Is This Weird?

Decorating By ThreeDGirlie Updated 29 Jul 2009 , 6:32pm by 7yyrt

ThreeDGirlie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ThreeDGirlie Posted 29 Jul 2009 , 12:30pm
post #1 of 10

A guy my husband works with wants a cake for his wifes 50th birthday. Shes kind of sensitive about turning 50, so he doesnt want anything over the hill or anything. But something classic and elegant. Her favorite flowers are tulips and roses.

She collects crosses, so he wants a cake in the shape of a cross with scrollwork and a pile of flowers in the center. Does this scream funeral to anyone else? To me, this almost seems like an underhanded over the hill thing Just wondering what other people think before I tell him that maybe a cross cake isnt such a good idea.

My other thought was to do a gift box with the lid half off and a fondant or chocolate cross inside, like hes giving her something for her collection, KWIM?

9 replies
BeeBoos-8599_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BeeBoos-8599_ Posted 29 Jul 2009 , 1:13pm
post #2 of 10

I like the idea of the gift box. I dont think the cross shaped cake is the way to go. Is she catholic? If so you could do a rosary on the cake.

KitchenKat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KitchenKat Posted 29 Jul 2009 , 1:30pm
post #3 of 10

It's beyond weird it's morbid!

I would explain how cross cakes are usually for religious occasions or funerals and you're concerned it send the wrong message to make one as a birthday cake. Then give suggestions. I like your giftbox idea. Let us know how it goes

jardot22 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jardot22 Posted 29 Jul 2009 , 2:10pm
post #4 of 10

Definitely screams funeral to me LOL. I think the gift box idea is perfect. I would definitely suggest that to him.

jammjenks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jammjenks Posted 29 Jul 2009 , 2:14pm
post #5 of 10

I can't decide if it says "funeral" or "baby's christening" to me. Either way, not the idea he's looking for. I like the gift box idea too. Maybe use the flowers to decorate it somehow too.

LaBellaFlor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaBellaFlor Posted 29 Jul 2009 , 3:19pm
post #6 of 10

LOL. If he doesn't want her to think too old then I wonder how she'll take a funeral cake, cause thats what I think of too. Pitch him some of your ideas, they sound good. I'm sure he'll like them much better.

7yyrt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
7yyrt Posted 29 Jul 2009 , 3:21pm
post #7 of 10

This is roses and peonies, with a beautiful cross... It screams wedding and romance to me, a nice thing for a husband to give a wife on her 50th.
The large size picture.
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_08kHzN1800I/SbUvY9sziOI/AAAAAAAAA-o/SkejbFk1OD8/s1600/CM_006.jpg

LaBellaFlor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaBellaFlor Posted 29 Jul 2009 , 3:26pm
post #8 of 10

Not that looks pretty, but a big cross cake with a pile of flowers in the center, that looks like funeral arrangement. You also got to see if their Catholic, she may not want a rosary.

ThreeDGirlie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ThreeDGirlie Posted 29 Jul 2009 , 5:29pm
post #9 of 10

They are Baptist, so no rosaries... I am glad to hear other people think a cross cake is not appropriate. with a cross cake I usually think baptism, but for a 50th birthday cake, I would think it meant funeral. I know the party and the cake are a surprise, so I don't want her running out crying because she thinks he's calling her old!

7yyrt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
7yyrt Posted 29 Jul 2009 , 6:32pm
post #10 of 10

You definitely want to make the cross a small item on the cake. It would be more interesting to need to look for it, a special little detail.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%