Need Ideas For A Gift For A Beginner Cake Maker

Decorating By smokey22 Updated 30 Jul 2009 , 4:30am by VeronicaLuis

smokey22 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
smokey22 Posted 29 Jul 2009 , 12:35pm
post #1 of 26

I would like to buy a gift for my wife's cousin. She has made, out of her pocket, a cake for both of my daughters birthdays. I would say she is a beginner or novice but seems to really like making cakes. I was thinking some tools or pans. Any ideas or any good websites to buy from. Thanks for any help.

25 replies
brincess_b Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brincess_b Posted 29 Jul 2009 , 1:01pm
post #2 of 26

if you have a local cake shop, id get vouchers for there - even if your supermarket stocks a lot of wilton stuff, vouchers for there wth a little card saying 'strictly for cake goodies!'.
actually buying stuff for her, when you dont know what she has/ wants is a bit tricky. maybe ask her, and agree to get something of the list as a semi-sureprise thank you.
xx

nadine_n Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nadine_n Posted 29 Jul 2009 , 1:21pm
post #3 of 26

If you don't have a cake store, you could get her a gift certificate for a local craft store - AC Moore, Michaels, Hobby Lobby, etc. As a novice, I'm sure they have tons of things that she doesn't have and would want.

Molly2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Molly2 Posted 29 Jul 2009 , 2:13pm
post #4 of 26

I agree a gift certificate would be great then she can pick out what she wants are needs

Molly

Mel1965 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mel1965 Posted 29 Jul 2009 , 2:15pm
post #5 of 26

Yes, it is hard to know what to get when you don't know what she already has suppy-wise, however, that said....

I would welcome any basic supplies, like icing colors, extra icing bags, extra tips (you can never have too many duplicate tips!), meringue powder, spatulas, foil for cake boards, etc. I like to have plenty of basic stuff on hand so I'm not running back and forth to the store all the time!

And, as others previously posted, you can never go wrong the the gift certificate. How about a copy of the new Wiltion 2010 yearbook?

mandysue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mandysue Posted 29 Jul 2009 , 2:18pm
post #6 of 26

If you don't want to get a gift certficate, there are a few things that everyone needs all the time...

*Disposable decorating bags
*Wilton Cake Release
*Good clear vanilla
*Waxed Paper, Tinfoil and Plastic Wrap

I don't know how much you were planning on spending, but I would adore a little basket with some of the above essentials along with a gift certificate to a local Michael's or Hobby Lobby where I could treat myself to an investment in my cake hobby. Also, make sure she knows that by signing up on either Michael's or Hobby Lobby's websites, you will regularly get coupons for 40-50% off. That makes a set of pans pretty cheap!

Oh, another idea...if you're sure she doesn't already have one, you could get her a decorator's caddy....looks like a tool box. You can buy them with or without supplies included. Bigger is better, but price is a consideration. Again, be sure to take along a coupon and get it for 1/2 price!

Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 29 Jul 2009 , 2:18pm
post #7 of 26

gift certificate to Barnes & Nobles or Borders -- with restriction: for CAKE decorating books only!!!

or just get books -- such as those by Debbie Brown, Collette Peters, and Toba Garrett.

Do Mike McCarey or SugarShack offer gift certificates for their DVDs?

Mel1965 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mel1965 Posted 29 Jul 2009 , 2:20pm
post #8 of 26

Oh, I thought of some other basic things.....cake boards, cake pan release, and for me, this is essential....a baby bottle drying rack for drying icing bags after you've washed them! Unless she uses disposable bags....that's another good "staple" to have on hand, too.

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 29 Jul 2009 , 2:24pm
post #9 of 26

Since (from the picture) she's doing fondant, a good rolling pin (I love my Sil-pin) and some luster dusts would be a great gift, if you don't want to get her a gift certificate.

pouchet82 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pouchet82 Posted 29 Jul 2009 , 2:41pm
post #10 of 26

I would have to agree with Doug, I think that book as a great idea
If not, maybe some food coloring, lorann flavors, lustre dusts, fondant cutters, bake even strips!!!
I love my bake even strips, just used them for the first time last night
Oooh and you can get her the Wilton leveler too!

Kay_NL Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kay_NL Posted 29 Jul 2009 , 2:57pm
post #11 of 26

I agree with others that a goodie basket containing color gels, metal cutters (cookie or fondant), lustre dusts, maybe some gum paste, would be an awesome gift for me! Another thing that I love but haven't purchased is an impression mat. I love them, but haven't needed them yet so keep putting it off!

Books and/or gift certificates are also great ideas!! I really like the Debbie Brown book, and there are several good books full of techniques from Wilton, as well as the Wilton Year Book!!

I would never buy somebody the Wilton leveler, although I would gladly give somebody mine and maybe even pay them to take it. lol!

pouchet82 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pouchet82 Posted 29 Jul 2009 , 3:06pm
post #12 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kay_NL

I would never buy somebody the Wilton leveler, although I would gladly give somebody mine and maybe even pay them to take it. lol!

