First Time Making Fondant

Baking By cakemomof3 Updated 30 Jul 2009 , 9:27pm by Texas_Rose

cakemomof3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakemomof3 Posted 30 Jul 2009 , 1:32pm
post #1 of 8

I am going to try to make fondant. This will be my very first time making fondant. I would like to know what is the easiest recipe to start off with. I want something that is east to make that taste good.

TIA

7 replies
ninatat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ninatat Posted 30 Jul 2009 , 2:40pm
post #2 of 8

I use marshmallow fondant and love it and really inexpensive, 1 bag con sugar, 1 regular bag minature marshmallows, if you use the large bag it doesn't work out weight wise, 2 or 3 teaspoons water, put water and mm's in plastic bowl and micro at 30 second intervals, stir until all are melted, be sure and grease up your hands, and surface, i just do my mixing in the bowl, put in about 1/2 bag con. mix then the other, you have to twist, pull, and squeeze to mix well and will probably need more crisco on your hands, i flatten mine out rub with crisco and wrap in plastic wrap, i use gel to color start with a little, pull, twist, to mix. if you put it in the fridge, you can warm in micro but be careful i do it in smaller amounts, i've never had a problem with this recipe, also use crisco when working with it if you need to. hope you like this one good luck

cakemomof3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakemomof3 Posted 30 Jul 2009 , 4:02pm
post #3 of 8

What size bag of confectionsers sugar? Thank you for posting.

dadawley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dadawley Posted 30 Jul 2009 , 5:45pm
post #4 of 8

I too use MMF, recipe found on CC. It takes the large 2lb bag of sifted powdered sugar, but don't use it all, it is kind of by feel, if it is sticky you need to add more sugar. I never have to use the entire bag of sugar. HTH!

tastyart Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tastyart Posted 30 Jul 2009 , 6:53pm
post #5 of 8

I use Michelle Fosters recipe here in CC. You have to make it up at least a day in advance. It freezed fantastically. Very easy to work with.

kokopuff Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kokopuff Posted 30 Jul 2009 , 7:41pm
post #6 of 8

Michelle Fosters mmf is good but if you don't have a stand mixer you can try Rhonda's Ultimate mmf it's good too.I tried a few different versions of mmf before I finally decided which one I liked best.For me plain mmf was too sweet,I had to dirty up my mixer with Michelle's,which I hate cleaning and Rhonda's you have to add a few more ingredients for toning down the sweet,which I found I like best.They are all pretty simple to make and cheaper than buying it premade so I would just suggest try a few and see which works best for you too!Happy caking icon_biggrin.gif

ninatat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ninatat Posted 30 Jul 2009 , 9:14pm
post #7 of 8

a 1 lb bag of con sugar

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 30 Jul 2009 , 9:27pm
post #8 of 8

I just use the really basic recipe http://whatscookingamerica.net/PegW/Fondant.htm

The only thing that I do differently is to add a bit of flavor...clear vanilla extract, lorann oils, etc...

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%