Homemade Cupcake Carriers...

Decorating By Charmed Updated 3 Aug 2009 , 1:35pm by AKA_cupcakeshoppe

Charmed Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Charmed Posted 30 Jul 2009 , 3:44pm
post #1 of 30

Any ideas on how to make one? How about a double deck one?

29 replies
Charmed Posted 31 Jul 2009 , 12:25am
post #2 of 30

icon_eek.gif

Treena Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Treena Posted 31 Jul 2009 , 2:23am
post #3 of 30

Sorry I don't have a great brainstorm answer; but I just use a cardboard box that has a lid on it. My husband brings home the ones that his office gets there reams of copy paper in. I place a towel in the bottom to prevent sliding. thumbs_up.gif

Treena Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Treena Posted 31 Jul 2009 , 2:24am
post #4 of 30

Sorry I don't have a great brainstorm answer; but I just use a cardboard box that has a lid on it. My husband brings home the ones that his office gets there reams of copy paper in. I place a towel in the bottom to prevent sliding. thumbs_up.gif

Charmed Posted 31 Jul 2009 , 2:47am
post #5 of 30

Thanks Treena thumbs_up.gif

misabel99 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
misabel99 Posted 31 Jul 2009 , 4:39am
post #6 of 30

I bought one at Homegoods store it's plastic and you can put 36 cupcakes it has 3 decks I paid $19.00 HTH

Charmed Posted 1 Aug 2009 , 4:33pm
post #7 of 30

thanks misabel thumbs_up.gif

nadine_n Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nadine_n Posted 1 Aug 2009 , 4:49pm
post #8 of 30

I saw an awesome one at my grocery store's bakery. They had a corrugated box (like cases of soda used to come in back in the day) and inside was another piece of cardboard about 1 inch up with cupcake-size holes cut into it. 24 cuppies fit, and then the whole thing was put inside one of those clear plastic cake boxes like they use.

terrylee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
terrylee Posted 1 Aug 2009 , 4:50pm
post #9 of 30

Someone on CC posted this and I tried it....worked great...took a full sheet cake board and hot glued plastic cups - it held about 3 dozen cup cakes (could hold more) and it fits into a full cake box for traveling. I Used the large red drinking cups and cut them down....and didn't cost to much.

Djor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Djor Posted 1 Aug 2009 , 4:55pm
post #10 of 30

thanks terrylee, good idea. thumbs_up.gif

saberger Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
saberger Posted 1 Aug 2009 , 5:00pm
post #11 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by terrylee

Someone on CC posted this and I tried it....worked great...took a full sheet cake board and hot glued plastic cups - it held about 3 dozen cup cakes (could hold more) and it fits into a full cake box for traveling. I Used the large red drinking cups and cut them down....and didn't cost to much.

That sounds interesting. Do you by any chance have a picture of that?

terrylee Posted 2 Aug 2009 , 1:09am
post #12 of 30

Sorry but my computer is sooooooo slow....I think I need more memory...hope these come thru....e-mail if you hve any questions.
Terry
LL

saberger Posted 2 Aug 2009 , 1:19am
post #13 of 30

THANKS Terrylee!!! Looks great! I will have to try that for sure!

djs328 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
djs328 Posted 2 Aug 2009 , 1:24am
post #14 of 30

I use the foil cake pans with clear (domed) lids (about $.75 each) and cut a piece of the rubbery shelf liner to place in the bottom (dollar store...big roll - will do many, many pans) Works like a charm! icon_smile.gif

terrylee Posted 2 Aug 2009 , 1:30am
post #15 of 30

Arn't those rubbery shelf liners the best....I use them too...I line the back of myTahoe - it keeps the cakes from moving or sliding

djs328 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
djs328 Posted 2 Aug 2009 , 2:32am
post #16 of 30
Quote:

Arn't those rubbery shelf liners the best....I use them too...I line the back of myTahoe - it keeps the cakes from moving or sliding

Yup! I do the same thing w/my SUV! icon_smile.gif I use them ALL the time...couldn't live without 'em. I have the older Wilton turntable/lazy susan for decorating and I use a piece on there also. icon_smile.gif Very cheap and useful - my fav combo! haha! thumbs_up.gif

Charmed Posted 2 Aug 2009 , 3:07am
post #17 of 30

Thank you all for your help thumbs_up.gif Love the ideas!!

saberger Posted 2 Aug 2009 , 2:32pm
post #18 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by djs328

I use the foil cake pans with clear (domed) lids (about $.75 each) and cut a piece of the rubbery shelf liner to place in the bottom (dollar store...big roll - will do many, many pans) Works like a charm! icon_smile.gif

I have tried that but the cupcakes either hit each other and smudge or fall over. But I do LOVE the shelf liner! icon_lol.gif

nicolesprinkle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nicolesprinkle Posted 2 Aug 2009 , 2:47pm
post #19 of 30

Terrylee that is great! How do you get the decorated cupcakes in and out without messing them up?