I respectfully disagree with that. I have the smaller one, and it is much easier than using a knife. I think for a beginner it does the job until you can afford something bigger/better. I know a lot of people have had trouble with theirs, but mine hasn't been a problem at all

Kay_NL Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kay_NL Posted 29 Jul 2009 , 3:15pm
post #13 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by pouchet82

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kay_NL

I respectfully disagree with that. I have the smaller one, and it is much easier than using a knife. I think for a beginner it does the job until you can afford something bigger/better. I know a lot of people have had trouble with theirs, but mine hasn't been a problem at all

Ahhh, I've heard that the smaller Wilton one works a lot better than their large one! icon_smile.gif Just goes to show that bigger and more expensive is not always better! icon_biggrin.gif

divaessence Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
divaessence Posted 29 Jul 2009 , 3:35pm
post #14 of 26

Everyone has their own opinion, but my husband bought me the large Wilton leveler and it has been great!

I agree the gift cards/certificates are WONDERFUL!!! Those are all I have been asking for gifts since I started cake decorating back in the fall. There is always a new tool to explore ... or something that you run out of! Those things are indispensable ... and your wife's cousin can get just what she wants/needs.

But the Wilton Yearbook would be great, too (or any of the Wilton publications - i.e. the Tiered cake book, etc.).

Whatever you end up getting I'm sure will be greatly appreciated! Kudos to you for being so thoughtful! thumbs_up.gif

Win Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Win Posted 29 Jul 2009 , 3:45pm
post #15 of 26

Books and gift certificates are awesome! Global Sugar Art has gift certificates and they are an incredible web site from which to shop. It's easy to buy the gift certificate off their site as well.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 29 Jul 2009 , 3:56pm
post #16 of 26

.........Oooh and ....... the Wilton leveler too!........
.........I would never buy somebody the Wilton leveler.........
.........I respectfully disagree with that. I have the smaller one, and it is much easier than using a knife...........

Interesting how what works for one person is hated by othersicon_smile.gif I would NEVER spend even one cent on the *large* Wilton leveler but for years used the small one. It is indeed a great gift option for a beginning decorator.
The other suggestions already given are wonderful. I am a book person so I'd love, love, love even one yearbook (value: $10-12?) or Debbie Brown book.

smokey22 Posted 29 Jul 2009 , 4:50pm
post #17 of 26

I really really appreciate all of the ideas!!!! I did the Michaels thing and got the coupon and might use that for a gift basket built in a pan. Or take the easy way out and get the gift certificate.

Thanks again for the ideas. thumbs_up.gif

Cheyanne25 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cheyanne25 Posted 29 Jul 2009 , 6:24pm
post #18 of 26

I know you've already purchased her gift, but I'd like to add. The best thing you could do for her as a beginer decorator is to tell her to come to cakecentral.com and sign up!

JaimeAnn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JaimeAnn Posted 29 Jul 2009 , 7:11pm
post #19 of 26

Since you said you went to Micheal's , maybe you could see if they offer Wilton Classes at your location . If she hasn't already taken any they are a great place to start for learning basic techniques .

You could get her the class kit with the coupon and they are offering an august discount on the class.

It is a great place to learn & start for a beginner. I even took the classes when I had already been decorating for years!

CakeandDazzle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeandDazzle Posted 29 Jul 2009 , 7:18pm
post #20 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheyanne25

I know you've already purchased her gift, but I'd like to add. The best thing you could do for her as a beginer decorator is to tell her to come to cakecentral.com and sign up!

Misdawn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Misdawn Posted 29 Jul 2009 , 7:58pm
post #21 of 26

What about a turntable? I would KILL for a good large turntable! And i've been decorating for a few yrs now...STILL haven;t got one!

CakeandDazzle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeandDazzle Posted 29 Jul 2009 , 8:05pm
post #22 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Misdawn

What about a turntable? I would KILL for a good large turntable! And i've been decorating for a few yrs now...STILL haven;t got one!

ck has a really nice one that is really really cheap! like $11 its not amazing but its wayyyy better then wilton!

smokey22 Posted 29 Jul 2009 , 8:14pm
post #23 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaimeAnn

Since you said you went to Micheal's , maybe you could see if they offer Wilton Classes at your location . If she hasn't already taken any they are a great place to start for learning basic techniques .

You could get her the class kit with the coupon and they are offering an august discount on the class.

It is a great place to learn & start for a beginner. I even took the classes when I had already been decorating for years!

Well I haven't been to Micheal's yet, but when I do go I'll check for information about the classes. Thanks

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 30 Jul 2009 , 12:09am
post #24 of 26

I think classes or books is a great gift!!!!

And I have the large Wilton leveler and it works for me, although most often I just use a serrated knife.

loulou2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
loulou2 Posted 30 Jul 2009 , 2:20am
post #25 of 26

Maybe she would like to take the classes at Hobby Lobby or somewhere & you could offer to babysit her kids so she can go!
Gift certificates are great because you don'ft always know what someone already has.

VeronicaLuis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
VeronicaLuis Posted 30 Jul 2009 , 4:30am
post #26 of 26

I received a Wilton Cake Decorating Master Tip Set - 56 PC. All the tips come in a box for safe keeping and a wonderful book to go with it is Wilton - The uses of the most popuplar decorating tips.
Perfect for decorating with cream type icing.
I was simply speechles with my gift and look forward to every occasion that I get to pull them out and use them.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%