week for Sunday dinner. They have to order early and pick up by Friday.

Kitagrl Posted 31 Jul 2009 , 4:15pm
post #7 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by minicuppie

Ditto...I offer honey wheat rolls with honey nut butter every week for Sunday dinner. They have to order early and pick up by Friday.

Oh how cool!

I'll place my order. thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%