Mixing Two Fondant Recipes? Bubbles In Fondant. :(

Decorating By JCE62108 Updated 23 Aug 2009 , 1:12am by linedancer

JCE62108 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JCE62108 Posted 29 Jul 2009 , 1:45pm
post #1 of 17

Ok well, with all my trouble with MMF I want to give up badly, but the taste of it is what keeps me trying. Ive made this stuff maybe 10 or 12 times and Ive never had a perfect batch. There has always been some kind of problems.

NOW, however, I have been able to get ride of most of the serious problems. My big problem now is air bubbles. I made 3 batches of MMF for a baby shower cake and they all had horrible bubbles. Ill post a photo in a sec. Before that, the fondant was so stretchy that it tore off the cake and I had to take it off and just whip up more BC and scratch the fondant idea.

SOooo I was wondering is it possible to make two different batches of fondant and mix them together to maybe help with some of the unreliability of the MMF? I hear Michelle Fosters fondant is good and reliable, so I was wondering if mixing MMF for the taste and Michelle Fosters fondant for the reliability would give me a fondant that was some where in between that would be easier to work with.

What do you think?

OR if you can tell me why my MMF keeps getting horrible bubbles so I can now fix THAT problem that would be very helpful as well. I have a fondant cake for a paying customer that is NOT a friend this time. First time making fondant for a cake that is not a friend, so Im nervous. icon_sad.gif

Help?

EDIT: I guess my photos didnt post? Ill try it again, if it double posts I appologize. icon_smile.gif Ok I dont think its working Maybe Ill try photobucket.

16 replies
JCE62108 Posted 29 Jul 2009 , 2:26pm
post #2 of 17

singinglark Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
singinglark Posted 29 Jul 2009 , 6:26pm
post #3 of 17

I'm not sure about mixing the recipes, but I have the same issues with MMF and am interested in the replies! I have a wedding cake due Saturday and the bride requested MMF...I am nervous about the texture she will get with that. Good luck!

singinglark Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
singinglark Posted 29 Jul 2009 , 6:28pm
post #4 of 17

I'm not sure about mixing the recipes, but I have the same issues with MMF and am interested in the replies! I have a wedding cake due Saturday and the bride requested MMF...I am nervous about the texture she will get with that. Good luck!

sweetcakesbydesign Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetcakesbydesign Posted 30 Jul 2009 , 5:34am
post #5 of 17

Are you sifting your Powdered sugar? that might be causing the lumps.
I just made my first batch of this recipe and LOVE it:

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-7529-Ts-Marshmallow-fondant.html

HTH

JCE62108 Posted 30 Jul 2009 , 4:06pm
post #6 of 17

Im not getting lumps, its bubbles. Lots of bubbles. It sounds like bubble wrap popping when I squeeze it. Very not cool. I do sift my sugar, always. I learned that through experience as well. Screwing up is a valuable way to learn. lol.

Im anxiously awaiting replies. icon_smile.gif

JCE62108 Posted 30 Jul 2009 , 4:16pm
post #7 of 17

You know I think a lot of my problem with MMF is that in my area I can only find 10oz bags, and every recipe calls for 16oz. I think the measurements have to be so precise in order to get a consistent and useable product. I didnt realize this could be a problem until recently. Silly me. So Ive tried to adjust the recipe a bit to work with a 10oz bag. The last time I did it, I used two 10 oz bags per batch, I greased my bowl, added 1 tbsp lemon juice, 1 tbsp water, 1 tbsp corn syrup, 1 tsp vanilla, and 1/2 tsp princess emulsion (Im sure you can tell I was going by rhondas ultimate MMF recipe, although a little modified). I didnt use as much liquid that it calls for in her recipe because it seems like I have problems if I do. But then again, in the description it says my melted marshmallows should be soupy, and it never is. Its thick and melted, but not soupy.

I have a feeling Im just struggling with trying to make a recipe work when Im not able to measure things out exactly. Like I guess I could try using a bag and a half of MM next time, or a little more than a bag and a half. But I worry about all the water because its so humid here in FL.

Im so frustrated. Sorry guys. Is there any floridians out there who have got this down? Where do you get a 16 oz bag here? Arrghh. icon_sad.gif Ill get it guys, I swear I will. MMF keeps kicking my butt but Im still trying to fight it. icon_razz.gif

momba5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
momba5 Posted 31 Jul 2009 , 4:40am
post #8 of 17

ok- this is the first time I have made suggestions on how to do something, because I'm usually the one asking for advice. My suggestion is to keep adding pd. sugar. I have not found that MMF needs precise measuring. I almost always use more than 2 lbs pd. sugar with a 16 oz. bag of marshmallows (from wallmart). Then I keep kneading it and kneading it....sometimes for 20 minutes or more, adding more pd. sugar until it is not sticky. I am wondering if the bubbles are from the blue food coloring. I assume you had to use alot to get it that blue. Did you mix the color into the melted marshmallows mixture before adding the ps?? I have never colored mmf so I'm not sure about that, but from the looks of the fondant, it needs more ps.

