Why Is My Frosting Slidding Down The Sides?

Decorating By Angela93 Updated 31 Jul 2009 , 8:36pm by indydebi

Angela93 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Angela93 Posted 30 Jul 2009 , 7:22pm
post #1 of 13

this is the second time this happens! after frosting my cake, i go back to viva and the frosting is suddenly much thicker on the bottom?!?! i end up trimming it with my spatchula but i'm not sure what i'm doing wrong. is my frosting too thick on the cake? or the cosistancy too thin? i used half of the wilton brand frosting mixed with betty crocker vanilla. didnt add any water. any tips or comments?

12 replies
tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 30 Jul 2009 , 8:10pm
post #2 of 13

I would suggest making your own BC, I've never had good luck with any canned or premade frosting.

Angela93 Posted 30 Jul 2009 , 11:52pm
post #3 of 13

but i've had the WORST luck with my own BC! I've tried all the top suggested recipes here on CC and they all come out grainy. i live in az and i think it has a lot to do with the lack of moisture and extreme dryness! i usually dont have this problem and one point i forgot to add is that it only happened on the side that i trimmed. it seems that the bc isnt sticking to the trimmed side that has lots of crumbs. any idea what to do???

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 31 Jul 2009 , 12:18am
post #4 of 13

Do you crumb coat and let it crust before the final coating? If not you might try that.

__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 31 Jul 2009 , 2:27am
post #5 of 13

I'm in Arizona and I make awesome SMBC and Sugarshack with no problems! SMBC=recipe in here called The Well Dressed SMBC, something like that, it's easy to find, and Sugarshacks as well, I'm sorry I can't link to it now. Go to ABC and get some Sweetex...you'll love it for this time of year!

underthesun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
underthesun Posted 31 Jul 2009 , 11:54am
post #6 of 13

Just wondering if you are refrigerating or freezing your cakes before icing. Due to humidity in fridge and lack of humidity in house, this could be causing a problem. If you are refrigerating your cakes, make sure you bring them to room temp before icing.

Angela93 Posted 31 Jul 2009 , 8:13pm
post #7 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by __Jamie__

I'm in Arizona and I make awesome SMBC and Sugarshack with no problems! SMBC=recipe in here called The Well Dressed SMBC, something like that, it's easy to find, and Sugarshacks as well, I'm sorry I can't link to it now. Go to ABC and get some Sweetex...you'll love it for this time of year!

Good to know! thanks! i almost gave up on making my own bc but i think i'll need to try using sweetex. i just hate using things that are so inconveniently availableicon_smile.gif i guess its worth it tho. what does smbc stand for?

Angela93 Posted 31 Jul 2009 , 8:15pm
post #8 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by __Jamie__

Good to know! thanks! i almost gave up on making my own bc but i think i'll need to try using sweetex. i just hate using things that are so inconveniently availableicon_smile.gif i guess its worth it tho. what does smbc stand for?

Angela93 Posted 31 Jul 2009 , 8:20pm
post #9 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by underthesun

Just wondering if you are refrigerating or freezing your cakes before icing. Due to humidity in fridge and lack of humidity in house, this could be causing a problem. If you are refrigerating your cakes, make sure you bring them to room temp before icing.

with this cake, i just wrapped it in seran wrap for about an hour or 2 before frosting. i was making a purse cake and i baked 2 11x15 cakes and cut each in half. i then stacked 2, then a board, then the other 2. then i carved a little off the corners to form a purse. i did use a crumb coat, then frosted! not sure where i went wrong.... perhaps i should have used a pound cake recipe? i just used a box of classic while with vanilla pudding mix.

Angela93 Posted 31 Jul 2009 , 8:20pm
post #10 of 13
Quote:

with this cake, i just wrapped it in seran wrap for about an hour or 2 before frosting. i was making a purse cake and i baked 2 11x15 cakes and cut each in half. i then stacked 2, then a board, then the other 2. then i carved a little off the corners to form a purse. i did use a crumb coat, then frosted! not sure where i went wrong.... perhaps i should have used a pound cake recipe? i just used a box of classic while with vanilla pudding mix.

Angela93 Posted 31 Jul 2009 , 8:21pm
post #11 of 13
Quote:

TOMAY Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TOMAY Posted 31 Jul 2009 , 8:27pm
post #12 of 13

I used to do the whole canned icing thing when you do that you need to add a ton of powdered sugar to get the correct consistancey . I recenly found that My local grocery store brand still sells shortening with transfat which is very good for icing the more transfat the smoother the icing. What brand of sugar are you using , I find that the domino boxed sugar works the best remember that powdered sugar is different from confection sugar. Make sure you are using 10x I hope this helps cause I know what gritty BC taste like until recently I brought my icing so good luck

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 31 Jul 2009 , 8:36pm
post #13 of 13

And remember, the canned grocery store icing is made for spreading ..... not really for decorating.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%