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 2 Aug 2009 , 2:55pm
post #20 of 30

Those red cups is a GREAT GREAT GREAT GREA idea! WOW! very innovative!

terrylee Posted 2 Aug 2009 , 4:05pm
post #21 of 30

I cut the cups down to just below the icing line of the cup cake. You only need an inch, inch and a quarter cup to hold the cupcake. Didn't have any trouble - but gently lifting them out.

Glad I could help....someone on CC posted the idea a ways back...sorry don't know who.....but thank you to you too from me....it was so helpful when I had 200 cup cakes to transfer. They traveled well in their places , inside large cake boxes....

gingersoave Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gingersoave Posted 2 Aug 2009 , 4:18pm
post #22 of 30

On a certain day of the week our local Food Lion gets their cupcakes in and they repackage them into their clear plastic container to sell. I go to the Food Lion (can't remember the day of the week) and they save the boxes that the cupcakes come in. Its a small box, almost like a box lid and it has 24 of the cupcake cut outs about an inch tall to set the cupcakes in. Never any leftover icing on the cardboards so its sanitary to reuse. So maybe try your local grocer and see if they can keep the boxes with the cupcake holders in them, they just throw them away.

LOVE the red cup idea!!!!

AKA_cupcakeshoppe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AKA_cupcakeshoppe Posted 2 Aug 2009 , 4:51pm
post #23 of 30
Quote:

glad it worked for you. here's my thread about that DIY ghetto fab cupcake carrier hehe http://forum.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-586286.html

terrylee Posted 2 Aug 2009 , 5:06pm
post #24 of 30

AKA_cupcakeshoppe - THANKS so much.....I couldn't remember the name you called it....all I could think of was Redneck cake carrier.. (I'm a redneck at heart)........ghetto fab cupcake carrier....so funny - but it works great.....Thanks again....Terry

msulli10 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
msulli10 Posted 2 Aug 2009 , 5:20pm
post #25 of 30

I use the lids from the boxes of computer paper cartons. I spread mini marshmallows all around and the prevent the cuppies from sliding. Depending on the size of the cupcakes, they can hold up to 12. It worked great. Nothing got smooshed! And everyone liked the look of the marshmallows that they displayed them with the cupcakes (and couldn't stop eating them as well). I have a picture on my photos.

terrylee Posted 2 Aug 2009 , 6:08pm
post #26 of 30

Great idea msulli10 - two for the price of one. and by the way your cupcakes are fantastic.....

Launa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Launa Posted 2 Aug 2009 , 6:28pm
post #27 of 30

I went to Sam's and purchased a pack of 50 cupcake inserts for $14. They have the little tabs in the middle that I fold down for support, plus the sides fold down and that keeps it up off of the box. These fit perfectly into a large Wilton cake box and hold 30 cupcakes. I also put a 13 x 19 cake board underneath for extra support since the box is rather flimsy. Total cost....$2.25....maybe. In my photos, look for the Christmas tree cuppies if you want to take a look.

cutthecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cutthecake Posted 3 Aug 2009 , 12:05am
post #28 of 30

There's a paper goods and party supply store near here, and they sell little plastic "condiment cups" in bulk. They're slightly shorter than cupcake papers and would probably be perfect for this idea. I don't even think they'd need to be cut down.

misserica Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
misserica Posted 3 Aug 2009 , 12:30am
post #29 of 30

These are such great ideas...msulli I love the mini marshmallow idea!!! I could have used that this weekend transporting 120 mini cupcakes.

AKA_cupcakeshoppe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AKA_cupcakeshoppe Posted 3 Aug 2009 , 1:35pm
post #30 of 30

marshmallows and cupcakes. nothing can be better. icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%