post #1 of 14

on Food Network -- right now!

4-tier w/ fondant.

pretty ---

but...

oops --

sweating in the heat

sagging

and he didn't put in the wooden "stilts" (dowels) for support.

13 replies
__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 30 Jul 2009 , 2:55am
post #2 of 14

OMG. No "stilts"?!??! That's because he consulted with Sandra Lee first! icon_biggrin.gif

Which reminds me. Bobby Flay and his show "Throwdown". Anyone notice when his show starts that the folder flips thru various challenges, and a wedding cake is one of them? Has he ever done a wedding cake throwdown? I'm dying to see it!

Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 30 Jul 2009 , 12:49pm
post #3 of 14

I was watching this too. Did you see how much wine syrup he poured on those layers?

I'm not a fan of syrups anyway, how does that not make the cake wet? Especially the amount he used......I mean if people think "wet" cake is "moist" cake, they need to rethink that thought. icon_rolleyes.gif Just make moist cake!

He didn't fill the tiers either...I guess that was a time issue.

Did they not have refrigerators available to them? I missed the first part of the episode.

RachieRach Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RachieRach Posted 30 Jul 2009 , 1:19pm
post #4 of 14

Bobby Flay did do a wedding cake once. I'm pretty sure he didn't win but I think his cake tasted better (according to the judges). This was a couple of years ago. I didn't know the woman he competed against and I don't think I've seen her since but she does cakes in nyc. Her cakes were beautiful.

Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 30 Jul 2009 , 1:29pm
post #5 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkelly

I was watching this too. Did you see how much wine syrup he poured on those layers?

I'm not a fan of syrups anyway, how does that not make the cake wet? Especially the amount he used......I mean if people think "wet" cake is "moist" cake, they need to rethink that thought. icon_rolleyes.gif Just make moist cake!

He didn't fill the tiers either...I guess that was a time issue.

Did they not have refrigerators available to them? I missed the first part of the episode.

little detail I noticed ----

did you see how when the girl was presented and then did her dances that the cake had been removed from the display table?? I bet it was "melting" and they whisked it off to the refrigerators in the kitchen.

At the end it looked like is was bulging quite a bit.

At start of episode he flat out said he did bake -- and they gave him a recipe for their favorite cake -- in Spanish.

It was fun to watch him involve the younger sister in the making of it (I think she knew more than he did)

and it was great to hear him say I'm moving it and no one else would be touching it after all the work he put into it -- hmmm somebody else has new respect for the cake people!

Doug Posted 30 Jul 2009 , 1:32pm
post #6 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by RachieRach

Bobby Flay did do a wedding cake once. I'm pretty sure he didn't win but I think his cake tasted better (according to the judges). This was a couple of years ago. I didn't know the woman he competed against and I don't think I've seen her since but she does cakes in nyc. Her cakes were beautiful.

about this throwdown from Food Network:

http://www.foodnetwork.com/throwdown-with-bobby-flay/wedding-cake/index.html

as I recall, he lost - but did come away with new respect for what pastry artists do.

__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 30 Jul 2009 , 4:00pm
post #7 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug

Quote:
Originally Posted by RachieRach

about this throwdown from Food Network:

http://www.foodnetwork.com/throwdown-with-bobby-flay/wedding-cake/index.html

as I recall, he lost - but did come away with new respect for what pastry artists do.

Oh thanks Doug!

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 30 Jul 2009 , 4:27pm
post #8 of 14

I saw this same episode this past weekend...he was okay but definetly not a cake decorater...Did you know that Food Network fired him as he supposedly falsified his credentials.....saying all the places he worked as a chef etc..I read that somewhere.Too bad really....

mandymomof3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mandymomof3 Posted 30 Jul 2009 , 4:34pm
post #9 of 14

Which one did they fire? Robert or Bobby?

Kiddiekakes Posted 30 Jul 2009 , 4:39pm
post #10 of 14

They fired Robert Irvine....

Kimmers971 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kimmers971 Posted 30 Jul 2009 , 4:44pm
post #11 of 14

They fired him then brought him back, he's doing the new Dinner Impossible episodes. Guess Michael Symon wasn't a good enough replacement?

Kiddiekakes Posted 30 Jul 2009 , 4:56pm
post #12 of 14

Oh Really...I liked him better anyway!!

Doug Posted 30 Jul 2009 , 5:00pm
post #13 of 14

Yep, he cleaned up his act and they brought him back.

he's so fun to watch get in a dither and then pull it all together

first page of his official blog, scroll down to first entry -
http://www.chefrobertirvineblog.com/index.php/2008/w28/

for even more -- the google results
http://www.google.com/search?q=robert+irvine+dinner+impossible&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-USicon_surprised.giffficial&client=firefox-a

jonahsmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jonahsmom Posted 30 Jul 2009 , 9:17pm
post #14 of 14

I was watching this in my hospital room last night and I was like HE DIDN'T USE ANY SUPPORT?! HE'S CRAZY!!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%