Who Has A Good Sponge Cake Recipe?

Baking By amyfj1 Updated 28 Sep 2010 , 8:43am by JanH

amyfj1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amyfj1 Posted 29 Jul 2009 , 9:23pm
post #1 of 8

I want to try a sponge cake like Buddy does on Cake Boss but not sure which recipe to use. Does anyone use sponge cakes on a regular basis? Can you handle your sponge cake the way Buddy does? He seems to be really rough when handling them. I'm always afraid of toring anything larger than a 9x13 so I usually bake 2 cakes with just one layer of filling. I would really like to use sponges if they tort easier. Any help will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks for all your help!

7 replies
majka_ze Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
majka_ze Posted 31 Jul 2009 , 3:13pm
post #2 of 8

I use sponge cake almost exclusively for my family. It is not as delicate as some say, but it has its quirks.

Some tips for torting:

Don't use cake leverer (the wilton type, I mean). Use either fine serrated knife - the micro serrated knife works best, don't use cheap bread knife with "big teeth" - or use the knife to cut around your cake, 1/4 inch deep only and cut with a floss - take a length of doubled white thread around your cake, cross the ends and pull - the floss cuts the cake. This works best for round cakes.

After you cut the layer, slip cake board or cookie sheet between the layers to lift the top layer of.

When cutting with a knife or making 3D cakes (you can use sponge cake for this as well, up to certain size), let the cake for an hour in freezer. It cuts easier.

Here (Czech republic) is sponge cake a classic. When you order a cake and don't say anything else, you get sponge cake. Some bakers feel it is easier to bake 1/2 layers instead of cutting the cake. I personally bake "full height" and cut 4 layers.

For the texture of the cake: It is difficult to give advice, because the flour is here very different from US. Generally, even if you use cake flour, give per cup one tablespoon flour less and one tablespoon of potato or corn starch instead - both work very similar. You get finer but somewhat firmer and more forgiving consistency of your cake. Try it beforehand, bake a small cake for your family or friends.

Let me know if you need more help.

brincess_b Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brincess_b Posted 31 Jul 2009 , 9:19pm
post #3 of 8

i love a victoria sponge http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/database/victoriaspongewithst_90309.shtml
pound cakes and maderia cakes are pretty sturdy too.
xx

amyfj1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amyfj1 Posted 1 Aug 2009 , 4:52pm
post #4 of 8

Thanks so much for the video. I definitely want to try the Victoria sponge cake.

madgeowens Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
madgeowens Posted 14 Dec 2009 , 6:48am
post #5 of 8

what the heck is a "knob of butter"?

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
roakes1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
roakes1 Posted 28 Sep 2010 , 8:20am
post #7 of 8

I was hoping to find a good firm sponge cake recipe I can cook in a pan other than a bunt, think I might find some help here?

Quote:
Originally Posted by majka_ze

I use sponge cake almost exclusively for my family. It is not as delicate as some say, but it has its quirks.

Some tips for torting:

Don't use cake leverer (the wilton type, I mean). Use either fine serrated knife - the micro serrated knife works best, don't use cheap bread knife with "big teeth" - or use the knife to cut around your cake, 1/4 inch deep only and cut with a floss - take a length of doubled white thread around your cake, cross the ends and pull - the floss cuts the cake. This works best for round cakes.

After you cut the layer, slip cake board or cookie sheet between the layers to lift the top layer of.

When cutting with a knife or making 3D cakes (you can use sponge cake for this as well, up to certain size), let the cake for an hour in freezer. It cuts easier.

Here (Czech republic) is sponge cake a classic. When you order a cake and don't say anything else, you get sponge cake. Some bakers feel it is easier to bake 1/2 layers instead of cutting the cake. I personally bake "full height" and cut 4 layers.

For the texture of the cake: It is difficult to give advice, because the flour is here very different from US. Generally, even if you use cake flour, give per cup one tablespoon flour less and one tablespoon of potato or corn starch instead - both work very similar. You get finer but somewhat firmer and more forgiving consistency of your cake. Try it beforehand, bake a small cake for your family or friends.

Let me know if you need more help.

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 28 Sep 2010 , 8:43am
post #8 of 8

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%