JCE62108 Posted 9 Aug 2009 , 12:11am
post #9 of 17

Thanks for your suggestions. I tried things a little different for the last cake I did, (the drunken pig, in another post). The fondant had bubbles in it again, though not near as bad. I added more PS and it seemed to have helped. I also found the 16 oz bags of MM. I used the store brand this time instead of the jet puffed, so I dont think that brand has much to do with it. Im going to try walmart brand if they have the 16 oz bags. Im not going to try playing guessing games with the wrong sized bags anymore now that I know I can get the correct size in my area.

I am still hoping someone out there has tried mixing two different fondants together. I could really use your help if you have. I have a fondant cake due saturday and the customer is totally picky and really going nuts over the details of this cake. She is the type of person who WILL notice the flaws, so I really need to get this figured out. She wants the fondant to taste good but I need reliability. She's very, very nice...just very picky. lol.

THanks guys.

Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 9 Aug 2009 , 12:16am
post #10 of 17

how are you kneading it?

could that be the source of the trapped air?

JCE62108 Posted 9 Aug 2009 , 12:24am
post #11 of 17

well....I dont know how to expain how I knead it. Maybe I can get a video sometime. I watched a youtube video on making MMF and the way I knead it looked just like how the lady in the video was doing it. I dont know how I could knead it any other way besides what Ive been doing. I mean, you have to mix everything in there really good. And if you are mixing in color you have to knead it even more. I dont know how to do it without folding it. I mean, how would you mix everything?

Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 9 Aug 2009 , 12:30am
post #12 of 17

for color, if making at home, and need one big batch of a given color -- add the color to the liquids at the start, before adding the PS

---

I need by rolling out into about a 2 foot long log.

fold log back on itself in thirds

twist it up like a rope.

and repeat that over and over until smooth adding PS or veg. shortening as needed to get the right consistency.

could it be you are OVER stirring it at start and introducing masses of bubbles to the liquid and melted marshmallows?

----

I've really only had problems with really big bubbles that were easy to pop and make go away in the earliest stages of making MMF. so not sure either what's giving you the bunches of bubbles.

JCE62108 Posted 9 Aug 2009 , 12:48am
post #13 of 17

Im trying to upload a video but its going slooooow. Ill post it when its done. : /

JCE62108 Posted 9 Aug 2009 , 12:49am
post #14 of 17

Ok this is how I always mix my fondant. I do fold it quite a bit. I hope you can see something from this video.

Tika35 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tika35 Posted 9 Aug 2009 , 12:53am
post #15 of 17

I recently encountered the same problem so I posted a question and got back a few good tips. A lot of people were telling me to try the MFF but I had quite a few ingredients left for MMF, so like someone suggested adding more PS. I kept adding the PS and kneading until I got the stiffness I wanted. I also rolled it a little thicker, 3/16" to cover the cake. Another tip is to spread a little Crisco onto your mat and don't apply too much preasure. I made my daughter's B-day Cake with it and it was wonderful!

brian1974 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brian1974 Posted 22 Aug 2009 , 3:40pm
post #16 of 17

i have only made 2 batches of mmf using exactly the same recipie,
same products etc.
I used blue wilton food coloring in both.
My first batch came out perfect.
My second batch had the tiny air bubles.

What was the difference?

the first batch was done completley by hand mixing the powdered sugar in slowly into the glass mixing bowel that i melted the marshmallows in.
Then once it was stiff enough , greased worksurface with hi rat shortning and then kneading it and adding rest of powedered sugar.
It made an almighty mess , but came out great.

The second time i did it i got lazy and threw it in my mixer. put 5 cups of powdered sugar in greased mixer bowl plus vanilla, lemon juice, etc, then poured int he melted mm. mixed it on stir speed. added more sugar.
mixed more. took out and kneaded it etc.
This batch had the holes.
The mixer seemed to overmix it and create the holes i think.

linedancer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
linedancer Posted 23 Aug 2009 , 1:12am
post #17 of 17

I just tried MFF for the first time. I may be a little weird, but I did not care for the taste or the mouth feel. I did however like the texture and pliability. Since I did not know how the MFF would turn out, I also made my old stand by, Rhonda's Ultimate MMF.

I used some of the MFF for details (I was making daisy cookies, so used it for the centers and leaves)..then I said to myself, "self why don't you mix those two fondants 50/50 and see how that works. For me, it was the best of both worlds, the taste and mouth feel of MMF with the great handling qualities of MFF. So try mixing them and see if you like it.

BTW, when I make my MMF I follow the recipe and weigh out 15 oz. of the mini marshmallows. I do not grease anything, melt the mm and water in a big glass bowl in three increments, 40, 40, and 30 seconds, stirring each time.

Add the lemon juice, corn syrup, and flavorings, no salt, and stir again. I sift about 1/3 of the conf sugar on top and stir with a spoon, sift and add another third and again stir with a spoon. Sift and add the last third, grease your hands really well and start to knead. I knead right in the bowl, very seldom make much of a mess, no counter to clean up. Lay your fondant on a foam plate, fill your bowl up with very hot water and soap. By the time you grease and wrap your fondant, the bowl cleans up with little effort. It works great and I do not have those little bubbles.

Sorry for the book, HTH

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%